The 2006 book deals with the first 100 years of Winchester factory ammo boxes.
Oliver F. Winchester became president of Volcanic Repeating Arms Company in December 1856,
which was absorbed into the New Haven Arms Company on May 1, 1857,
and Benjamin Tyler Henry was appointed as plant superintendent.
The 44 Rim Fire and the Henry rifle kept the company alive until the bonanza of the Civil War.
Relations deteriorated between O. F. Winchester and B. T. Henry, and Henry left New Haven Arms in May 1864,
though he was paid through his 5-year superintendent contract period ending June 11, 1865.
But Henry remained a large stockholder and in cahoots with the secretary of the company, C. W. Nott,
while O.F. Winchester was away on business in Switzerland in summer 1865, a name change of the company was done.
By power of attorney in Winchester's absence, New Haven Arms Co. became Henry Repeating Rifle Co.
Less than a year later, through financial muscle flexing, Winchester changed the company name to
WINCHESTER REPEATING ARMS COMPANY, and Henry was out of the loop for good by 1866.
So, Winchester was thus involved with cartridge boxes since 1856, even if those earliest boxes were made of tin
and contained 200 of the ludicrous Volcanic hollow bullets with propellant inside the bullet.
Book review: Excellent book. Chapter 7 deals only with the Model 1885 "High Wall" and more than 70 chamberings.
Does not include some other chamberings on this rifle action by the British, but the 50 Eley is listed, including a chamber drawing.
Excerpt for book review is of the two pages that mention the .458 Winchester Magnum,
first called out as the "Winchester .458 Magnum" marked "Experimental"
and packaged in a 1954-style cardboard box of 20 rounds.
That must be what H. P. White Laboratory and General Hatcher were testing for NRA in late 1955,
for publication in 1956, verifying all claims, using old decrepit powders and bullets.
We have it so much better now,
in bullets and powders,
in the most perfected of rifle cartridges, which cannot be improved upon by mere humans.