Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buddy told me more dogs been ruined with e-collars. So no thanks..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 79S

Is your buddy saying he has ruined more dogs with an ecollar than not? Or, is he stating he knows a larger number of people who do not know the proper use of an ecollar than those that do? An ecollar is merely a tool which has no ability in and of itself to make or break a dog.

Instead, it is up to the user to acquire the knowledge to properly use the tool to its best advantage. An ecollar is not the best tool for someone to learn by trial and error, especially for the dog. Blaming the ecollar for the shortcomings of the user is not something I would expect from a knowledgable trainer.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Light him up, is just a term to use the button.
With the varied settings on collars, your dog will tell you where it needs to be set to get their attention. Any more is not needed, as they get the picture....

When I started with ecollars, "fry" was the term used as there was only one setting and it was "Fry". Later, "lit up" began to be substituted as it was deemed gentler and more in tune with the thought process behind the use of ecollars at that time. It seemed to occur about the same time lights were put on the receivers though one wouldn't see the light come on when in the field. Later still it was "correction", "stimulus", "tap", or any number of less objectionable terms as the use of ecollars became more refined and as the method or characteristic of the shock changed.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the replies guys. Its apparent that some guys get it and some guys assume. Even with the terms “light em’ up” and “fry” used, those with knowledge and experience know that you’re not sending the dog to the electric chair. Others think you’re being cruel and unusual and need your butt kicked for the horrible way you treat your best friend. It’s the same with “force fetch”. I know it sounds like you’re forcing the dog to do something it doesn’t want to do in the first place, but it just isn’t so. The use of a toe hitch, ear pinch or e-collar is just a way to apply stimulus. As I said before, I will always force fetch a dog from here on out. It’s made his obedience level all around better because of it.

I know each dog is different and some can take enormous pressure while others cower at a harsh glance. I knew very early on that I would be e-collar training my Draht so right from the get go I had him wear the collar every time we were out. It wasn’t even turned on at first and then when it was used in training, I saw what level he responded to and actually used it on myself. To this day, bringing the collar and remote out is just like bringing out the shotgun or loading the crate. The dog has associated all this with his best times and relishes it. He doesn’t try to get away from it but instead is eager to have it on. To each his own I guess.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
As far as FF….if the Dig doesn’t respond to your acceptable level of “stimulus”, where do you go next”?

And let’s be honest….stimulus is a sugar coat for pain. Sounds better to the uninformed. Both those for and against the blood sports.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
And the newer collars are using a different type (for lack of a better word) of shock that produces a different degree of shock. Something about the wavelength(?) which results in a less intense shock. I might be wrong but I understand it as the difference between the zap you get touching an electric fence powered by a 6v lantern battery and placing your tongue across the anodes of a 9v transistor battery.

At least I think this is a newer development, I've just been hearing of it lately. It could be what Dogtra has been doing for years as they have a much greater degree of adjustment than Tritronics. It might explain why the trainer I know best refers to some dogs as Dogtra dogs and others as TT dogs.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
You could be right about the stimulus on the Dogtra. That’s what I have and the range is from 1 to o think around 130 or so. My dog responds at around 27-30. Barely anything at all.
As for what’s next if the dog doesn’t respond to the stimulus, I’ve never had one not so I guess I’d have to think about it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’m not completely against FF, but I’ve seen it get ugly.

laissez les bons temps rouler
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Originally Posted by 79S

Is your buddy saying he has ruined more dogs with an ecollar than not? Or, is he stating he knows a larger number of people who do not know the proper use of an ecollar than those that do? An ecollar is merely a tool which has no ability in and of itself to make or break a dog.

Instead, it is up to the user to acquire the knowledge to properly use the tool to its best advantage. An ecollar is not the best tool for someone to learn by trial and error, especially for the dog. Blaming the ecollar for the shortcomings of the user is not something I would expect from a knowledgable trainer.

He’s seen people (not trainers)improperly use them. They start hitting the shock button for stupid chit and the dog has no idea what they did wrong. If we were to do it with our youngest lab it would be with a trainer. No way in hell I do it, not saying I’m a idiot who would shock the dog for no reason, but I’m not comfortable doing it.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You don't need a license to be a dog trainer or horse trainer, all most trainers do it tell every one they are a trainer and get some cards printed, very few are qualified for the job, but they can talk a good game, funny how that works. Rio7

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But our youngster demonstrates everything Battue said. Loves to fetch, listens to you, when you throw the ball or bumper he’s looking for it in the air. In the house he will find a ball and flip it in your lap. He needs works, but has a lot of potential being a good duck dog.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started using the e collar about thirty years ago with my last three Labs. All of them had and have the same positive reaction to it that Mbogo2106 described re his dog. It's like the e collar means good times ahead. IMO the e collar training also overlapped into a positive overall effect on their behavior/obedience even when they weren't wearing it.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 05/10/22.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

He’s seen people (not trainers)improperly use them. They start hitting the shock button for stupid chit and the dog has no idea what they did wrong. If we were to do it with our youngest lab it would be with a trainer. No way in hell I do it, not saying I’m a idiot who would shock the dog for no reason, but I’m not comfortable doing it.

He sounds like an idiot.Shock is only used for life threatening situations. I use lower shock setting to break dogs at young age chasing, deer, rattle snakes. and other critters they are not to supposed with leave it command. Continuos shocking will quickly kill a dog's desire to hunt with you and ruin it.

. Vibrate or beep works great for training reinforcement. and II use a food reward in conjunction with ecollar on vibrate early in dog's training. After a month of sessions rarely have to use. I still will always have an e collar on while hunting for back up

Putting on e collar means fun times. Ive been fortunate to never have had to force fetch any of my dogs. Some at a year or so will have a stubborn streak and not complete fetch, get distracted and back on the long lead they go til over it. it end pretty quickly. Training should be enjoyable for both

Last edited by ribka; 05/10/22.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I never use a setting if I haven't tested it on myself first. The original one power level collars were a wreck waiting to happen.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
H
H
Force fetching a dog is a building block for training a gun or test dog. It should not cause pain to a dog in the process. For me, it’s purpose is to add pressure to a dog and teach him how to handle and turn the pressure off. It is very important that a dog is able to handle pressure and knows how to handle it and not shut down. When I say pressure, I’m not referring to pain. I’m referring to a dog wanting to please and understanding how to communicate.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fetch means fetch.
This guy snuck in and attacked a goose decoy !
A load of #2 steel ended his appetite for goose breasts..
Trap watched the whole thing go down.
After getting to the coyote, he smelled it all over, but figured on a hold, and brought it back to me.
Here he's at the house, just as proud as could be, carrying around a 43 pound coyote.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by splattermatic; 05/16/22.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 79S

how man y bird dogs has your buddy trained?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
And the newer collars are using a different type (for lack of a better word) of shock that produces a different degree of shock. Something about the wavelength(?) which results in a less intense shock. I might be wrong but I understand it as the difference between the zap you get touching an electric fence powered by a 6v lantern battery and placing your tongue across the anodes of a 9v transistor battery.

At least I think this is a newer development, I've just been hearing of it lately. It could be what Dogtra has been doing for years as they have a much greater degree of adjustment than Tritronics. It might explain why the trainer I know best refers to some dogs as Dogtra dogs and others as TT dogs.

get a collar with a vibrate mode. Most have that function

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ribka
get a collar with a vibrate mode. Most have that function

I've been using that feature for 30 years maybe. I use it as a silent Whoa command. The use you are suggesting is just as easily handled with stimulus with no greater amount of pain.

I also use the tone feature, a short blip is for the dog to check back with me and a steady tone is the recall. These "silent" commands are very nice when birds are spooky, the dogs are at longer range, and/or when it is windy. I've had people think my dogs are mind readers as the dogs appear to know my intentions without me saying a word.

Ecollars are a tremendous boon to dog training but, like any other tool - even a leash- it can be abused by those who have no clue on how to properly use one or if intentionally misused. I've trained dogs with a number of modern training tools and have done it without. I'll take the modern tools any day of the week.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
What are the thoughts on here?

As usual, my thoughts aren't gonna meld well with the gun dog crowd. I've never even needed to think about force fetching as a way to get a dog to retrieve. Not fan of compulsive training. Its not necessary.

Maybe true for an average Joe bird hunter who is willing to put up with mediocre performance. Run field trials, Master Hunter level hunt tests, NAVHDA Utility level tests and see how far you'll get without force fetch training.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.