Print Thread
Hop To
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Looking for reviews on the Aken SH4 Gen2 6-24x50.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/arken-sh4-gen2-6-24x50-vpr-mil.7095708/

Normal amount of no sense you'll have to sift through, but there is some info in there. Hope it helps.

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thank you

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Have two 6-24s. Awaiting a 4-16 (cuz 30% off sale) to go with a HK91.

Plus. Seems solid, good turrets working perfectly so far. Glass a pleasant surprise, maybe bit better than the SWFAs, if that matters. Happen to really like the reticle. Very audible clicks, if that matters.

Minus. Heavy, as in very. Illumination kinda weak in most light, but don't really care. Reviews note failures in submergence tests, don't care about that either.

Think they're decent value, even better value at 30% off. Nice "rigid precision mount".

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I'll echo what Sam_H says about my 6-24 SH4.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one and it has tracked and held zero perfectly for just over a year and 1k or so rounds. I have it set up on a long range rock chuck 204 where the weight isn't an issue. Good value for that usage. YouTube has endless reviews as well.

100% Public land DIY!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
tag

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just ordered one while the sale was still on. Hard to beat the value of these scopes at $325 plus added the 34mm rings and got the 30% off on those too...

If it is as good as the 4-16 I got a few weeks ago I'm going to really like it...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I personally MUCH prefer the 4-16x,but that would apply to any/all Manufacturers and ain't a Barkin' Arken slight. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I prolly shoulda checked the Mail yesterday,looking for more. Hint...................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
'Stick, How would you compare these with your typical SWFA?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Barkin' Arken,is a wayyyyyyyyyy different can of corn. By default and as per my wants/needs,it's Giggle Glass,best suited for Play Toys. That ain't a slight,but an accurate descriptor,as per my platforms and their applications. Hint.

They wear 34mm tubes and that in and of itself,changes thangs. My advice is to HAPPILY jump aboard the Barkin Arken train tracks and rock their rings,which are rather Skookum,both in Theory and Application. There's nearly a pound difference betwixt a Meat & Taters 6x MQ/3-9x MQ and a Barkin' Arken 4-16x. If only for conversation. Hint.

Barkin' Arken's have rather nice parallax control,illumination and a mechanical zero stop,none of which sucks. Their reticle is fhuqking EXCEPTIONALLY well thunked and the feature set should boast "Created by dudes who actually fhuqking SHOOT!". That is readily apparent,even in fhuqking passing and they GET "it". Fhuqk ALL of The Fluff and simply cut to THE fhuqking chase. WELL done and I don't mean "maybe". This schit is REFRESHING! Hint.

There's NOTHING on a Barkin' Arken that'd lead to the train of thought,that "these guys are fhuqking around". The zero stop incorporates a S/S TDC set screw atop the turret and there's a brass horizontal retaining set screw,that pins same in place,right above the "0". Both are visible in the above image,next to a 3-9x HD MQ. Same goes the parallax rheostat and the relative sizing of the turrets and their MUCH increased font size,which SAVES the day,for more than a few folks. Diopter adjustments and eye-relief,play rather nicely too. Hint.

Erector travel is rather forgiving at 35-ish Mil's on the 4-16x,with zero stop unlocked(obviously). They fhuqking TRACK,repeat and thus far hold zero. Poke one aboard a GOOD 22LR,stabbed with 60-ish MOA inclination and it is THE Fast Track to understanding what do what and more importantly WHY. Hint.

You mighta' talked me into a couple/few more. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree the 4-16 is plenty of scope for shooting. What I've found the last few years is that it seems animals are often skittish as heck and with my ageing eyes I like to have that little bit of extra power to catch a glimpse of something way out there in the tree line, or hiding behind a bush or otherwise making it difficult to find them. I can always dial back to a reasonable shooting power, but I can't always see what I want to see without enough power. At least in my head I think it is necessary. In the long run I just want to do a Big Stick and try everything to see how I like it.... but I won't be giving any Big Stick type reviews on my equipment... LOL

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Sheister
I like to have that little bit of extra power to catch a glimpse of something way out there in the tree line, or hiding behind a bush or otherwise making it difficult to find them. I can always dial back to a reasonable shooting power, but I can't always see what I want to see without enough power.

I sure hope we are not hunting the same area

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
Originally Posted by Sheister
I like to have that little bit of extra power to catch a glimpse of something way out there in the tree line, or hiding behind a bush or otherwise making it difficult to find them. I can always dial back to a reasonable shooting power, but I can't always see what I want to see without enough power.

I sure hope we are not hunting the same area

Seriously? You've never been hunting across a canyon and needed to identify if an elk you could see was a spike or a branch antler? Or if the critter you saw walking across the way was a deer or elk once it got into the trees? How about a coyote that comes in but hangs up a long ways out there behind a sage brush? Or a rock chuck that has been shot over and likes to just peak his head up at a long distance once in a while to see if the coast is clear?

I've had lots of instances like that where a little more power than I was carrying would have been handy. Your comment is foolish and makes it seem you don't really hunt much in open country...

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Searching for animals with a mounted riflescope is not same as using riflescope magnification to assess size/antlers/intervening obstructions of an animal before taking the safety off. The latter is something I do as needed.

Last edited by Sam_H; 05/30/22.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
2 very different scenarios

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
2 very different scenarios

You are assuming a lot that was never implied...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

405 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 1,661 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,227
Posts18,447,699
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.