Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I already know the answer, Whatda guys say?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The one you miss.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by szihn
The one you miss.

Ok, toughest species of buck to kill smartass! 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
The big old smart ones that go nocturnal during hunting season. The only way you know they exist is you get a glimpse of him on your trail camera once or maybe twice. usually very late at night or early in the morning before dawn. There like a ghost.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Blacktail.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
We've been on the trail of one bit toad for a number of years. Tracks as big as your hand. Nocturnal bugger. Seems to know it's the season. Not sure about the rack but guessing 300 lbs or so. Hoping to catch up one day.

Last edited by bluefish; 05/22/22.

The way life should be.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
An old whitetail that isn't interested in the rut.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
old Whitetail buck in Northern Minnesota that lives in wolf country in a tamarac swamp . these old bucks here a strange noise, weird smell , flash of a light they stay low in a sneaky hiding place . had one old buck that lived by my hunting cabin because he knew wolves stay away from there ,buck had water .food and a 15 acre thick pine-tamarac wet woods no one ever went into and it was a very quiet place. so in the fall if he heard a door open he stayed hiding. but that old buck made one mistake after the rifle season and musket season ,he was thin and hungry from hiding. so on December 28th right at sunset this old 12 pt. walk out in the soybean field 30 yards away and myself hiding in a ground blind waiting yet for a decent buck that year ,i put an arrow thru his lungs with my x-bow and ended his life. i had never seen this old run down buck for a few years he was a ghost and did not know he even was still around. this old run down buck dressed only 165 lbs. no fat on him would have never made the winter but he still had a very nice 12 pt. unique typical rack.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A whitetail buck living in heavily timbered country. If you add hunting outside of the rut, makes him even more difficult to kill.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There was a whitetail buck that was using on my place about 40 years ago. He was bedding across the road on a neighbor that did not allow hunting, and would cross the road coming on my farm after dark, and going back before dawn. I saw his tracks almost daily. The only time I ever laid eyes on him was at midnight, and he was a nice one, probably would have dressed out over 200 pounds and I'm guessing a 150 to 170 B&C score. I have always believed that could I have hunted on that neighbor, I'd have a chance at him.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
High pressure public land 3.5 yo and up age class buck.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That damn mechanical robo deer the DNR puts out

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by szihn
The one you miss.

Ok, toughest species of buck to kill smartass! 😂😂

As far as species go. Put a Good bullet in the right place, use a capable caliber, and they all die.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
That damn mechanical robo deer the DNR puts out

Haha that’s a good one. 👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My only frame of reference is what we have here in WA (so the regions are in WA, not around the country. I don’t really think any of them absorb bullets any better than others. But, here’s my observations in public land/private land that everyone gets permission to hunt:

Mule Deer: Easiest. You’ll put in lots of hiking with big elevation changes, but it’s relatively easy going. Where they live allows them to be spotted from a longer distance. They have a curiosity problem and will often give you a shot after they’ve been pushed.

SE Whitetails: Second Easiest. Same as mule deer, they just don’t give you a second chance. Push them, and they’ll run to the next county.

NE Whitetails: Hard. Really cagey before the rut. Thicker vegetation than in the SE and it’s all noisy. At least it’s noisy for the deer as well. I’ve heard a few coming before I saw them.

Blacktails: Hardest. They’re quiet, nocturnal, and have food and water everywhere. For me, they’re really hard to spot at longer distances vs other species. The only saving grace seems to be they’ll stay in a fairly small area vs migratory deer herds. The areas they live are super thick and even the open areas are hard to walk through with overgrown slash piles.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Big, old, mature muley bucks......and yes, I'm biased. The absolute biggest bucks we've seen over the past 16 years, we've only seen once and didn't kill any of them.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Had a friend in PENN back in the 80s who was keeping an eye on really large buck that pretty much was nocturnal and he saw him only a few times over a two year period. He missed him in archery season and didnt see him the rest of the archery and buck season. He figured someone else got him or was struck by a car. That same year during the two day doe season, the first day was warm and foggy, low and behold he trotted by his stand at roughly 40 or 40 yards. Last time he ever saw him.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Jud I would have to say a mature whitetail buck in SC at the end of December. He has hunting pressure for at least 4 months with legal times starting 1 hour before sunrise to 1 hour after sunset. The dumb ones have long been shot.

GreggH

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting topic Jud - and I'd expect most answers would be the one people have the most familiarity.

Big woods whitetail in a non-rut situation (sans baiting) would get my vote.

But I can easily understand those responding with trophy mule deer (due to the general lack of them) or blacktails.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Blacktail hands down

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.