Campfire Member
J
Another interesting Custer era Colt 1873 with a good story behind it-

https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...inspected-us-colt-cavalry-model-revolver

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Unfortunately, the Little Bighorn is about 2500 miles from home. I’d love to visit it again, buy I don’t know if it’s in the cards.
Hastings, I doubt Sheridan would’ve had much praise for Reno or Benteen if he’d been honest. Custer was his fair haired boy who could do no wrong throughout the Civil War and the Indian Wars. Hell, without Sheridan’s influence, Custer may well have been given a dishonorable discharge over the AWOL and ordering deserters to be shot in 1867!
At the time he praised Reno and Benteen, everybody from Grant on down the chain of command was in full CYOA mode.
Congress was grumbling about the Army’s ineffectiveness against the Sioux. Army Budget cuts were a definite possibility, and that meant everybody would lose. No promotions, fewer commands, less pay and food were a real threat to the Army.
There was a full consensus among all the officers to let the dead Custer bear the blame.
General Nelson Miles was the only high ranking officer I’ve ever heard of to praise Custer’s actions at LBH.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The most accurate portrayal of what actually happened I believe is James Donovan’s book “A Terrible Glory”.
The chapter notes in themselves are a wealth of information.
The clocks were set officially to Ft Lincoln time, the same as Chicago time. It was someone’s job to document the chronology of the days movements and somewhere I have seen a record of what is known of the days movement in Chicago time.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Would not have made a difference. They were out numbered & out gunned. Sitting Bull had all the cards.
And the Winchesters

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
Would not have made a difference. They were out numbered & out gunned. Sitting Bull had all the cards.
And the Winchesters

Winchesters we’re not the deciding factor…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I heard and perhaps from you shrapnel.

That Custer put the sabers in the mule train, the troop were not armed with them.

The lack of sabers took away a lot of big medicine.

The Native Americans believed that bullet holes did not affect one’s after life.

But a gash, or lost limb , disability etc…..from a long knife….followed one to the Happy Hunting Ground.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by moosemike
And the Winchesters

Winchesters we’re not the deciding factor…
They sure didn't hurt anything

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I read that Sherman appointed Phil Sheridan because he hated the Indians as much as he and Grant did. They all wanted them eradicated. There was enough mayhem to go around. The Army would attack villages and murder innocent women and children. They broke every treaty they made with the Indians. The Indians in turn would rape, murder torture and pillage settlers. Custer made a treaty with the Sous a few years I think before Little Big Horn that gave them the Black Hills but the discovery of gold there rendered that treaty null. His mission was to destroy but it got turned upside down. It is a sad part of our history. The Indians won that battle but were destined to loose the war.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rainshot
I read that Sherman appointed Phil Sheridan because he hated the Indians as much as he and Grant did. They all wanted them eradicated. There was enough mayhem to go around. The Army would attack villages and murder innocent women and children. They broke every treaty they made with the Indians. The Indians in turn would rape, murder torture and pillage settlers. Custer made a treaty with the Sous a few years I think before Little Big Horn that gave them the Black Hills but the discovery of gold there rendered that treaty null. His mission was to destroy but it got turned upside down. It is a sad part of our history. The Indians won that battle but were destined to loose the war.

Sounds like some revisionist history to me...there's a nice timeline of massacres and events leading up to the battle in the ranger's station. And, although everyone seems to vilify Custer...iirc the Crow really liked him because he represented their interests against the Sioux. There's also some talk of an Indian mistress with Custer, I'm not sure if it's a myth or what.

I'm really interested in the whole scenario since I spent some time out there last year. I'll get to reading about it more once I retire next year.

PS Not trying to be argumentative...just throwing my two cents out there. If I'm wrong then Mea Culpa.

Last edited by LeakyWaders; 05/29/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They ( Sitting Bulls forces)

May have had Winchesters

They won a battle.

Imagine if they had Marlins!

They would’ve won da war!

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I just visited the site a few days ago. It was my first visit to the actual battlefield, and to say I was blown away was an understatement. It is not at all as I had envisioned it all these years. Seeing it in person allowed me to see elevation and big picture perspective.
It is very easy to “Monday Morning Quarterback” the entire military operation after the dust has settled. I’m sure some things were probably quite different in real time. A few things that came to mind while on the battlefield, was why in the hell did Custer choose THIS location as his point of ambush? I mean, he had the higher ground and all, but was vastly outnumbered with little to no cover for a stealthy approach. It appears from his final resting place that he was in full view of the entire Indian Camp the second he crested the ridge. So many questions that perhaps will never be answered with anything more than speculation.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stephen Ambrose addressed the mistress rumor in his book. If I recall correctly, the Indian woman he was supposed to have had an affair with, was several months pregnant before the would have met. Somebody correct me if they know more about that.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainshot

Not entirely true.

Custer never attacked any Indian village without orders from the United States Army. Custer had no dealings with the Black Hills Treaty, he was sent to the Black Hills in 1874 to explore for gold, as there were already whites in the Black Hills looking for gold.

Once gold was officially discovered the United States tried to buy the Black Hills back from the Sioux, but the Sioux wouldn’t sell.

The treaty was made with the Sioux, but if you really want to pick nits, the reason the Crow Indians scouted for the Army was due to their hatred of the Sioux for taking the Black Hills from the Crow, years before.

Manifest destiny was not only a white proposition.

White guilt plays into the philosophy of 21st century critics, claiming poor treatment to the Indians of all persuasions. You won’t find in any historical record of a conquering nation that tried to assimilate the conquered people into that society as America did. Many of the attempts at this assimilation was condemned as trying to destroy the Indian and their culture.

Although not perfect, the attempt created much of the conflict between both cultures that didn’t make either side totally wrong, just vastly different. This battle continues today…

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bobmar
Stephen Ambrose addressed the mistress rumor in his book. If I recall correctly, the Indian woman he was supposed to have had an affair with, was several months pregnant before the would have met. Somebody correct me if they know more about that.

Probably not, Custer had STDs that supposedly left him sterile. After all the years he was married to Libby, she never conceived…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Q:

Why did Custer fail?

A:

He shot blanks!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I don't know, but I have an Uberti replica of the sidearm carried by officers and cavalrymen there, i.e., carried by Custer's 7th Cavalry.

Same exact markings and configuration (old style frame, sights, and ejector thumb piece), to include being marked 7th Cavalry, serial numbers in all the right places, inspection marks, etc.. Only marking that's different is that it doesn't have Sam Colts NY address on the top of the barrel. Instead, it has the address of Cimarron Firearms there.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Q:

Why did Custer fail?

A:

He shot blanks!

Nope, he had a Marlin and it choked like Marlins do…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Silly Shrap……….

Marlins are 4 girls!

Attached Images
Last edited by Angus1895; 05/30/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I don't know, but I have an Uberti replica of the sidearm carried by officers and cavalrymen there, i.e., carried by Custer's 7th Cavalry.

Same exact markings and configuration (old style frame, sights, and ejector thumb piece), to include being marked 7th Cavalry, serial numbers in all the right places, inspection marks, etc.. Only marking that's different is that it doesn't have Sam Colts NY address on the top of the barrel. Instead, it has the address of Cimarron Firearms there.

[Linked Image]
Very nice

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I have one of these. Not a .442 Tranter as allegedly Custer had. But mine is in .450 Adams.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
170 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.