Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Fullfan Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Live remote kind of, last home on the power line. Bad storm Friday evening had trees down everywhere. Power has been out since 1930 Friday.

Convinced the wife back in Sept that we need a kohler 20kw stand by generator.

Well she has been puring right along, shut it off every 8 hours, just for a break and oil check.

Quite an investment, but paying for it’s self now.

If you ever considered getting one. Don’t hesitate.

Don't gobble at me
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't go big but I am glad I am setup to have the essentials for an extended power outage

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Fuel type?

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Someone a while back mentioned they had a NG well on their own property and ran a 9k Honda (IIRC) 24/7/365.

That was brilliant and I covet the idea.

I have a couple of MEP-002As... had R&P Carriages make me some custom torsion axles. Fair solution, but new technology is better if you don't need so much power or 3 Phase.

Good luck.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by CashisKing; 05/23/22. Reason: Added pic

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes, worth every penny to this taxpayer.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also put in a NG 20KW Kohler after some research. Everyone recommended it over the Generac. Fortunately, I have not had to battle test my system, but I have no doubt it will perform as advertised.

Smart move on shutting down and checking things.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
We install everything from whole house to critical circuit generators for people all the time. Sometimes can be expensive but very nice to have when you need it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
After 2 extended outages in recent times, it was time to get enough generator to run the entire ranch.

Needed around 30kw. Opted for a PTO generator, because I already have tractors to run it.

Welded a 3 point hitch setup. Frame, legs set at the exact height to keep the driveline level, cover, and wooden floor mount for the generator itself.

I just hook it up to the tractor, and back to the transfer switch and plug it in.

The 75hp tractor running it has an economy mode PTO. It'll run that generator for quite awhile on a tank of diesel. smile Only turning 1500rpm's when generator is at optimal hertz.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
After 2 extended outages in recent times, it was time to get enough generator to run the entire ranch.

Needed around 30kw. Opted for a PTO generator, because I already have tractors to run it.

Welded a 3 point hitch setup. Frame, legs set at the exact height to keep the driveline level, cover, and wooden floor mount for the generator itself.

I just hook it up to the tractor, and back to the transfer switch and plug it in.

The 75hp tractor running it has an economy mode PTO. It'll run that generator for quite awhile on a tank of diesel. smile Only turning 1500rpm's when generator is at optimal hertz.

Nice work.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

You get to use no road taxed diesel and also claim fuel cost as farm expense?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fullfan
Live remote kind of, last home on the power line. Bad storm Friday evening had trees down everywhere. Power has been out since 1930 Friday.
Convinced the wife back in Sept that we need a kohler 20kw stand by generator.
Well she has been puring right along, shut it off every 8 hours, just for a break and oil check.
Quite an investment, but paying for it’s self now.
If you ever considered getting one. Don’t hesitate.
Don't know about Kohler, but if you have a Generac running during an extended power outage you need to shut down every day and check oil. My 22KW will use down to the add mark every 2 days. My neighbor kept restarting his when it automatically shut down for low oil and burned his motor up. Also check the air intake for leaves, he had that issue also. I mentioned to another friend to check his 22KW after an extended run and he didn't have oil on the stick. Other than oil consumption my Generac has brought us through some extended outages (one was 2 weeks) without a hitch. We bought it in 2017.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by joken2

I am qualified to use off road fuel and get the state tax deleted from any diesel I use off road.

Any fuel expenses related to agriculture use are sent to my accountant for whatever he does with that amount on annual returns, yes.

BUT.... I don't use off road diesel in anything. My transfer diesel tank is on the back of my pickup, and that's where I fuel my equipment from. But not only my equipment, but my pickup itself. I've had long trips, and other times where I simply fill my pickup up from the transfer tank. If I ran red diesel in my transfer tank I couldn't do that.

Well, I COULD do it, but that red dye stays in your pickup tank for a LONG time, and if caught, the state will fine you like $5k per occurrence. And they are the ones who calculate how many times you've done that... crazy

You'd rather get caught robbing the bank than having red diesel in a vehicle you drive on the road. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
We have a third world power grid. Our power is down all the time and it's frequently out for 24 hrs+.

It was nice to have power Easter morning with a house full of extended family.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I looked into getting a Generac recently. It took 5 frickin' months to finally get a quote. Finally told the Generac rep that if it took that long to get a quote, just how long would it take to get service if needed. Told him to pound sand, I'll find an alternative.
Then talking to my brother on the farm and he told me that we still have the old PTO driven unit sitting around there that he doesn't need any more if I wanted it. SO, next time back to the farm, I'll be loading it and bringing it out.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by joken2

I am qualified to use off road fuel and get the state tax deleted from any diesel I use off road.

Any fuel expenses related to agriculture use are sent to my accountant for whatever he does with that amount on annual returns, yes.

BUT.... I don't use off road diesel in anything. My transfer diesel tank is on the back of my pickup, and that's where I fuel my equipment from. But not only my equipment, but my pickup itself. I've had long trips, and other times where I simply fill my pickup up from the transfer tank. If I ran red diesel in my transfer tank I couldn't do that.

Well, I COULD do it, but that red dye stays in your pickup tank for a LONG time, and if caught, the state will fine you like $5k per occurrence. And they are the ones who calculate how many times you've done that... crazy

You'd rather get caught robbing the bank than having red diesel in a vehicle you drive on the road. wink

I understand, and thanks for the reply...

Cousin of mine keeps off road diesel he uses in storage tanks on his farm. Last I heard him say was he was going to go with a PTO generator so as to take advantage of the tax savings. His personal pickup trucks are always diesels, too, but he uses road taxed diesel in them for the same reason as you. There's two gas stations that sell diesel less than a mile of his home and farm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Woke up to no power this morning. Wheeled out the generator, hooked it up to the house propane, hit the switch. Toasted bagel and coffee.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m gonna get one soon

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We have a 8500 watt on standby with a transfer switch wired in. This allows us to run a few things in the house at the same time. Total investment was $1,000. Our local power outages occur less and less so think I'll stick with this.
Keep the generator full of non ethanol and 10 gallons of gas on hand. Run it every 18 months or so to make sure everything is fine.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Son Jake bought this DeWalt.

We have a PTO big enough to run the farm.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I have a diesel 20KW comercial generator

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
452 members (1Longbow, 300jimmy, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.