Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I hire a couple of local farmers to roll and wrap my hay. They both went up on their prices this time. They were charging me $8 a roll to bale, and one went up to $8.50, and the other to $9. The one who wraps it, also went up a dollar a roll. With diesel fuel having doubled in price, I'm shocked they didn't go up more than that.
I assume you mean wrapping wet or silage hay, not baleing

I do my hay two ways. The wheat hay is rolled wet, net wrapped, then the bales are wrapped in plastic, stacked end to end, in a long row. Some people call it silage hay, others balege, as it does ferment. The guy who does it for me charged $9 to roll, and $9 to wrap, for a total of $18 a roll. It's expensive doing it that way, but it also results in a better quality hay. The grass hay is rolled and stored in a stack covered with a tarp. That costs me $8.50 a roll, as another farmer rolled it for me. I cut it and rake it myself, and do everything but bale it.
sounds cheap . I was charging 12.50 to bale 4x6 last year mow rake Bale 4x5 19 a bale last year ...
Wrapping wet hay it takes almost 2x as much plastic to do "marshmallow" style individual wraps per bale as continues row wrap .
Around here most charge $10 plus wrap ..per bale

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Custom balers here get $25 per bale, cut, and baled.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I try to charge according to size bale . Add extra for wet hay and knifed out ( chopper baler)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The two guys I use are both Mennonites, and they usually are very fair with what they charge, Roll size on these is 4X5, I prefer larger rolls, but one advantage of the 4X5 rolls is that I can handle them with my compact NH if I have to. The tractor I use to feed with was in the shop a couple of weeks last winter, and I used the TC45 to set the rolls in the hay bunk. Larger rolls might have been a challenge.

I have mulled over buying a baler, but I would only be baling about 200 rolls a year, and I can't see that I can justify it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A friend of mine is done seeding his own stuff and is now doing some custom work.

Charging same rate as last year($18/acre) but you pay for fuel.
(and obviously seed, fertilizer, etc)

He is working on 3k acres and I asked him how much for fuel.

$10k.

+500hp JD tractor, 2/3 gallon of fuel per acre. Which really isn't that bad of mileage.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by roundoak

My wife took the call from the horse lady who wanted 3 loads of hay and explained to her that we could sell her only one load because we have other customers that may need additional hay this time of year. My wife also told her that there is a price increase. The horse lady said: "I understand about the price, everything has gone up." It is evident the horse lady did not pass on the information to her husband.

Sounds like you did everything as best you could, fair and upfront.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I charged $20 last year with a 3 roll minimum per acre. Hopefully this year I won't have to do any hay besides for myself.

Life is good live it while you can.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I charged $20 last year with a 3 roll minimum per acre. Hopefully this year I won't have to do any hay besides for myself.
All you got to do say no if you don't like making any money

Last edited by ldholton; 05/23/22.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by roundoak
I supply a niche market here with small square bales for the horse farms. I raised my prices last year and I see I will again this year, big time.

Last week I got a call from one of the farms wanting more bales and I delivered a load and left my bill. Got a call from lady's husband complaining I charged more than the loads delivered last year. I reminded him the cost to fill up my truck went thru the roof and be prepared for a substantial increase this season because of fuel costs to harvest and deliver hay. He was kind of a jerk about it, probably voted for Biden.
He got his free shots too

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 47 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,597
Posts18,454,376
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.