24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Well killed one tonight, way to close for comfort. Like under a little bistro table not two feet from my bare feet. It never rattled when I set down or when the puppy was walking only a few feet away. He only did a quick buzz when I got up to get the puppy to drop something he was chewing on.
It took a moment to get the dog under control as he was running from me. It was then I seen him.
Little worried about taking him out potty especially at night.
Any ideas?

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As I understand it..........there's a vaccine. one or two shots then a booster. Supposed to greatly lessen the effect should your dog get bitten. Apparently, it does work.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Vaccine???? You want to give your Dog "the Jab?" And it may not work? I bet you are in bed with Big Pharma!!!! laugh

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Little worried about taking him out potty especially at night. Any ideas?

A leash, flashlight, pistol and paying attention?.....

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Yoder409
As I understand it..........there's a vaccine. one or two shots then a booster. Supposed to greatly lessen the effect should your dog get bitten. Apparently, it does work.

There is, and it does work somewhat, but it is geared only to the Western Diamondback. The OP would be dealing with prairie rattlers...a bit different.

My best advice is to get pup to a snake-break clinic whenever one is in your area. A good one will have the dog alerting to the sight, sound, or smell of a rattler and it literally only takes a couple minutes.

Last edited by ingwe; 05/24/22.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We snake break all our dogs, and a few for friends, it will save you a lot of grief, if you live in rattle snake country. Rio7

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
Vaccine???? You want to give your Dog "the Jab?" And it may not work? I bet you are in bed with Big Pharma!!!! laugh

LMAO !!!!!!!!!!

YOU BETCHA !!!!!!!!!! I was standing in line to get my monkeypox vaccine when I posted that.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by RIO7
We snake break all our dogs, and a few for friends, it will save you a lot of grief, if you live in rattle snake country. Rio7
You have any advice about finding the training methods for this? We have rattlers around here; the neighbor kids killed one by running over it with bicycles! These are probably diamondbacks and pygmies. I have not seen one yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In our area dog owners clubs provide this service. They use rattle snakes with fangs removed. Use shock collar on dog when its struck by the snake. Does not take to many times for the dog to completely avoid any close contact with the snake.
Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Plumdog
You have any advice about finding the training methods for this? We have rattlers around here; the neighbor kids killed one by running over it with bicycles! These are probably diamondbacks and pygmies. I have not seen one yet.

Google is your friend, but be aware any proper method of doing it means you'll be having to handle live rattlers yourself. Otherwise look at websites that sell E- collars...Tritronics used to put on excellent snake breaking clinics.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We catch 4 or 5 Rattlers, we try for 3'-4' remove their fangs with forceps, tie a light rope around their middle, then stake them out in the grass, let a dog out with a collar on when he gets close to a rattler or shows interest in one, we hit him with the collar hard. make him think the snake did it. then we tape the rattlers, rattles with black tape so you or the dog can"t hear them, when the dog get close or shows interest we hit him again , real hard make him think the rattler did it. takes about 20 min. per dog, and it will last as long as the dog lives, i've seen dogs jump 4" in he air when they ran across a rattler in the brush while hunting, rattlers really stink, a dog never forgets the smell. my dogs will growl and their hair will stand up when a rattler is close by. watch your dogs. Rio7

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I snake break my dogs. I find a freshly killed or kill a rattle snake. Put on an e collar .

I tie a fishing line to snake connect to fishing rod. I sit the dog /puppy near me and start moving the snake from about 20 feet away and let the dog go investigate movement when he gets near snake I gave leave it command and shock him at around 80 per cent. I do it repeatedly in warmer months.

Every year get a refresher

I leave snakes on property put dog inside and take for a walk on property if he gets near snake he gets the shock

Id like to capture and remove fangs but would most likely get bit doing so lol

Seems to work for me.

Last edited by ribka; 05/25/22.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
ribka, What ever works, there's more than 1 way to do most things. Rio7

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ribka
I snake break my dogs. I find a freshly killed or kill a rattle snake. Put on an e collar .

I tie a fishing line to snake connect to fishing rod. I sit the dog /puppy near me and start moving the snake from about 20 feet away and let the dog go investigate movement when he gets near snake I gave leave it command and shock him at around 80 per cent. I do it repeatedly in warmer months.

Every year get a refresher

I leave snakes on property put dog inside and take for a walk on property if he gets near snake he gets the shock

Id like to capture and remove fangs but would most likely get bit doing so lol

Seems to work for me.

I've done that and derivations on the theme. I have always milked the snake first, then defanged it before I put it on the ground with any of my dogs.( I have a lot of experience handling snakes but frankly don't like to cuddle up to the venomous ones very much at all) Also I found you need to milk the snake TWICE over a period of about five minutes...they keep a lot in reserve...

I did the dead snake on a fishing line thing with my Specialized students dogs, and I give no command. We found out if the dogs had never had an E-collar on that the thing set on max-buzz was usually enough to weird them out enough to avoid the snakes.

We would test them later by concealing a snake in some grass and walking the dog near it.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I am looking into a de snake class. Not sure at such a young age and untrained in obedience although working on it, wether they will allow him in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dogs are avoidance trained and get the vaccine every year. They are good at telling me when any snake is on our property. We rarely see one while bird hunting. Regardless of all the precautions a dog can still get bitten. After 35 years with dogs one had it happen a few years ago. Read story near bottom.

I posted some of this once before:

My friend who I occasionally bird hunt with is a professional snake avoidance trainer. His approach exposes the dog to sound, smell and sight. It is done over several hours with other dogs present.

After initial contact he will set up scenes where a snake is placed in the open, or hidden in various places in a outdoor environment. Walking through a scent cone or hearing the snake as well as sighting one is done multiple times for each dog. A shock is given when the dog recognizes the presence of the snake.

As I mentioned before, training, and the vaccine is pretty much all you can do. A dog can still get bitten.

Two years ago my younger dog, Oli, was hit in his hind foot. Both dogs were running through an area. I figure the first dog alerted the snake and Oli was unfortunate to have followed in the same tracks . The fang marks were 1 1/2" apart! Big western diamondback!!

He was taken to vet within 2 hours and it took 2 vials of anti-venom to stop the reaction. He has a small scar part way up leg with no hair but otherwise he is fine. Vet said the vaccine helped as it could have been worse.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
So this smell that snakes have; could it be similar to cat piss? We had a lifelong local guy (cable company) here to hook up cable couple years ago. I asked about this smell and he told me it was a snake nearby. After the fencing guys were done putting up fence, the smell disappeared. But now it is back, but on the other end of the property. I used to have a prairie rattler in a terrarium, but I don't think it smelled like much. The only snake I've seen was a really nice cottonmouth run over on the road. I stopped to get it for a hatband, but it was split up the middle of the top side.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
ribka, What ever works, there's more than 1 way to do most things. Rio7

yep

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (222ND, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.