Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#17277676 05/24/22
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
When zucchini blossom, do they required pollination via small paint brush?
Tks

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
No idea Iron Mike.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
That helped. Thanks!
🤨

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've raised a lot of zucchini and have never heard that. When I saw the title of the thread, I thought you were asking about some Amish here who's last name is Zook.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Probably would not hurt. I have never done it, but lately we have had a lot less bees and I noticed last year a lot of blooms but no squash If I remember, I will try it this year.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/25/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
The plant start hasn’t been moved outdoors yet. Maybe this weekend. So far, no bees in the house.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Did a quick DDG (fug google) search.
Hand pollination increases success. Also will have to refresh knowledge of blossom anatomy.

Zucchini plants (Cucurbita pepo) thrive in locations that receive full sun and have well-drained, fertile soil with a pH of 6 to 7.5. They can be grown throughout the United States during frost-free months. Many inexperienced gardeners mistakenly think something is wrong when their zucchini plant produces flowers but no fruit sets. Zucchini plants produce male and female flowers, however, and only the female blooms produce fruit, which doesn't happen until the flowers are pollinated.
Zucchini Pollination Process
Zucchini pollination occurs when the sticky pollen from male flowers is introduced to female flowers. Zucchini plants do not have wind-blown pollen, notes the University of California Cooperative Extension Master Gardener Newspaper Articles.
Bees are the primary pollinators of zucchini plants, although other flying insects can be pollinators. When a bee visits a male zucchini flower, pollen from the flower's stamen sticks to the bee's hairy legs. When that bee visits the female zucchini flowers, its legs touch the flower's sticky stigma, which transfers pollen from the bee's legs to the stigma, completing pollination. The pollinated female flower shrivels and closes, and a tiny zucchini fruit at the flower's base begins to grow.
Zucchini Fruit Growth
The tiny zucchini fruit at a female bloom's base reaches 4 to 6 inches long within one week after pollination. Harvesting the fast-growing zucchini fruits when they are young and picking all the fruits from a zucchini plant encourage the plant to produce new blooms and prolongs its fruit production. If allowed to remain on the vine, a zucchini fruit quickly grows to its mature size of 1 foot or longer within a few weeks.
Zucchini Plant Hand Pollination
Sometimes, zucchini plants fail to pollinate because of weather conditions or a lack of pollinators. This is especially common in urban areas with smaller bee populations.
When that happens, pollinating by hand is necessary for the plants to produce fruit. Gathering pollen from the male flowers with a small, art paintbrush or cotton swab and depositing the pollen in female blooms is a simple task and pays off with an abundance of zucchinis, advises the University of Florida IFAS Extension.
Alternatively, you can pick a male flower and remove the petals. Once the pollen is exposed, roll it on inside the female flower to transfer the pollen. Pollination is best done in the morning when the flowers open.
Male vs. Female Blooms
Identifying the male and female blooms is the first step toward hand pollinating them. Male blooms appear on a long, slender stem. When you remove the petals, you will see an anther with bright orange-yellow grains of pollen. The first flowers to appear on the zucchini plant are male flowers.
Female blooms, however, are closer to the base of the plants, and each female bloom has a miniature zucchini fruit at its base. If the female flower is pollinated, the tiny fruit begins to grow into a full-size fruit. If the flower is not pollinated, the tiny fruit shrivels and drops from the plant.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/pollinating-zucchini-do-62656.html

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Found a variety that always surprises with its vigor: called Gad Zooks.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender

It was a spur of the moment deal.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I actually awarded an 8.5. The damn Russian judge lowered the average.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My wife has done it and it has helped. I do this with them. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I'll sleep better now.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I'll sleep better now.
Gotta say…. that’s bullshit. No offense!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I'll sleep better now.
Gotta say…. that’s bullshit. No offense!

None taken.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,151
Posts18,465,027
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.