Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, TR.

I’m fortunate the wife’s hobby is cooking and baking. It’s a blessing and a curse.

Lol

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I make grilled flatbread often.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Cracked rye is good in white bread.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Late evening snack with some honey butter

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
Using the right flour and a bit of malt, you won't need 'starter'... Local stores have flour suitable for maybe coating chicken.....but NOT for bread. It takes high-protein stuff for a proper loaf.. (I found that out the hard way... laugh )

I make 4-5 different loaves - from white, raisin, dark rye and cinnamon etc...

We used a local mill at the restaurant ... Adluh flour. But White Lilly is also very very good.

Some beautiful breads in this thread.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hairy_Clipper
There are seven difference types or layers of flour on each grain of wheat. The ones called 1st and 2nd Clear Flour have the highest ash content. High ash content = Big Flavor! Clear flours are typically not found in your neighborhood grocery store, but, is typically available in commercial bakery supply houses. Many times it is sold with the 1st and 2nd Clear flours combined and can be called such names as powerful clear and other proprietary names. The drawback is you may have to purchase it in a 50 pound bag. You can freeze flour, but, you need to defrost it in your refrigerator, not on a countertop.

High ash content makes for much better tasting and flavorful bread! You can thank me later.

Shout - out to the Hairy Clipper

16 year member with 16 posts and an expert on flour. Must've been a grind just waiting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ella
Originally Posted by Toddly
I like making bread.

[Linked Image from ]
Originally Posted by Toddly
Ramp and Morel focaccia bread !

[Linked Image from ]

That focaccia! Who'd have thought of morels and ramps?

Toddly, did you make the board?

Mine looks like this.

Morels and ramps came wild from the woods around us! Bread is easy once you learn. You need to use a Dutch oven at 450 degrees. It steams the bread and makes a hearty crust.

No I didn’t make the board.

Your bread looks awesome but if you use a bread lame (razor blade) to score the top before hand and fresh flour before the lame you can bake one like mine or better. It’s easy.
I don’t bake much in the summer, more of a winter sport. 😀

Last edited by Toddly; 05/21/22.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by Morewood
Originally Posted by Hairy_Clipper
There are seven difference types or layers of flour on each grain of wheat. The ones called 1st and 2nd Clear Flour have the highest ash content. High ash content = Big Flavor! Clear flours are typically not found in your neighborhood grocery store, but, is typically available in commercial bakery supply houses. Many times it is sold with the 1st and 2nd Clear flours combined and can be called such names as powerful clear and other proprietary names. The drawback is you may have to purchase it in a 50 pound bag. You can freeze flour, but, you need to defrost it in your refrigerator, not on a countertop.

High ash content makes for much better tasting and flavorful bread! You can thank me later.

Shout - out to the Hairy Clipper

16 year member with 16 posts and an expert on flour. Must've been a grind just waiting.

Morewood-I got a good chuckle out of your comment! I am a patient soul and enjoy a good laugh. I read much more than I post as you may have guessed.

We had a local baker that went to school with my mother a century ago that made Vienna Bread and was the best tasting bread I have ever eaten. His bakery was half a block away from my barber shop and there were frequent morning stops there to tend to my sweet tooth over the years. I tried for twenty years to duplicate Don's recipe and was able to get close, but, never quite had the flavor and texture that Preuss' Bakery produced. Before he retired, when he was in for a haircut we would talk bread baking and over the course of 18 months he revealed two secrets to making his Vienna Bread. The Clear Flour was the first. The second is to scald the milk or use dried milk. According to Don, there is an enzyme found naturally in milk that will make the crumb tough and by scalding the milk that enzyme's effect on the crumb is stopped and a tender crumb is the result.

As for being a flour expert, I knew nothing about flour until receiving my proper instruction from Master Baker Don Preuss who grew up in Waterville, Minnesota. And yes Don was a cousin of the famous wildlife artist and winner of the first Duck Stamp competition Roger Preuss. Don's brother Glenn ran a bakery in Waterville, Minnesota and lived there his entire life while Don moved to Waseca, Minnesota to run his bakery here. The first lesson was on the layers within each grain of wheat. I have proof read a number of optically scanned books on bread baking, wheat growing and it's development, the history of bread and milling for The Gutenberg Project. Expert? Observer and gleaner of the knowledge of others perhaps.

Before moving on and awaiting another year before adding my 2¢ to this wonderful outdoor forum I feel obliged to add one more thing. If you truly want to bake that old world type of bread with thick chewy crust and crumb with delightful flavor seek out by purchasing or your local library any of the bread baking books by Peter Reinhart where he teaches about extended rise times and the effect it has on protein chain development. If you like great bread it is worth your time to read and learn. Or you cut & paste the link below in your browser for a PDF of Peter's book, THE BREAD BAKE'S APPRENTICE.

https://www.academia.edu/27493778/Peter_Reinhart_The_bread_baker_s_apprentice

Until next time I will be joining my old friend Punxsutawney Phil in the burrow until we emerge in 2023 for my annual dissertation on the obscure things of life in the ensuing installment of Fun Facts To Know And Tell!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hairy, if the barber gig flops, I'm sure there's a spec ops team that needs your patience.

Thanks for the useful knowledge. See you again when I retire.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Loves, and fish from a Church potluck.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
Grandpa used to say “these light bread folks is a ruining our women”

Mine too. And you know what? He was right. Hard to find a woman who can cook a good pan of biscuits these days. Much less…a dutch oven full.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I got inspired by you jokers. Have a batch rising right now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by worriedman
In a galaxy long ago, hit the barn to milk at 4:30, Grandma had breakfast rolling by the time the milk cans were rolled to the driveway. Nobody needed to ring a bell, you could smell the sourdough biscuits when they came out of the oven, more like little loaves of bread but the taste and texture was wonderful. Jersey butter and bacon out of the smoke house, home made sausage and hen fruit fresh from the boxes.

I smell fresh baked bread and I see her standing at that old stovfe with her apron clutched around a hot pan of biscuits turning to bring them to the table.

Great memories retold of a simpler time. Love it.

Reminds me of when friends would gather to bale hay and put it up. always a hot day and then the big feed at the days end. Miss those days alot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is threads like this that make the "Fire" great.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Diesel
Absolutely.......

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I downloaded the PDF

gonna ask my wife to check it out

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Diesel

Absolutely!

Garlic Naan , Trying lamb vindaloo to go with it next.

and Pizza! Its gotten where a good pie is more than 30 bucks around here

.... like tears in the rain
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by high_country_
Hairy, if the barber gig flops, I'm sure there's a spec ops team that needs your patience.

Thanks for the useful knowledge. See you again when I retire.

high country- Back in the early 1970s my lottery number was 44 and after two trips to the Twin Cities for a physical the military doctors decided to classify me as 4F. Being a young kid that didn't know any better I asked what 4F meant? The fellow in the center of the desk in charge of the review panel told me the women and children would go before me! I harbor doubts that spec ops is in my future as a participant within the group.

Unlike many I see long term goals to the end no matter how long it takes.

My last baking tip for the day since I see someone mentioned making biscuits. Biscuits get tough for a variety of reasons the most prevalent being overworking the dough which develops high levels of gluten. This can be prevented by using one of the 7 layers of flour on a grain of wheat commonly known as Cake Flour. Cake flour does develop some gluten, but, not very much, thus making for very tender Baking Powder Biscuits.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I I hake a loaf or so every week. I do sourdough or yeast. Tonight Ill start a yeast dough with rosemary and olives.
That will go good with smoked salmon.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for that PDF link, Hairy Clipper! Bookmarked. Enjoying it already.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 56 invisible), 3,182 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.