Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Know some people in Louisiana that ran a big one on NG for a week after Ida. Fuel was1000 bucks for a week.

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by TRnCO
I looked into getting a Generac recently. It took 5 frickin' months to finally get a quote. Finally told the Generac rep that if it took that long to get a quote, just how long would it take to get service if needed. Told him to pound sand, I'll find an alternative.
Then talking to my brother on the farm and he told me that we still have the old PTO driven unit sitting around there that he doesn't need any more if I wanted it. SO, next time back to the farm, I'll be loading it and bringing it out.

Have you found one?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Do they make them to run on propane?

Jim
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mcknight77
Do they make them to run on propane?
Generacs will run on propane or NG. I believe all you have to do is turn the knob. Propane is there when all else fails.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Know some people in Louisiana that ran a big one on NG for a week after Ida. Fuel was1000 bucks for a week.
That sounds awful high unless it was a real big one. After Hurricane Laura our 22KW Generac was running on about $75 worth of propane a day but most folks would be able to shut one down part of the day which is what we did after a few days. NG is cheaper than propane but you lose a couple of KWs on NG.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 6700 Yamaha and it works great. Just have to shut off the solar panels before starting it up. Five minutes and she is good to go.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would my generator just enough to keep my freezers good

I would not be letting it run balls to the wall just so I could watch Pat Sajak and Murder She Wrote and the regular 10 hours of daily Boomer television consumption.

Run it 4-5 hours tops in a 24 hour period.

Use it to also charge a battery bank of several deep cycles too and then run low demand appliances off of those batts via DC to AC invertor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

They are expensive. But I was sure glad I had mine. Ran over 60 hours during our big freeze. Looks like we are in for power grid problems in the future. 22 KW is big enough to run every thing in our house plus help out a couple of neighbors.
Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a generac 22kw. Was here when I bought my place. Despite living a ways out our power is pretty reliable, dang it. The generator has done fine during the few times our power has gone out and when I turn it off to exercise it. It comes on once a week to test itself too. Mine runs on propane. No NG out here.

That said it’ll run everything in the house. We don’t have huge demands though. Do have central AC but it isn’t like running an AC somewhere where it gets actual hot.

Have a wood stove too. So I feel pretty comfortable when the grid is down.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by TRnCO
I looked into getting a Generac recently. It took 5 frickin' months to finally get a quote. Finally told the Generac rep that if it took that long to get a quote, just how long would it take to get service if needed. Told him to pound sand, I'll find an alternative.
Then talking to my brother on the farm and he told me that we still have the old PTO driven unit sitting around there that he doesn't need any more if I wanted it. SO, next time back to the farm, I'll be loading it and bringing it out.

Have you found one?

read to the end of my post..^^

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Alot of people go big on stand-by output, which I don't understand. If the grid goes down, fuel will be a choke point and the less you need, the better. So go for efficency. You need to be able to run some lights, the computer, hot water heater, well pump and fridge and freezer and maybe the funrnace and not necessarily all at once.

Tarquin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Alot of people go big on stand-by output, which I don't understand. If the grid goes down, fuel will be a choke point and the less you need, the better. So go for efficency. You need to be able to run some lights, the computer, hot water heater, well pump and fridge and freezer and maybe the funrnace and not necessarily all at once.

Tarquin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarquin

I’m a long ways from an electrician. But as I understand it. Your generator runs at a constant rpm. As you load it up it requires more fuel to hold that steady rpm. During our power outages we only use what is necessary. We unplug everything we are not using. A lot of appliances use a little on standby. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

I’m a long ways from an electrician. But as I understand it. Your generator runs at a constant rpm. As you load it up it requires more fuel to hold that steady rpm. During our power outages we only use what is necessary. We unplug everything we are not using. A lot of appliances use a little on standby. Hasbeen

That's just how mine works.

You run the engine rpm's up to get the generator to 60hz, and as load is added to the generator, the generator draws more horsepower to maintain the 60hz.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Our 24 kW generator is built by a local company (Wrico) which builds generators for large motor homes. It is diesel powered and is based on a 3 cylinder Kubota tractor motor. Went diesel since NG is about 16 miles west and we are otherwise all electric. And we always have quite a bit of stored diesel due to its use in the heavy equipment and our pickup. The generator is on a stand and below it is an aluminum 70 gallon fuel tank. It can run most of the house (one of two electrical panels) and has been very useful in the last three winters. We've had 5 or 6 day outages every winter. Also with the greater incidences of large forest fires, the electric utilities have plans to shut off power during red flag events (as they have been doing in California). We want to keep our 4 freezers frozen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got an Onan (6500) with a 7 gallon tank. It will run 24 hours.
A rest spell, refill with fuel and oil and it's off the again.
Also have a small Ryobi (1800). It'll run about 8 hours.

Last edited by martinstrummer; 05/23/22.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

I'm no expert either. We have the Honda eu7000is. It has the eco-throttle feature which allows it to vary the engine RPM according to load, which is a nice feature.

Tarquin
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We have 9200 run time generator. We don't lose power alot but when we do, roll it out and flip the lock out. Good enough for us

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Get a 24 pack of solar landscape lights

Charge em up outside, bring them in and set them around the house for indirect lighting

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

They are expensive. But I was sure glad I had mine. Ran over 60 hours during our big freeze. Looks like we are in for power grid problems in the future. 22 KW is big enough to run every thing in our house plus help out a couple of neighbors.
Hasbeen

I just had the same size Generac 22k running on NG installed last Wednesday! Power company had an emergency in the neighboring county and could not get back to turn our power back on so it ran for 5 hours first day waiting for the power company to come back.

Generac wasn't cheap BUT 18 month zero interest and 7 year additional warrantee helped seal the deal.

Ted
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,869 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.