Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I made a discovery today about an exciting new math used at gun shows.

I'd taken a shotgun as trading stock, just in case I saw something worth dickering over. After walking around a bit and seeing plenty of unsold $150 primers I came to a table with a pretty little 50th Anniversary 10/22. Interesting gun. Looking it over I noticed two pretty deep dents and some muzzle powder residue from firing. Dealer is a guy I avoid like the plague because he's such a prick. He looked very gaunt like he was dying of cancer, so I figured maybe he'd have a little humility as he realized his end was nigh. Who knows, maybe he's trying to save his widow the trouble of dealing with his crap after he's gone?

He said the Ruger was NIB. I told him it was used. He said he bought it from the original owner. I said exactly, it's used, by definition, not to mention it's been handled and damaged, and fired.

But, I was still interested so I handed him my shotgun and said "trade me out of it". He wanted $500 for the Ruger and $150 per/1000 primers.

"What do you want?", he asks.

I told him I wanted $1350 for it. He offered me a used 10/22 and 2000 primers. LOL

I told him 5000 primers, the 10/22, and a bunch of 22 mag ammo. None of which I need btw, but wth, it's all fun and games.

He rolled his eyes and ranted and raved. You'd think I'd spent the night corn-holing his mother by his reaction.

"The 10/22 and 3000 primers is $1150!", he counters.

I'm doing to math in my head- $500+$450=$1150. And that's IF I agreed to pay those prices, which ain't happening.

"Your shotgun has no resale value. I can't get $900 for it."

"So why would you want it?" seemed like a reasonable response to his assessment. He had no answer for that.

We went back and forth a few more times and it was obvious he was high on his meds so I left.

Not the first time I've been insulted but never quite so blatantly.

I told my buddy after we left if I was an azzhole I would have told him "I'll just wait for whatever is killing you to finish it's work then I'll pick all this up for pennies on the dollar at your widows auction."

But I'm not an azzhole. Not yet anyway.

Last edited by Fireball2; 05/21/22.

LOL
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Fireball,

"Gun show math" sounds like an excellent counter punch to offset Antique Roadshow

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is exactly why I don’t do gun shows anymore.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Just like buying a truck tractor equipment I don't care what the price tag says if cash gets the price close to where it needs to be we might deal. Or if I'm trading something I'm worried about the difference.p

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Was at a swap meet today, old farmers, old engines,ect. Old guy had some fishing stuff, camping stuff. Was a small 8"x8" dove tailed wood box inside was a new cartridge case mouth tool, 2boxs of large rifle primers, 100 per box and a box of 40-50 small pistol primers and some stuff I don't know what it is! Had ten bucks on it, I offered 5, old guy said fine. Told the wife there's $25.00 in primers alone, and I can use the wood box!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
That is fascinating.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Speaking of high priced "gun stuff" ....

I know I am not alone here who puts stuff away and then, over the years, forgets "squirreling" it into some dark, forgotten corner. Today, I was going through some stuff I hadn't looked at for quite some time and lo-and-behold, discovered 24 boxes of 9 mm WW SXT NIB cartridges I had completely forgot I had. Voila!! Was that like finding gold nuggets or not?

Didn't really matter as I had plenty of 9 mm FMJ and HPs I could use anyway, but I thought I ought to look through everything tomorrow and see what other "hidden treasures" I might have stowed away in some dark corner. grin

Have a great weekend, boys and girls. Attend your local gun show and find some great deals. wink

L.W.

Last edited by Leanwolf; 05/21/22. Reason: Spelling.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have learned some people you can deal with, some you can not

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Maybe I missed it, but what kind of shotgun? Makes a difference...

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Jason280

Don’t confuse the issue by asking for the relevant information. After all, the gun show guy was the Ahole here, remember?

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You learn what gunshows to go to and which ones to avoid. Some small town ones in Or and WA are good to go. Some in Portland at the expo, not so much. The Jackson Armory and Holliday inn collectors west ones are good. Some guys are A holes and they are the one that are fun to fu ck with. Got to learn that too. Math in general is usually quite simple.. Even some shops are fun to deal with. There are pricks, learn to prick back..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Known cantankerous ass but looks like maybe he’s dying so let me try to get some schit I don’t want and then I’ll complain about how rude people are to me.

Makes a lot of sense.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You learn what gunshows to go to and which ones to avoid. Some small town ones in Or and WA are good to go. Some in Portland at the expo, not so much. The Jackson Armory and Holliday inn collectors west ones are good. Some guys are A holes and they are the one that are fun to fu ck with. Got to learn that too. Math in general is usually quite simple..
Most people learn.

Fireballz does not.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
"That is a very deal for you my friend."

Said Tuco

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I made a discovery today about an exciting new math used at gun shows.

I'd taken a shotgun as trading stock, just in case I saw something worth dickering over. After walking around a bit and seeing plenty of unsold $150 primers I came to a table with a pretty little 50th Anniversary 10/22. Interesting gun. Looking it over I noticed two pretty deep dents and some muzzle powder residue from firing. Dealer is a guy I avoid like the plague because he's such a prick. He looked very gaunt like he was dying of cancer, so I figured maybe he'd have a little humility as he realized his end was nigh. Who knows, maybe he's trying to save his widow the trouble of dealing with his crap after he's gone?

He said the Ruger was NIB. I told him it was used. He said he bought it from the original owner. I said exactly, it's used, by definition, not to mention it's been handled and damaged, and fired.

But, I was still interested so I handed him my shotgun and said "trade me out of it". He wanted $500 for the Ruger and $150 per/1000 primers.

"What do you want?", he asks.

I told him I wanted $1350 for it. He offered me a used 10/22 and 2000 primers. LOL

I told him 5000 primers, the 10/22, and a bunch of 22 mag ammo. None of which I need btw, but wth, it's all fun and games.

He rolled his eyes and ranted and raved. You'd think I'd spent the night corn-holing his mother by his reaction.

"The 10/22 and 3000 primers is $1150!", he counters.

I'm doing to math in my head- $500+$450=$1150. And that's IF I agreed to pay those prices, which ain't happening.

"Your shotgun has no resale value. I can't get $900 for it."

"So why would you want it?" seemed like a reasonable response to his assessment. He had no answer for that.

We went back and forth a few more times and it was obvious he was high on his meds so I left.

Not the first time I've been insulted but never quite so blatantly.

I told my buddy after we left if I was an azzhole I would have told him "I'll just wait for whatever is killing you to finish it's work then I'll pick all this up for pennies on the dollar at your widows auction."

But I'm not an azzhole. Not yet anyway.

You’re a grade a self righteous fûcking prick. Based on this post alone.

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WMR

Don’t confuse the issue by asking for the relevant information. After all, the gun show guy was the Ahole here, remember?

Apparently, the mission was to be an ahole. Mission accomplished.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WMR

This will be good.

Book it.

LOL

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Some gunshow guys the guns are irrelevant, it's the opportunity to be an azzhole that's their reason for being there. I just keep walking past those kind, don't gratify them by engaging them in conversation because the outcome is already known.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Any N frame Pachmayrs there?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Traded a couple of old used Tachistoscopes for a vintage Marbles knife at a gun/knife show years ago. Old guy asked, What’s a Tachistoscope?” I explained and he agreed to the trade.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 12 invisible), 1,477 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,570
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.