Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
When did the ATF start requiring gun stores to keep copies of Driver License of buyers? Does anyone know where in the regulations it states this so I can look it up? I know the store would check the driver's license when filling out the yellow form, but taking copies of the drivers license must be fairly new. They also made a copy of my CCW.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 05/24/22.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never had them do that for me

Me

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
bought two this past weekend, definitely didn't have to do that just the form and validating driver license info

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The FFL that I used to use just outside of town (no longer in business) did the same thing (copy of my DL and CCW). I assumed it was just an internal policy as I know of no rule that requires it.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Some bigger stores have their own rules kind of above and beyond ATF laws whether you agree with it or not that's the way they do things. Buying something and for instance Bass Pro the headquarters are in Springfield Missouri is a real pain in the ass. I don't usually purchase much in the way of firearms there but a while back they had a certain shotgun I kind of wanted so I purchased it there I bet I was asked 50 times where I was born before I got the hell out of there.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You should have walked. I raise holy hell when somebody wants to see my driver's license or my Social Security card/number. So far, my tantrum's have yielded a work-around in every case. Am I an Official Curmudgeon with that attitude??

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can bet your butt every gun you buy except for private sales is in a database. I can't prove it, and we'll never know unless they want to start confiscating. I can't remember any gun purchase where they took a copy of my DL

Romans 5:1
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
The new kids behind the counter forcefully said it is the law when I questioned it. By Gum!

Same thing was told to me at Tractor Supply when they wanted my birthday and copy of my DL to buy DEF fluid. Yet no one else is doing it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Same thing was told to me at Tractor Supply when they wanted my birthday and copy of my DL to buy DEF fluid. Yet no one else is doing it.

WTF, over??? Why??

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thought of that, but the gun was a lay-a-way so it would have cost me 10% to put it back on the shelf.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Remember them now saying it has been this way since 2020.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
The new kids behind the counter forcefully said it is the law when I questioned it. By Gum!

Might have passed some new regulations or I should say came up with some new regulations lately as my understanding. I have also been told by good sources to find any reason to pull license is from ffls. I have that on no real authority just been told by a friend that is a FFL dealer

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No one ever told me as an FFL I needed to do that...

Store policies, not law. They may have piggy backed this as CYA when they got really strict about the info on the license agreeing 100% with the entered data.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton
Some bigger stores have their own rules kind of above and beyond ATF laws whether you agree with it or not that's the way they do things. Buying something and for instance Bass Pro the headquarters are in Springfield Missouri is a real pain in the ass. I don't usually purchase much in the way of firearms there but a while back they had a certain shotgun I kind of wanted so I purchased it there I bet I was asked 50 times where I was born before I got the hell out of there.

Cabela's isn't any better.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
No one ever told me as an FFL I needed to do that...

Store policies, not law. They may have piggy backed this as CYA when they got really strict about the info on the license agreeing 100% with the entered data.
Yes I've been told to be sure even the weight you fill out on your yellow sheet or 4473 nowadays needs to match your license whether that is actually your weight currently or not. Everything should match exact

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You DO NOT have to submit to having your DL copied!
Been there! Done that! The manager came out and chastised the clerk for even making the demand.

You DO NOT have to make a carbon copy of your Form 4473.
Had a dingle berry at a WalMart hand me two Form 4473's with a piece of carbon between.
"What's this?" I asked.
"We send a copy to head quarters and keep a copy here."
I ripped the carbon paper out and told the ID-10-T, "I used to handle Form 4473's. Only one copy must be held at point of sale."
Dipwad didn't want to let me have the gun.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Was any of this after 2020. The kids said it was after 2020 this came into being with the new forms.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
🐴💩

You DO NOT have to submit to having your DL copied!
Been there! Done that! The manager came out and chastised the clerk for even making the demand. What they're doing is a violation of your rights to privacy. They can ONLY see your DL to check the information you put on the Form 4473.
You DO NOT have to put your SocSec # on the Form 4473. It "states" on your SocSec card that it IS NOT a valid form of ID.

You DO NOT have to make a carbon copy of your Form 4473.
Had a dingle berry at a WalMart hand me two Form 4473's with a piece of carbon between.
"What's this?" I asked.
"We send a copy to head quarters and keep a copy here."
I ripped the carbon paper out and told the ID-10-T, "I used to handle Form 4473's. Only one copy must be held at point of sale and it's against the law to copy a Form 4473."
Dipwad didn't want to let me have the gun.

I've had more violations occur at "chain" pawn shops where staff comes from state employment centers or off the sidewalk.
Never had a problem at a LGS or privately owned pawn shop.

Last edited by martinstrummer; 05/24/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
AFIK it’s store policy, maybe a way to prevent transcribing errors. Don’t care myself, and I never give them my SSN. My son’s license doesn’t have a street address, so he uses other allowable government-issued ID, a fishing license, along with something else. Just bought a Glock, so it works.

Some stores here skip the background check as allowed by law for CCW holders, some don’t, but that’s their choice as well. I’m free to go elsewhere if I don’t like it.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Grates my nerves when people (referencing sales people here) don’t know the difference between a law and a policy. And they are often so passionate about it being the law. And they are usually wrong.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.