-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
grew up in West Virginia eating them .mom and granma would roll in flour and fry them ,.if i got them in the spring and we had dug some up ,mom would par boil it ,then bake it with ketchup and ramps on top of it.I have cooked them in crock pot

NRA Life Member
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Tikkanut: Oh... NO...!
You were doing so well until you said "savage".
Well enjoy it as best you can.
Great picture though.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: And yes I have eaten Rock Chuck (cousin of the "G/hog").

Nuthin wrong with Salvage....especially once you get the 3 tools you need to swap barrels

Been shootin' 'em since 1998.....built dozens of Pac Nor barrels for myself & others

Prob my few favorite p/dog barrels have been....20-222......223AI....20-223.....20's rock in the p/dog patch

Have a new 222 mag barrel to run soon....its a CBI though....Target actions used primarily now

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
I got six one evening last summer. I live in Armstrong county. What part of indiana county were you from?

Clarksburg..Saltsburg area.......

Built tires at McCreary for a while.....then coal mines

Moved to Utah in '80

Coal mines here......Wilberg mine fire in '84...

Started with UPS Jan '85....retired in Nov '11

Now I do what I wanna do everyday

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Our primary spring/early summer activity when I was a kid. Used to love it. Shooting those big rodents that are never far from their holes with .22 lr you learn a lot about shot placement and learn it fast. When I got older and trapped a lot, I primarily shot them to put up for fox and coyote bait.

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I am one some deer damage permits... problem is the drive is 3-4 hours to each.

Whitetails are kinda 24/7/365... BUT if any Sika permits happen... the drive is totally worth it.

Sika... the only deer you eat with a spoon.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just got back from the wife's family property in Rothrock State Forest. Saw a few, but I let them go until mid summer and the females have weaned their litters. I try to manage the "herd" as it were, only taking three or four per summer.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have eaten a couple. My grandmother used to cook them for their tenant farmer, but it was before my time and I never got a chance to ask her about it. My cousin and I tried to grill one and it was tougher than leather. Several attempts later proved that the young ones were very tender compared to an older chuck. My best method was to parboil it then bake it in the oven. You could eat it with a fork. My lab loved the smell and would drool while smelling it. There is a lot of meat compared to a squirrel or rabbit. Has a unique taste though.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Used to shoot 100+ each summer back in the late 70's and early 80's here in central NY. Now we're overpopulated with coyotes and they get all the woodchucks. I'd feel guilty shooting one. Best evening ever, I crawled through deep grass to the edge of a field and setup my 270 to shoot off a Harris bipod. There were 11 woodchucks out feeding in a field that is probably 10 acres. The closet were about 150 yards away and the furthest were what later turned out to be 330 yards. I worked from left to right shooting woodchucks and got 9 of them. The other 2 wised up and headed down their holes. Had to crawl back to my pickup once to get more ammo since I'd only brought the magazine full. I then drove to a different field and shot 4 more, for a total of 13 that evening. My 270 is an old (1967) M70 and I had a Bushnell 2.5-8X Scopechief on it at that time. I was shooting 130gr Nosler Ballistic Tips with a hefty charge of A4350 for 3,050fps. After 4,000+ rounds, it will still keep 3 shots well under an inch. I had a 223 and 22-250 at the time, but could never shoot them as well as I can my old M70.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Shooting G/hogs was ......well rather slow.......boring

1-2 shots in an hour....maybe 3.....

Maybe get a shot at a crow or stray feral cat..

Do you drink coffee or take No Doze......just to keep you alert ?

I hear you, and I'm feeling it. Good on the groundhog shooters but I like a little more action. Heading out in the morning for the killing fields in northern Montana ( Richardsons ground squirrels- no PDs on the hit list this time) I just threw 800 rounds of ammo in the truck for a two day shoot. I hope its enough....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I haven't shot one since I was a kid when we would kill e'm if they got into the garden. Never eaten one, but I remember some people did. One of my dad's best friends did hunt them and we used to tag along sometimes. I always thought it was so cool because they were so far away.

Last edited by BuckHaggard; 05/25/22.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I was also a walker and sneekuper. upstate NY. Haven't been since early 2000. farm got sold, leases were not renewed by another farmer. Houses were built.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Shooting G/hogs was ......well rather slow.......boring

1-2 shots in an hour....maybe 3.....

Maybe get a shot at a crow or stray feral cat..

Do you drink coffee or take No Doze......just to keep you alert ?

I hear you, and I'm feeling it. Good on the groundhog shooters but I like a little more action. Heading out in the morning for the killing fields in northern Montana ( Richardsons ground squirrels- no PDs on the hit list this time) I just threw 800 rounds of ammo in the truck for a two day shoot. I hope its enough....

I usually shoot 4 hrs....50-60 rds an hr in a good field

Pretty much call it a day.....

Sun or wind will chase ya back home

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,584 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.