Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Slecken Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have done one trip and looking to back west to archery hunt elk in Colorado in September. Wanting to get a light weight tent or shelter. I see that floorless is lighter but never used one before. Any pros and cons for or against? Thanks.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Money can buy lighter weight shelters, ie. Dyneema/ Cuben Fiber. Less money = sil nylon/ polyester.

Less money = Tarp shelters akin to floorless tents.

Personally, If I was unaccustomed to warm weather tarp or floorless, I would go with a more traditional tent for late fall.
If you want to camp this summer with a tarp and get caught up on the learning curve and idea, go for one this fall.
I like hammocks for a couple reasons when still hunting deer.
That's not a decision most make, but I have unique situations and experiences. That makes my choice a tarp. With the additional underquilt, the weight savings is pretty much a wash.
For ground sleeping, experience with site selection is critical. You can imagine as rain can ruin your sleeping bag.

S
Slecken Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks for the info.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Pro’s are lighter. They tend to have condensation issues and are not good around mosquitos and other creepies. I have a Seek Outside DST tarp and moved on to a Seek Outside Eolus. Opening day of archery was a sit in the tent while it rained all day and it would have been nice to have a floored tent. I like them but they have limitations.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
So many variables. If bugs, rain, snow, really cold nights, mice, snakes, scorpions are an issue, I’d go with tent with a floor. For those rare early fall nights in the mountains with none of those issues, you could sleep right on your air mattress. A simple tarp over your bag will keep the frost off you. I look at it, if I need a tent, I need a tent with a tent with a floor.

To the OP. I live in CO. I think in 20 years of archery and rifle hunts I’ve only had one where Mother Nature didn’t dump rain or snow on us. And it’s almost always snow in the mountains. A wet sleeping bag would cut the trip short.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One last thing.

Check out YouTube videos on different ways to set up a tarp.
Tarps can cost as little as you want to pay. That will give you an idea of whether or not you want to go with a higher cost and higher risk floorless tent for the weight savings.
The lower risk during the more predictable warm weather and experience with site selection should help you decide if it's for you or not.

I just noticed that you are in S Florida. I'm guessing that you want something with "doors" to keep skeeters out. Maybe someone can sew a section of no see-um netting on the length ends for ventilation. Against the ground will restrict air flow, so that's my thoughts for consideration.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
So many variables. If...rain, snow, really cold nights are an issue, I’d go with tent with a floor. For those rare early fall nights in the mountains with none of those issues, you could sleep right on your air mattress. A simple tarp over your bag will keep the frost off you. I look at it, if I need a tent, I need a tent with a tent with a floor.

To the OP. I live in CO. I think in 20 years of archery and rifle hunts I’ve only had one where Mother Nature didn’t dump rain or snow on us. And it’s almost always snow in the mountains. A wet sleeping bag would cut the trip short.
Nah, good floorless shelters do just fine in driving rain, hail, snow, and deep cold. It does take some strategy to pitch them properly for the conditions, though. I'll leave the creepy crawlies out of my statement, since that's a personal and subjective thing to some extent.

S
Slecken Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Guys great info. Thank you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Floor less is the only way I've went archery elk hunting. Spent nights in the teens. Your sleep system is more important than shelter for archery elk season IMHO.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A young lady I know bought a hammock and a bag made especially for it. The hammock goes right through the bag so it's both an over and under bag at the same time. Her biggest problem in this country is trees. She sometimes has to climb up some pretty steep hills to find 2 suitable trees to hang it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
So many variables. If...rain, snow, really cold nights are an issue, I’d go with tent with a floor. For those rare early fall nights in the mountains with none of those issues, you could sleep right on your air mattress. A simple tarp over your bag will keep the frost off you. I look at it, if I need a tent, I need a tent with a tent with a floor.

Nah, good floorless shelters do just fine in driving rain, hail, snow, and deep cold. It does take some strategy to pitch them properly for the conditions, though. I'll leave the creepy crawlies out of my statement, since that's a personal and subjective thing to some extent.

The only thing I'd add to this is, if you set up in an area with grass it's a good bet you'll have mice in your tent at night so bring a few mouse traps. Some areas are worse than others but a few mousetraps will take care of the problem.

I've hunted the muzzleloader seasons in CO for the past 20+ years, always used a floorless tent (Golite SL-5). Never had a problem keeping my stuff dry, and almost never have problems with mosquitoes or other bugs. The good thing IMO about a floorless shelter vs floored is, for the same weight the footprint is a lot bigger and you can get all your gear in the tent, under cover. The downside is (at least for single center-pole tents like the SL) most are not good with a snow load but that's rarely an issue during the early seasons.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Personally, If I was unaccustomed to warm weather tarp or floorless, I would go with a more traditional tent for late fall.

Archery season here is not in late Fall, it's in early Fall.

Big difference. If you'd ever hunted here during Fall, you'd know that.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Archery season here is not in late Fall, it's in early Fall.

Big difference. If you'd ever hunted here during Fall, you'd know that.

I was going to say something but you got it...

On topic, it depends as I use both.

I prefer floorless tipi tents...walk in, take of the boots etc inside and don't worry about tracking in mud, light the stove, and sleep is good.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For our mountain hunts we’ve equally used either a modified SL 4 with Tgoat cylinder stove or a Hilleberg Nalo 3 GT.
The benefits of tipi with stove is light weight with lots of floor space and heat. Easy in and out without having to take boots off. A big footprint but easier to make a suitable bedding spot with a mat of moss to even things up.

Condensation can be an annoyance if you rub against the side, but I’ve also had lots of condensation in the Hilleberg in certain conditions. Even wet ground dries up quickly once the tipi is set up.

Never had any issues with mosquitos and flies in the tipi because they all seem to end up in the very top. And I just have to ignore the fact that there’s spiders probably crawling around me when I’m sleeping.

The worst thing we’ve had in the tipi was a porcupine but luckily I was able to coax him out with a hiking pole without getting any holes in our sleeping mats. He was chewing on the plastic inflation valve but not long enough to wreck it luckily.

I don’t trust my tipi to handle a bad storm the way our Hilleberg has though.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
my seek 8 man has been great. I usualy pitch it tight to the ground and cover the sod strip with dirt. mine is screened so I can manage venting that way i havent ahd much of a condensation issue with it but i have 2 liners tied in it. i have had decent luck with digging a trench around the sheter if it is going to rain

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Slecken Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Sounds like an interesting concept. I will have to check them out.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like my Kifaru 8-man tipi and stove for later seasons. I've packed both in for the muzzleloader season here in CO, which falls in the middle of bow season.

I stopped packing in that combo because I found that I rarely needed or used the stove to stay warm, and there's a definite weight penalty.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Anything will work...it's about your own tolerance for condensation dripping on you and also for bugs and how carefully you want to pitch (and adjust) your tarp.

Most people need a larger footprint with a floorless setup to keep their bags and bodies away from the wet insides of the tent. You can wake up squished against the sides of your double wall tent, or have your clothes squished against the sides, and they will be fairly dry. But esp in humid weather anything touching the walls of a single wall tarp/tent is going to be wet.

I use floorless in snow with a hot stove/tipi setup, but I will often use a liner in my tipi (actually a low wide custom cuben thing, not a kifaru style tipi). The stove really helps blow the moisture out of the tent, but even with a stove, you still get condensation in certain situations on the lower sides of the tarp/tent.

Bottom line is that light double wall tent requires way less effort and practice to keep you and your stuff dry, both from your own condensation and from any weather.

I always have a light tarp and it's nice to be able to string a line between two trees and quickly stake out the sides and fall asleep, but most of the time I'd rather pack a double wall tent and spend the week not having to think about condensation and weather.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TX35W
Bottom line is that light double wall tent requires way less effort and practice to keep you and your stuff dry, both from your own condensation and from any weather.

That has not been my experience over the past 20+ years in Colorado during the bow season. But then again, it all depends on the single-walled tent. Some are well-ventilated, some are not.

The SL-5 that I use allows you to pitch it with 6-8 inches of space between the ground and the bottom of the tent walls, and it has mesh vents at the top. That allows enough air circulation that condensation is really not an issue. But a tipi style tent with the walls pitched tight to the ground and no vents does create condensation.

And I've never gotten my stuff in the tent wet in rain or snow.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by TX35W

That has not been my experience over the past 20+ years in Colorado during the bow season. But then again, it all depends on the single-walled tent. Some are well-ventilated, some are not.

The SL-5 that I use allows you to pitch it with 6-8 inches of space between the ground and the bottom of the tent walls, and it has mesh vents at the top. That allows enough air circulation that condensation is really not an issue. But a tipi style tent with the walls pitched tight to the ground and no vents does create condensation.

And I've never gotten my stuff in the tent wet in rain or snow.

Is that the same setup you use in 4th rifle? If so, I'm guessing you use a very large shelter. I've only hunted in CO a few times during bow season and the bugs were not bad and it was mostly dry and there were plenty of sunny days to balance out whatever weather came in. It was exceedingly pleasant.

That is just not the case in other areas, especially later in the season. 6-8 inches of space between the ground and the bottom of the tent wall is *huge* and necessitates that your sleeping bag be set back a fair bit from the tent wall or your bag (and other gear) is getting wet in any sort of driven rain, let alone if you get a half foot of snow.

I will often pitch one side of my single wall shelters with that sort of gap for ventilation but everything in that part of the shelter will have snow drift in on it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.