Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Have yet to have a rebounding hammer not work properly. Still don't like them, but then I grew up with old levers.
Same here. But they still don't inspire confidence in me πŸ˜„

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I I’m sending my other 45-70 in for some work, so I might get the Miroku out shooting. My oldest son has his eyes on it. I image I’ll be giving it to him, but not until my gunsmith is through with my other 45-70.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Remember having a conversation with our Browning rep about the B92s around 1984 or 85. Told him that we would not be able to keep them in stock if they also had offered them in the traditional cartridges like .44 WCF, .32 WCF, etc. etc.

He acted like he’d been gutshot. Then he said some smart-azz comment that apparently I knew more than their marketing people.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
10Glocks said somethings about where to mount a crescent butt plate on your shoulder! Do not mount on the shoulder!

Without further explanation, I will try to clarify that.
You do NOT mount the crescent on your shoulder. You can mount it one of two ways.
1. Upper part on biceps and lower tip in arm pit.
2. Lower tip in arm pit and upper tip in cup between shoulder arm joint and chest.

It took only one 45-90 shot to tell me that it was wrong (and possibly painful) to mount the butt plate on the shoulder.

Since learning to mount it correctly, no pain!

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Feel pretty fortunate to have had the success I have had. Hard to believe a thing could be killed with a rebounding hammer, a safety, and a fuggin crescent butt plate. πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am sooo butt hurt!

Pick on Winchester.browning , miruko etc etc.

BUT LEAVE MARLINS OUTTA THIS PLEASE! I

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crshelton
10Glocks said somethings about where to mount a crescent butt plate on your shoulder! Do not mount on the shoulder!

What I was getting at is that you don't mount a crescent on your shoulder like a flat butt - like on the outer portion of your pec near your collar bone. You mount it on your shoulder further out so the bottom portion of the crescent goes under your armpit. The top of the crescent will be pointed at the rotator cuff. All that area is still shoulder.

And really, all you have to do it shoulder the rifle to realize you shouldn't mount a crescent like a flat butt. You don't need to fire it to learn that. Feeling the bottom point of the crescent jabbing into your pectoralis should immediately tell you is unwise to fire when the rifle is mounted that way.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 05/25/22.
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I am sooo butt hurt!

Pick on Winchester.browning , miruko etc etc.

BUT LEAVE MARLINS OUTTA THIS PLEASE! I

I love Marlins, too. I've owned quite a few over the years. This is my great grandfather's 1893 take down made in 1901. It's in .30-30. He used to shoot turkeys with it in Pennsylvania. It was handed down to my grandfather who killed deer with it in Pennsylvania. It skipped my dad then came to me when my grandfather died. I've killed one deer with it. I shoot it only very occassionally. The flat part of the tip of the ejector is broken off, but it still ejects fine. It will go to my son one day.

Also in the picture is a whistle he made out of the tip of a deer antler. Its the loudest, smoothest sounding whistle I ever heard. And the other thing is a ancient silver plated commemorative .30-30 shell marked:

WINCHESTER REP. ARMS CO.
PATENTED AUG. 22, 1899
.30 CALIBER WINCHESTER
USE 32 S&W SMOKELESS

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The first gun I ever bought for myself, and the first centerfire rifle I ever owned, was a Marlin 336 I bought in 1986. Up until then, I had only hunted deer with shotguns. I bought it at BEST department store, along with a couple boxes of ammo. The same day I took it to the a range and sigted it in. That fall I took it out and killed, up until then, my biggest buck on my first hunt with that rifle.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 05/25/22.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Have yet to have a rebounding hammer not work properly. Still don't like them, but then I grew up with old levers.
Same here. But they still don't inspire confidence in me πŸ˜„

To be fair, my 1989 Winchester 94, made in CT, has a rebounding hammer too.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by JakeDog
I have no problem with mine, but I guess I'm not as bright as Shrapnel. I could do without the rebounding hammer/safety, but they work just fine and look better than any Winchester I could buy for under $20K

It’s not how bright you are, it is how observant you are. I showed the difference in a few pictures, you didn’t look or can’t see them.

Do they still work? Absolutely. Are they as well made? Absolutely not.

There are thousands of Winchesters under $20,000.00 that will shame the current offerings, but you don’t have to have one to have satisfaction in owning a lever action rifle. People even think Henry rifles are great.

This isn’t a debate on what works or what doesn’t, just an effort to show the difference…

Thanks for trying to enlighten the masses, I'm not sure what we'd do without you.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Per Region6,
"Hard to believe a thing could be killed with a rebounding hammer, a safety, and a fuggin crescent butt plate. πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚"

+1

More like a miracle that my 1886 TD .45-90 with all the above mentioned features could kill an Elephant, many cape Buff, leopard , etc, But it did + much more.

I bought my 1886 for hunting and not for a fashion show. And hunt it does.
Amazing how rarely other hunters ask about such minute details. Methinks they do not know or care about such trivia.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It seems that some people like certain things, while other people don’t like certain things. Further the people that like things are mad at the people that don’t like things because they like things.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Then he said some smart-azz comment that apparently I knew more than their marketing people.

Apparently he did know more about the lever gun market than their marketing people.

No problem- there ae other lever gun makers willing to supply hunters and shooters.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
And again the 'fire goes... Shrapnel was writing to the quality of the various builds, nothing more.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Shrapnel knows his stuff. He's worth reading and listening to. I had a chance to actually talk to him and we were able to discuss things and I understand his observations now.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Shrap is a sharp cookie! πŸ˜‰. Im honored to be able to call him a friend!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Love all of mine. I have three 1895, one a TR African Safari, the other a "Plain Jane" model both 405 WCFs, a vintage 1916 in 303 Brit and a gorgeous 1886 in 45-90

A good principle to guide me through life: β€œThis is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The Miroku-made Winchester lever guns I own now are the nicest lever guns I've ever owned. If the Miroku-made Browning reproductions were even better than these as Shrapnel attests, they must have been spectacular, indeed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A couple years ago I picked up a supposedly unfired Miroku Winchester Mod. 71 Deluxe. It is the nicest blue steel walnut rifle I have ever owned. Dark well checkered walnut and a deep almost black blue finish.

In keeping with my plan to have a .35 caliber old school lever gun with near .35 Whelen ballistics I had it rechambered to a .348 Ackley Improved. Laid in a healthy supply of 250 grain bonded Alaska Bullet Works bullets, H4350 and Federal 215 Match Primers and Starline brass. Hoping to get 2,500fps mv out of my load choice.

I sent three fired cases off and had Whidden make up .348 Ack. Imp. dies and got a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

I doubt any moose or bear I shoot with it will appreciate all the expense and trouble I went to.

Got rid of rebounding hammer, trigger job, cut barrel to 22", full length magazine tube and XS receiver sight and Pachmayer Sporting Clays recoil pad. Had Levergun Leather Works make me up a five round butt cuff with a brown bear carves on the cheek side and a one inch black sling from Montana Leather Slings.

Wife made me a smoke tanned moose hide scabbard for it and when I put my Filson Packer hat on and hold that rifle while sitting around the fire pit in the back yard, I look like a real old Alaskan Sourdough! It is a well made, well fit and well put together rifle. Just purdy to look at!

I am pleased with it, but really don't need it, as it won't do any thing my wonderful Marlin 45-70 won't do.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I own a Browning M71 Carbine and a Browning M53 and both are beautifully fit and finished. They shoot well too. This is my 71's maiden voyage with a red dot. Yeah, I know...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1minute, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,746
Posts18,457,750
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.