Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Haven't seen one up here yet..... smile

Growing up in ND, my mother was picking strawberries and took her eyes off the target. Picked up a 10 inch grass snake by the head instead.

I'm told the shriek was heard 3 blocks away.

Last edited by las; 05/24/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
We get a lot of gopher snakes in Tucson and they look and act somewhat like rattlers. Probably get killed a lot because of it.

Rattlers are thick this year. Daughter just got a bill for $450 for removal. A private fire/rescue company.

If I talk over you, I apologize. I'm afraid I will lose my train-of-thought.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by hanco
I killed a Copperhead last week on the front porch

I would too

the Gopher's are use full for eating rodents

But first glance it looks like a rattler

Bastarrds will climb trees & search out bird's nests for eggs/babies

No 2nd chances for rattlers in my yard

You mean like this? (couple years back now, but gets the point across)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A friend of mine has a photo of a rat snake climbing the brick wall of his house. It zig zagged up the courses of the bricks like it was nothing.

When I was a teenager my brothers and cousins and I were shooting the bull with all of us leaning on the hood of my uncle’s truck being cool. It was parked under a huge oak tree by the driveway.

Then…PLOP! Right on the hood drops about a 3’ long green snake. 🐍 Everybody’s first reaction was to jump back but then I grabbed it. I kept it for a couple of weeks and then let it go.
It had climbed up the trunk that had no limbs for probably 20’.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I saw my first snake of the year the other day. Not a snake expert, but it was about 3 -4 foot long, skinny and reddish in color. Some summers I see a crap load of snakes others I might only see one or two. Mostly we see rattlers and bullsnakes.

Not sure if the big bullsnake that used to hang around is still in the area. I had no idea they were constrictors until we saw it squeezing the crap out of a cottontail one day. Found a shed skin that was about
5 1/2 foot long from it (I think).

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Wife got bit by a Copperhead summer before last.

We were visiting folks down at a lake house at Bull Shoals Arkansas and the damn thing nailed her. Her leg swelled up pretty nasty and she was very close to losing it at one point. Extremely painful for her. I stay far away from any of the things.

Geez! Sorry to hear that! Glad it turned out - sorta’ okay!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was in the woods with my dad at a young age, and was taught to watch for snakes. I've heard on TV show that a rattlesnake will alert you by rattling/ false. I've come across them several times coiled up not making a sound. I don't care much for any kind of snake. Kill every one I get the chance.

Romans 5:1
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by hanco
I killed a Copperhead last week on the front porch

I would too

the Gopher's are use full for eating rodents

But first glance it looks like a rattler

Bastarrds will climb trees & search out bird's nests for eggs/babies

No 2nd chances for rattlers in my yard

You mean like this? (couple years back now, but gets the point across)

A friend of mine has a photo of a rat snake climbing the brick wall of his house. It zig zagged up the courses of the bricks like it was nothing.

When I was a teenager my brothers and cousins and I were shooting the bull with all of us leaning on the hood of my uncle’s truck being cool. It was parked under a huge oak tree by the driveway.

Then…PLOP! Right on the hood drops about a 3’ long green snake. 🐍 Everybody’s first reaction was to jump back but then I grabbed it. I kept it for a couple of weeks and then let it go.
It had climbed up the trunk that had no limbs for probably 20’.

Had what I now believe was a big corn snake climb up a brick porch support once years ago. Porch support was tapered and was hollow at the very top which birds used to nest inside. Wife and kids were sitting on porch swing when I got home from work, wife told me they'd been watching a big 'lizard' stick it's head out every once in a while up at the top of porch support. I got a flashlight and climbed up to see and found out it wasn't a lizard but a big, fat snake coiled up inside the hollow bird nesting spot I assume waiting to snatch a bird meal.

All I could see was it had a patterned skin, not sure whether poisonous or not and snake was reluctant to leave of it's own free will, so I got a long handled meat fork, and commenced to stabbing and rolling it up around fork tines until I had enough control of it to sling it up and out into the yard. I had injured it pretty bad with the meat fork so I went ahead and finished it off.

A elderly farmer neighbor I hired to bush-hog a side lot on our place told me after he finished that he had seen countless black snakes over his lifetime but saw the biggest black snake he'd ever seen in his entire life while bush hogging our side lot. I got a quick glimpse of it once and found it's shed skins several times.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Got a water moccasin at my place a couple of weeks ago.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Is it now dead ?

Very much so

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My…scary

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
First decent-sized Bull snake of the year Saturday.

I love ‘em.

P

How do you cook them?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Just after doing some rattler avoidance training. Note the leash on Babe. If a dog knows you mean business when you you mean business it will defer to your strong admonition as it approaches a snake and you holler like hell and jerk the leash at the same time.

It's better to do that with a shock collar and doesn't take much to let a smart dog know it doesn't want anything to do with a snake.

Many dogs will raise hell and not get too close, seemingly instinctively.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]dell laptop keyboard sticking

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/26/22.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Host in the campground we frequent was having some mouse issues in his travel trailer. He put some of the newish clam type traps in the cabinet, checked them about 4 hrs later, and had about a 2 ft long Garter Snake with 2 traps holding him down.

He's since acquired a couple cans of that expanding foam and sealed up every possible entry way he can find.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was deer hunting with GoDogs57 in Georgia. He had me so spun up about deadly snakes making their way into the deer blind during the night. Every morning I dreaded that dark morning climb into the blind.

I hate snakes! No, I really, really hate snakes.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The most dangerous critter I've found around my place lately is a jefferson salamander that must have been on my chainsaw case and fell off in the garage.
My 7yr old granddaughter named him Jeff and decorated a luxurious terrarium for his new apartment next to Cupcake the guinea pig.
We're kinda spoiled around these parts not having to worry about where we walk or stick hands into.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Had some warm sunny days recently where it hit 50 or so. The garter snakes that live under our ground level deck came out to bask in the sun. I like 'em and call them "my buddies". They got rid of all the damn mice that formerly lived under the deck, and got into my garage and a couple times even got into the house. The snakes don't do anything to bother us and are occasionally seen heading into or out of the state owned woods next door. They can live under the deck as long as they wish. Last month one was sunning itself on the deck and my wife decided that it was "cute"; never thought I'd hear her make a comment like that. But it's a lot nicer than setting mousetraps constantly and tossing dead mice into the woods.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
No, but I was cleaning up a pile of bark in the yard, grass had grown in it
and a flat shovel wasn't working. Started picking it up with my hands
and had a PTSD moment, flashing back to my logging days.

We cut in several snake infested places. You never put your hands or feet
In reach of a place you hadn't looked. Rattlers were everywhere.

Anyway, as I'm thinking this, I hear "Hssssssssss". And about poop!
Suddenly, the flat shovel worked good enough! Never found a snake,
Or anything that might have hissed. Must have been imagined.
The old Allis Chalmers round balers dropped their bales on the ground. There was no chute to grab them off of. When you picked up a round bale you hooked it first then walked it backward for 3 or 4 feet just to make sure there was no snake under it. Where I am at there was about a 50/50 chance it was a rattle snake.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Snakes have never bothered me. Around here nearly all of them are non poisonous and don’t hurt anything. I’ve seen two milk snakes, one corn snake, a few blue racers in my lifetime. Everything else has been garter snakes. I’ve seen three this year so far. Supposedly there are a few pygmy rattlers in MI but I’ve never seen one.

My dog likes to kill snakes with a passion. How do you guys in poisonous snake country keep your dogs away from them?

How much are you asking for the dog? I HATE snakes! I was swamping behind a dozer in Idaho one time in the Fall and he opened up a den of snakes. It stuck and smelled even worse after 5 gallons of diesel fuel and a road flare.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sure are a lot of people who say they hate snakes. I'm not sure why, maybe your parents hated snakes and you learned from them? Most snakes are not a danger to humans, although I understand why people don't want venomous snakes in their yards.

Personally, I find snakes interesting. I'm careful around the venomous ones, but I still like to see them.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I thought only Black folk was scared of snakes

Used to have a pet garter snake in my room as a kid. We used to walk the railroad tracks looking for snakes under rotten cross ties.

We’d peel rotten bark off of Poplar trees and little ringneck snakes would under there. Scoop em out.

Had a bitchin’ snake terrarium in 7th grade in the science classroom.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My inlaws be like….”that there is a copper-headed moccasin”

And it be a king snake. I’d rescue it from hoe wielding inlaws.

Try explaining that king snakes hunt copperheads. Ppffft. No use.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (1minute, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 3,105 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.