Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sourdough44
as any reloader with a 223 or 22-250, no reason to go 204.

It’s kinda like the guy with a bunch of 308’s, does he really need a 7mm-08?

Well, it would give a guy a GOOD reason to dump them 308's and '250's......

GB1

B
B
39 gr Sierra BK also for me . deadly and easy on fur . They shoot great in my Savage and AR style rifle . Supply however is getting low and looks like a year out ??

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I've hunted coyotes with every 22 caliber and for the past ten years have used only a 204. The 204 has out performed everything for preventing fur damage. I use 40 gr. Vmax and shot placement is still key for a quick kill and no damage. Almost all my shots are less than 150 yds and it's a pleasure not to have an exit hole to sew up.

I thought growing old would take longer.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by sourdough44
as any reloader with a 223 or 22-250, no reason to go 204.

It’s kinda like the guy with a bunch of 308’s, does he really need a 7mm-08?

Well, it would give a guy a GOOD reason to dump them 308's and '250's......

Obvioulsy sourdough has never had a 7mm08?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by vmax204
I've hunted coyotes with every 22 caliber and for the past ten years have used only a 204. The 204 has out performed everything for preventing fur damage. I use 40 gr. Vmax and shot placement is still key for a quick kill and no damage. Almost all my shots are less than 150 yds and it's a pleasure not to have an exit hole to sew up.

That's good info right there. One reason my buddy prefers using the 22 WMR. If you are only shooting out to "150 yards", you'd get by very well even with one of those. A 204 if far more capable than just 150 yard shooting. I was killing whistle pigs yesterday at over 400 with my new 204, and that was with cheap azzed factory ammo.. I would not hesitate to poke a yote at 600 yards with a 204..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Vmax204: Thats an interesting observation there with your experience using the heavier 40 grain V-Max and the lack of pelt damage!
One reason I chose the 32 grain bullets was my possibly erroneous assumption that the smaller 32 grain bullet would be less likely to "travel on through" Coyote and Bobcat bodies/hides.
Thanks for your learned input.
I was down to the local gun shop today and NO 20 caliber bullets on the shelves so no choices.
Hope things turn around somehow in the future on loading components of all kinds.
Long live the 204 Ruger.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Vmax204: Thats an interesting observation there with your experience using the heavier 40 grain V-Max and the lack of pelt damage!
One reason I chose the 32 grain bullets was my possibly erroneous assumption that the smaller 32 grain bullet would be less likely to "travel on through" Coyote and Bobcat bodies/hides.
I was down to the local gun shop today and NO 20 caliber bullets on the shelves so no choices.
Hope things turn around somehow in the future on loading components of all kinds.
Long live the 204 Ruger.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

The 32 gr bullets are very explosive and cause quite a splash if you hit a shoulder blade or spine. They must have a thinner jacket as I've had several 32 gr. Nosler Varmageddon turn to dust not far out of the barrel so I found the 40 gr. Vmax to be the better bullet and much more reliable. The 40's handle the wind a lot better as well. I call so most of my shots are inside 150 yds but I have taken the odd one out to 370 yds. At my age I would much rather get them in close where I don't have to walk across a field to pick them up.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Long live the 204 Ruger.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

The 32 gr bullets are very explosive and cause quite a splash if you hit a shoulder blade or spine. They must have a thinner jacket as I've had several 32 gr. Nosler Varmageddon turn to dust not far out of the barrel so I found the 40 gr. Vmax to be the better bullet and much more reliable. The 40's handle the wind a lot better as well. I call so most of my shots are inside 150 yds but I have taken the odd one out to 370 yds. At my age I would much rather get them in close where I don't have to walk across a field to pick them up.

I agree with you on the 32gr Nosler Varmageddon, I am quite new to the 204 RUGER but these were the first bullets I found to load with and had several blow-ups.
For me though I have no interest in the 40's, if I'm going to shoot 40's I would rather use a 222 or 223. where the 204 shines is with the 32gr bullets at 4000fps !!!!!!!!!!! I had good results with the 32gr VMax and Blitzking but in my rifle the 32gr Ballistic Tip was the accuracy champ and constructed much better than the Varmageddon

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Long live the 204 Ruger.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I agree with you on the 32gr Nosler Varmageddon, I am quite new to the 204 RUGER but these were the first bullets I found to load with and had several blow-ups.
For me though I have no interest in the 40's, if I'm going to shoot 40's I would rather use a 222 or 223. where the 204 shines is with the 32gr bullets at 4000fps !!!!!!!!!!! I had good results with the 32gr VMax and Blitzking but in my rifle the 32gr Ballistic Tip was the accuracy champ and constructed much better than the Varmageddon

If you are planning on shooting coyotes for fur you will be switching to 40's unless you like sewing up hides

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
And chasing runners…. I never saw more coyotes get back up than I did with the 32’s.

The 40’s are where the 204 shines on coyotes. Though I do like the 35 grain Berger’s almost as much.

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
TWR: The ones I have shot (with 32 grain Sierras and 35 grain Bergers) DID NOT go anywhere?
Dittos Badgers.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
VG, I killed a lot of them with the 35 Berger and like them but sadly the 32 Vmax did not fair so well for me or anyone else I know. I view them as marginal at best.

But the 40’s are impressive.

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
My conclusion with the 32 gr bullets is best described as extremely explosive out to 200 yds on a calm day. Not so good past 200 in the wind. Cause BIG splashes with a hit on solid bone. More coyotes wounded and needed 2nd shot to finish. Depending on brand, more likely to fail at max velocity.
I've been hunting coyotes for over 30 years and the 204 is the most impressive cartridge for shooting coyotes without making a mess of the hide as long as the right bullet is used. I would never recommend a 32 gr. for coyotes. The 40 gr Vmax has proven itself time and again as well as Sierra 39 gr Blitzking.
Keep your 32's for gophers, ground hogs and paper.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I went shooting prairie dogs yesterday and found my new combo of 204Ruger and 32gr BT's to be the perfect prairie dog medicine. most shots were from 200-450 yards in a stiff switching wind.
this combo is so explosive I can see that it wouldn't be the greatest for coyotes.........guess I will have to buy another 204 and load it with 39-40grainers for coyotes

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
35-40 grain Bergers for me in my CZ 527 varmint. Usually no exits on coyotes and have had little damage on turkeys. The Bergers work good on does and spike deer with head shots.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,132
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.