24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Barnes, and CFE..Got there, then backed off to normal. Will tell you with each 1/2 grain there is 100fps

Right after this I shot a 1/4 plate with the 32@ 50yrds, and had no trouble penciling through

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
What's your take? Thanks

I'm on my 4th. The first 2 were failures, a 14" Contender barrel and a blued 700 SPS. I set aside the .204 after that for about 3, maybe 4 years, then had one built with a PacNor 3 L&G super match with a 1-12" twist. It was a very good shooter .. redeemed the cartridge in my eyes. Half inch was possible with every bullet I tried using Varget for the 39s and 40s and H335 for the 32s. Eventually the throat got so rough that it was ripping bullet jackets. At first it'd go 150 rounds or more without issues, without change in accuracy. After a few years I started noticing unexpected misses at 75-100 rounds into a day and sure enough, on paper I'd have tumbling bullets. Clean it good and it'd go almost as many rounds as it did the previous time but it was definitely going downhill. I shot it 'til I could only get about 15 rounds through it after cleaning before the bullets started failing in flight, then had it rebarreled. Again, PacNor 3 L&G with a 1-12" twist. I worked up loads from scratch. It surprised me, the top accuracy with the new barrel for each bullet was with exactly the same powder and charge weight as with the previous barrel despite switching from a varmint to standard sporter contour. The only difference is that first barrel would not stabilize the 40 grain VMAX but the current one will .. just that tiny difference between nominal twist and actual twist I guess.

I'm a huge .204 fan. For me it hits a sweet spot with .22-250 / .220 Swift trajectory over the distances I shoot but only .223 recoil and powder consumption. For the small rodents I mostly shoot, there's no visible difference in impact.

So far as coyotes ... I haven't stuck a coyote with it, but I have 4-5 boxes of the discontinued 45 grain Hornady soft points which the gun likes. It also likes the 40 grain Nosler BT. No wrong answer here other than not enough trigger time.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Built a 204R Pac Nor barrel in 2007-Savage action

Kilt a few p/dogs with it

Sent it back & re chambered it to 20 Practical

Ballistic twin & cheaper brass

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
In the wind with 39/40's, the 204 is pretty awesome in a dog town; they don't seem to unglue them as well as .224's and definitely not as well as the .224's and .243's that are in the same speed zone.

Still a very good choice and easier to hit with, drop and windage wise, over std. twisted 222's and .223 class cartridges and better than 17's in my book.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The little 204 Ruger is just so doggone much fun to shoot & hunt with! Recently wrote a little article and did a video to go along with it:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...the-204-ruger-video-article#Post17253783

https://ultimatereloader.com/2022/05/15/have-a-need-for-speed-try-the-204-ruger/

Regards, Guy

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Cascade
The little 204 Ruger is just so doggone much fun to shoot & hunt with! Recently wrote a little article and did a video to go along with it:

https://ultimatereloader.com/2022/05/15/have-a-need-for-speed-try-the-204-ruger/

Regards, Guy

For being the ultimate reloader, that guy fumbles around a lot.. A lot of that equipment is unnecessary too and gives new reloaders a false impression of what it actually takes to make good handloads. He's not about keeping it simple and nothing I've seen has shown me his handloads are any better than most guys using simple basic equipment.. I'm expecting my RCBS die set today. After I get the rifle in hand, I'll prove my point..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Regards, Guy

For being the ultimate reloader, that guy fumbles around a lot.. A lot of that equipment is unnecessary too and gives new reloaders a false impression of what it actually takes to make good handloads. He's not about keeping it simple and nothing I've seen has shown me his handloads are any better than most guys using simple basic equipment.. I'm expecting my RCBS die set today. After I get the rifle in hand, I'll prove my point..

Everyone does stuff differently. If we all did it the same way we’d never learn from one another. I like simple myself but I’d bet a dollar we all get to the same spot mostly.

I see posts on uniforming primer pockets and neck turning. If I HAD to do those to shoot, I’d shoot factory ammo but some guys love that stuff grin

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Regards, Guy

Hi BSA, that guy is me. We've had some pleasant exchanges before. smile

"Ultimate Reloader" is the name of the website & youtube channel, it belongs to a friend of mine. He asked me to do something on the 204 Ruger, which he hadn't covered before, and he knew I'd shot it quite a bit.

I also took the opportunity to demonstrate the arbor press & Wilson dies, simply because they're different from what most of us use.

Usually on "Ultimate Reloader" I present some real basic stuff. Loading on normal Lyman, Hornady and RCBS gear. This time I used the cool little arbor press, just because it's different and I enjoy using it.

BSA, I'm not in competition with you or anyone else here. I just figured perhaps my years of using the 204 Ruger might be of some interest to you. It's such a cool little cartridge. Enjoy!

Regards, Guy

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Had several friends take 204 barreled AR's to a prairie dog shoot in SD years ago. They ALL cooked the throats out of their barrels in no time. The round never caught my attention.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Had several friends take 204 barreled AR's to a prairie dog shoot in SD years ago. They ALL cooked the throats out of their barrels in no time. The round never caught my attention.
Even a 223 will do that if you aren't disciplined.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I met a guy who shoots an AR 15 in .223 on the prairie dog towns each year. He burns out the throat every time he goes and simply replaces the barrel before the next year. Replacing an AR 15 barrel is simple and usually pretty inexpensive. Personally I would rather take two or three rifles, but to each his own.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

I met a guy who shoots an AR 15 in .223 on the prairie dog towns each year. He burns out the throat every time he goes and simply replaces the barrel before the next year. Replacing an AR 15 barrel is simple and usually pretty inexpensive. Personally I would rather take two or three rifles, but to each his own.

2 or 3 rifles wouldn't qualify for a real Prairie Dog shoot, you need at least 12...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger

Regards, Guy

Quit being such a twit!

The guy is bringing good content into an otherwise dead forum and you're trying to what? Flex your reloading might?

Seems to me, it sure would be great to be talking about rifles and load data again without all the drama and chest thumping associated with the fugging internet and all it's drama. Wouldn't you agree?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
2 or 3 rifles wouldn't qualify for a real Prairie Dog shoot, you need at least 12...

I usually take about 6 or 7. My rifles include 17 Hornet, 204, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, & 6mm

Some years the dogs are thick and closer. Some years it's lucky to get any much under 300 yards. Some years it's cool, some years it's hot. I used to take three 223's. I'm down to taking only one. The best dog shoot I was on was in Wyoming in 1985, near where the North Platte comes out of the mountains. I took thousands of rounds and 6 rifles. We shot early morning until dusk. We shot PD's and other rodents for 6 days. We were often changing rifles just to keep the barrels from over-heating too much. The wife's were along. They shot 22LR's and shot an awful lot of rodents, not just PD's.

We will often clean rifles at the end of the day depending on how many shots we had with that rifle that day.

Last edited by Bugger; 05/17/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

another benefit of using Blue Dot or Alliant Steel and a host of other powders in that burn rate range...

12 to 13 grains of powder in each case... 2 to 3 shots every two minutes average...

I've shot 500 plus rounds in an afternoon, in a Sporter barrel with the 223, and never had it heat up enough to have to let it cool off...

and the rifle never lost accuracy all afternoon...

another reason I use bolt actions and no ARs to shoot sage rats...

used Blue Dot in my 22 Practical also.. 32 grain bullets... good velocity and accurate as always...

Unique, is also a good powder to use in 223 or 204... I use 10 grains in my 223s, with 40 or 50 grain bullets...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I have TC Venture 204 ruger predator model 110 twist. Tac 322 works good but my main 2 powders are RL10 and H4895. With a berger 35gr or 40gr hp.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

Shrap, who's driving your ammo wagon?

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 05/21/22.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Believe it or not, I do have a driver’s license…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Believe it or not, I do have a driver’s license…
Yeah but you can't drive the gun wagon AND the ammo wagon at the same time. With all those rifle cases, there has to be an ammo wagon to keep you in the fight... smile

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.