Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
For the state of TN, East TN has the best deer hunting.

Lol

Solid advice if trophy pigmy deer are what you seek

That’s funny

GB1

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Any of you fellas Public land hunters? I love public land because I can move around to different units if needed. I sorta treat the East like a collection of game units anyhow - smaller country than the West and it’s easy to bounce around every 4-5 days.

I’m sure this is a dumb question - most of us are.

Yes. Only public land for me. Mostly the Moshannon SF in PA

MM, Are the deer numbers as good as they once were there? Never hunted that region but always had a desire to.

No. They are there but the numbers are thin

I’ve heard that from a few folks that still run their hunting camps down there. Traditions in that neck of the woods run very deep it seems.

The northern PA hunting Camp scene is all about tradition. Many of them are still hopping mad that Rifle season opens on Saturday instead of Monday

I know the sheer horror of it and to boot they gave them that Sunday to hunt too....... bastards!!

Hunt...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CBB
Any of you fellas Public land hunters? I love public land because I can move around to different units if needed. I sorta treat the East like a collection of game units anyhow - smaller country than the West and it’s easy to bounce around every 4-5 days.

I’m sure this is a dumb question - most of us are.

Yes. Only public land for me. Mostly the Moshannon SF in PA

MM, Are the deer numbers as good as they once were there? Never hunted that region but always had a desire to.

No. They are there but the numbers are thin

I’ve heard that from a few folks that still run their hunting camps down there. Traditions in that neck of the woods run very deep it seems.

The northern PA hunting Camp scene is all about tradition. Many of them are still hopping mad that Rifle season opens on Saturday instead of Monday

I know the sheer horror of it and to boot they gave them that Sunday to hunt too....... bastards!!

Outrageous on all fronts!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Maine tracking in the snow.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I live in northern Maine and head south to hunt when I really want to put meat in the freezer, Specifically Pennsylvania.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a bit further drive but there is the Shawnee National Forest in Southern Illinois. Pretty good chunk of public ground. We even have a couple wilderness areas. It's one of the few "hilly" parts of the state. Nothing over 700', but nothing like the pool table flat parts a few hours north.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If you want a rugged, traditional experience, NY Adirondack Mountains. Literally thousands and thousands of acres of public land, and few people, if you get away from the roads. Any buck you get there will be well earned. There are some absolute bruisers in those mountains, and you will work your tail off getting your kill to the road.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I would go to Virginia and hunt in the Jefferson National Forest. My home when I was a youth!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PintsofCraft check your PM's.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’m in the same boat as the OP. I looked at Daniel Boone NF in Kentucky, Wayne NF in Ohio, and Shawnee State Forest in Ohio. All look very promising, and hopefully I’ll get the chance to hunt all 3, but I believe I have settled on the Allegheny NF in Pennsylvania. It’s only about 6 hours from home. The deer numbers seem good. If you’re not afraid of getting off the beaten path there seems to be lots of elbow room. The chances of decent 120”-130” bucks seems quite feasible.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Allegheny NF in Pennsylvania"
That's some beautiful woods.
I grew up hunting there. We had a camp in the heart of it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ohio, when driving out to Colorado I never saw so many road killed deer about 20 miles east of Columbus.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Washington County Pa.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Living in NC now, there’s a lot of public land but deer can be very tough to hunt, and in the east where I live you’ll likely be competing with dog hunters as well (if that makes a difference in your decision). I’m from WV originally and it’s still my favorite place to hunt. Very high populations, some large tracts of public land, and IMO nothing beats the hills.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I was working in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania I headed to Maryland for crossbow and muzzle-loader hunting within the so-called restricted zones. The deer population is quite high compared to anywhere else that I've hunted before. Easy access to lands surrounding public reservoirs made it even easier. These public lands are under-hunted. Years ago, it was "shotgun only" or open for archery hunting but that has changed for the better. Modern muzzle-loaders are quite accurate and lethal without the punishing recoil of a 12 gauge slug gun. Crossbows are easy to master and also quite deadly within reasonable distances. Try Maryland! - Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot a lot of whitetails on public land when I was stationed in VA. Pretty sure I could go back there and hit those same places and have a real good chance at taking deer. But after I retired from the USN I swore I would never be on the eastern side of the Mississippi River ever again.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Florida

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Teeder
"Allegheny NF in Pennsylvania"
That's some beautiful woods.
I grew up hunting there. We had a camp in the heart of it.

Here or the Adirondacks. I hunt the ANF a bunch in PA and there are some pretty remote areas (for the East) and with fewer hunters and the antler restrictions enacted years ago there are some huge bucks roaming these woods - fun hunting but with remote means a lot of work when you get one……but that’s half the fun!! Also some of the state forests in the center part of the state (Sproul and Moshannon).

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 05/26/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rawhide67
If you want a rugged, traditional experience, NY Adirondack Mountains. Literally thousands and thousands of acres of public land, and few people, if you get away from the roads. Any buck you get there will be well earned. There are some absolute bruisers in those mountains, and you will work your tail off getting your kill to the road.
That sounds a lot like Michigan’s UP. Deer are few and far between but there are more mature bucks on public land than other parts of the state. Miles and miles of public wilderness to explore usually without seeing other hunters all day if you get a few miles out of town and walk in off of the two tracks a bit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Like JMR40 notes, GA and AL have long seasons and liberal bag limits. GA, 2 bucks, 12 does. AL, 3 bucks, unlimited does. Nice thing about AL is if you're willing to move around the state you can hunt the rut from Nov to end of Jan in different locations. Several WMA's across the state that have set dates for hunts (rifle or muzzleloader)....I think archery is still always open on them. Lots of different terrain to hunt as well from fairly flat/rolling hills to mountains.

Yup I hunt primarily public land in Alabama and enjoy it.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 338rcm, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 12 invisible), 1,379 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,286
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.