Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's having a generator around worth?
How about a freezer with a grand or so worth of food?
An A/C in 100° weather?
The TV to see when the next thunderstorm/blizzard is coming through?
A few lights to read?
Keep a cell phone charged?

Actual $ value? I dunno, but I do like my few creature comforts! 😉!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
You can always go cheap and get a portable generator that you can plug a toaster and a floor lamp into and think you are golden. It really doesn't take long to tire of a pathetic band aid like that.

Just get a good 10,000 watt or bigger and have it professionally wired into your house with propane or natural gas and you won't feel the need to pull up your baseboard and start a fire with it in the living room because you thought a small portable generator was enough....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Budget is an issue. My 9200watt running ( 11,500 start up) takes care of everything in the house. Yes, I have more steps than a stand alone, and the NG source would be nice but I only lose power maybe twice a year. I'll deal with what I got.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
Can't remember the brand but we have a 12kw, the kind that's on wheels and you can tote around like a dolly. I have zero experience with generators so I'm not sure how much it can power and how the hell you would hook it up outside of extension cords.

You definitely need some help to get the most out of that, and to not damage your electrical system or hurt yourself.

I'd start a thread about what you can do with what you have, and how to do it properly.

Had my electrician install X/fer switch...

$300 total

Select the breakers ya wanna run....

Plug it in..NO back feed
BG, transfer switch for sure. I also believe you would want a ground rod to ground that portable generator unless there is a way the transfer switch takes care of that.

Yes

the WEN has a grounding connection

[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0012/0350/3168/products/56380i.main_2048x2048.jpg?v=1574445235[/img]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I took a picture of the generator to post but can't figure out how-to post it since photobucket is being stupid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our power outages are minutes, not hours.

I've wanted a portable, but in 22 years the power has only been out ling enough to begin using one a couple times. Even then, im not getting excited for an hour, then by the time it's running, powers on.

Guess we are just a little rough here.
Couple hours without power, we light the oil lamps.
Grill, fire ring, Coleman stove, Turkey fryer.....we ain't going hungry.

A portable would pump water,
Run some lights,
Run the furnace fan.

Drink, eat, crap in a toilet, shower (Even if cold), and keep the house from
freezing up(we have a kerosene heater just to be used in emergencies)
heck, I'm good with that.
Not for life, but a couple days easy.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 05/23/22.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I took a picture of the generator to post but can't figure out how-to post it since photobucket is being stupid.
postimages.org is your friend.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a 36 Kw Generac Quiet Source single phase installed at our house in CO. In 13 years it has run less than 90 hours, most of it during the monthly test. One of my friends in VT has Generac, not sure which model or size, that ran almost 24/7 for nearly a month when they lost power after Hurricane Irene hit them back in 2011. Mine runs on natural gas, which is a lot less expensive than the propane that my friend in VT uses. It is important to have a good dealer to do the installation and maintenance. The dealer who we have in CO did a good job with the installation, but the annual maintenance has been irregular and if there was another dealer in the area I'd give them a try.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A windmill or some solar panels would leave less of a footprint ….

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Man you guys are spoiled. I wish all of us could go back to Little house on the prairie days myself. Life would slow down and we would appreciate friends and family more and no utility bills to boot!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm in with the "simple" crowd. I have a Honda EU 2000 and a Wen 3,800. Both sip gas and will keep my refrigerator, freezer, and a room a/c or heater going. I have propane for cooking, heat, etc.

My family of four survived 21 days after Hurricane Ike without power and only the EU 2000, using about 2 gallons of gasoline per day. It was kinda like camping, but doable. The EU 2000 will run a 6,500 BTU window unit. When you live in hurricane alley, having a/c for sleeping is a must.

The original Frito Bandito!
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I'm the only guy in my neighborhood that does not have one. What I have is a solar powered battery backup system. The battery pack stores 40.8 KW for my use. The way it's setup is the house uses 50% of that every day. That keeps my PG&E bill down to less than $120 a year. The other 50% is used if the grid shuts down.
In December, the sun can only recharge the batteries to 63-65%. But that includes running the five dedicated circuits in the house. That's all the wall plugs, except those around the kitchen counter, and the garage. That also include all of the lights in the house, the ceiling fans, the refrigerator, and my forced air heating system.
It doesn't run the AC, but it will run the fan.
I'm told it will take 11 years to pay for itself. I paid $25,000 for the whole setup. E

F
Fullfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by chaise
How's the general maintenance?
Two qt of oil and a filter every 50 hours.

Don't gobble at me
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's a pure luxury, for ten years I hauled portable generators and extension cords around. Couldn't sleep at night cause it was 80 degrees and Hella high humidity.

Last year I was out on business and the family was somewhere else. I had stopped to fish in the gulf with a buddy on a Saturday before coming home. Neighbor texts me power is out again. Has been out for 18 hrs. I hopped in truck to drive 5 hours home and haul generators out again. That was the fifth greater than 10 hour outage in the first 6 months of the year. I put a deposit on a whole house one the next week.

Again, luxury item, but worth every penny to this taxpayer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can always go cheap and get a portable generator that you can plug a toaster and a floor lamp into and think you are golden. It really doesn't take long to tire of a pathetic band aid like that.

Just get a good 10,000 watt or bigger and have it professionally wired into your house with propane or natural gas and you won't feel the need to pull up your baseboard and start a fire with it in the living room because you thought a small portable generator was enough....

L I K E

but UR rich...........

Not quite! I don’t go to the store for everything I buy.

This generator was still in the crate and the guy had 2 breaker panels with it when I bought it from him for $1100.00.

I found it on KSL classifieds. I was in Utah for other business, looked on the KSL classifieds before I left and secured the generator, so when I was down there I picked it up.

Too many people think only on conventional lines and don’t realize there is a surplus of good deals out there and they settle for much less than they have to…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

L I K E

but UR rich...........

Not quite! I don’t go to the store for everything I buy.

This generator was still in the crate and the guy had 2 breaker panels with it when I bought it from him for $1100.00.

I found it on KSL classifieds. I was in Utah for other business, looked on the KSL classifieds before I left and secured the generator, so when I was down there I picked it up.

Too many people think only on conventional lines and don’t realize there is a surplus of good deals out there and they settle for much less than they have to…

smokin' deal......

Hmmmm KSL ads.......

Full of scammers.......have sold/bought stuff there....

Did get some great gun deals before they dropped all firearm sales

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
postimages.org is your friend.

Can't someone on this site PLEASE make it easier to
post pictures?

If there were only one or two complaints, it would be different, but this is just another of many?

If it's a safety concern I could understand, but NONE of the other sites I frequent require visiting another website to grab pictures to come back and post here.
This is ridiculous. ☹

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skfullen
I'm in with the "simple" crowd. I have a Honda EU 2000 and a Wen 3,800. Both sip gas and will keep my refrigerator, freezer, and a room a/c or heater going. I have propane for cooking, heat, etc.

My family of four survived 21 days after Hurricane Ike without power and only the EU 2000, using about 2 gallons of gasoline per day. It was kinda like camping, but doable. The EU 2000 will run a 6,500 BTU window unit. When you live in hurricane alley, having a/c for sleeping is a must.

I grew up in east Texas. I've seen 110°F and 100% humidity with no wind.
I can remember fighting off the bloodsucking pterodactyls on a summer night as I swam (swum? swimmed?) from side to side of the bed in the pool of sweat! 😜

In 1958, Hurricane Carla hit Galveston, moved inland, beat the crap out of San Antonio. Then proceeded to the DFW metromess and didn't downgrade to "tropical depression" until somewhere up around St. Louis, MO!
Rained for 8 days straight in my hometown. ....and not just sprinkles, showers and such. It came a hard downpour for 8 STRAIGHT DAYS!
Every river, creek, gulley, ditch and cow track was over flowing!
We had fish drown! LOL!

Last edited by martinstrummer; 05/24/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Carla was 61... smile

All American

All the time
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was only off 3 years. At my age, that ain't too bad! LOL!
....but I DO remember the rain!
Harvey may have dropped more rain, but it didn't rain as LONG!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Don't laugh......

WEN builds some purty good stuff.....one pull start outta the box

Have this 3800I ready to roll & plug in...

Buy direct from WEN....no tax & free ship

https://wenproducts.com/collections...le-inverter-generator-with-fuel-shut-off

If a few decibels louder, no wheels and no electric start isn't a critical issue WEN also has open frame inverter 4000 watt portable generator priced at $300 less than the one in the above quoted link. (An advantage of the open frame gen sets versus the enclosed ones is due to the open frame design internals are easier to access.)

WEN GN400i RV-Ready 4000-Watt Open Frame Inverter Generator, CARB Compliant

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 66 invisible), 2,896 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,706
Posts18,456,843
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.