Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
When mine were young, I started them out on a single shot Pardner 20 gauge!

Very safe, with one shot at a time, and it taught them how to work and respect the Firearm,
with two boys, I didn't have to worry about, other rounds in the chamber, as kids get excited,
as we do, with hunting situations!

Both those Boys turned out to be fine young Men, one a Marine Corps Sniper, and the other,
a very proficient Hunter/shooter!

Was even able to teach other fine young Men the same Way, and then, even Donated those Firearms,
to them, as they have taught theirs!

Excellent choice. I agree with getting them a single shot. A 20 gauge is a good/great place to start as well. That is what I started out on and have no complaints. A single shot teaches you a lot, like making that 1 shot count!!! More people should start out with them.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Started my son with a 20 ga Rem 1100 with youth stock. Now it has std wood and still in use.

Gas guns kick less. The 20 ga. 1100 is pretty light. I still think this was about ideal. Swap wood when they grow up.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Started my son with a 20 ga Rem 1100 with youth stock. Now it has std wood and still in use.

Gas guns kick less. The 20 ga. 1100 is pretty light. I still think this was about ideal. Swap wood when they grow up.

DF

^^^ this ^^^

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Your first choice was what I started both of my boys with . 870 youth models in 20 gauge . Bought them a case of shells each and found clay pigeons on closeout at Wallmart for .99 a case so I bought 20 cases and two throwers. Short 1100's would be good also .

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I started my son with a Remington 1187 Youth Model 20 gauge. He loves it! He just shot 22 out of 25 with it at a 4-H competition. This shotgun reall checks a lot of boxes. Heck, I’d love to take it out for flooded timber mallards and wood ducks, myself.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An 870 20 gauge is a great do just about everything shotgun. A used 1100 would be a great choice if you want one of the lightest recoiling shotguns available.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I started out with a Steven’s 311 dbl barrel 20 ga still have it I started my own son out with a savage 24 22/410

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My first gun, 50 years ago ( I was 8 at the time), is a Winchester Model 370 youth, 20 gauge, I still have it today. I hated shooting that shotgun, it kicks like a mule! For my sons (3), I started them with a 410 and 28 ga, both much easier to shoot than a light weight 20. If I were starting today, I'd look for a Mossberg pump in 410. Poor shooting habits learned with guns that kick too much for young (and sometimes mature) shooters are hard to overcome.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

DF

^^^^ This times 2 or three ^^^^^

the only issue with an auto is making sure it keeps running, and the tendency to empty the mag at birds.

Depending on the boys stature, I'd also look at the remigton 870 youth and the Mossberg 500 youth.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Single shot .410. Teaches kids to make every shot count, low recoil & fun to shoot

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
870 youth 20 was my first gun . My dad got it for me when i was 10 or 11. Im 36 and still use it turkey hunting . Now my son hunts with it. Be hard to beat that

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF
Follow up on this gun.

My New Orleans tax lawyer son-in-law has never shot a gun, doesn't own one. He was invited to a big Mississippi dove hunt by a high end client.

He and family were visiting Labor Day weekend. I took him behind the house, set up my electric clay thrower and we shot clay targets over the pond. He did fair, has a ways to go. He was told there will be a LOT of doves at the upcoming hunt, so maybe he can knock down a few. At least he shouldn't be too embarrassed.

I told him to just take the gun, put it on a top shelf in his bedroom away from his kids. I showed him how to put two rounds in the mag, empty chamber and how to shuck a shell in the chamber if he needs to protect his home. I told him those dove loads (gave him 6 boxes) would be perfect for in home defense, as bird shot is lethal at close range, but doesn't go thru walls like heavier shot. I feel better with him having at least one shotgun in his house, living in the N.O. area. Although they actually live in Old Metairie, things can happen there, too.

I showed him the youth stock that I still have and how I can quickly change that gun back to youth configuration if my 6 yr old grandson ever wants to learn to shoot it. So, that gun could become a generational thing.

Years ago, I loaned it to my business partner to start his son with it. It was at his camp on the Red River when it was stolen by natives. The sheriff recovered it and that boy is now a jet pilot and top notch sheet shooter. If fact, he out shoots his dad with clays, but put feathers on a bird, the old man is hard to beat. He's a Cajun and knows how to cook those birds, doesn't have much use for clays.

So, this gun's been around and looks like it's still going places.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
just don`t get a kid a single shot with a hammer to cock that is too dangerous with those small fingers to cock and decock.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by pete53
just don`t get a kid a single shot with a hammer to cock that is too dangerous with those small fingers to cock and decock.
Or a T/C Contender set up as a .410. Letting the hammer down from full cocked position puts the firing pin on the primer. You gotta cycle that action to bring up the hammer block. No cycle, no hammer block. That’s hard enough for an adult to remember.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
870 youth model 20 ga is hard to beat.

At about ten years old I was gifted with a 20 gauge full-choke single shot that came (covered in camo-painted masking tape) from a pawn shop. Dad and his shooting friends said something to the effect "410s are for really good shooters, 20s give results that a kid can see". At about age 14, after a few seasons with the hammered single, a few pheasants, mallards and lots of doves, I had mowed enough lawns to buy my own 870 in 20 gauge with a modified choke. It was fun to carry in the field and held its own on the clay bird warm-up sessions before dove season began.

The single-shot was especially safe. The 20 gauge was just right. The full choke was too much. I became a better wing shot and didn't feel the need for a 12 gauge until Canada geese and early-flushing sage grouse became part of my life. I started my sons with a single-shot 20 (modified choke). I still have that original 870 and it still carries well.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Very safe, with one shot at a time, and it taught them how to work and respect the Firearm,
with two boys, I didn't have to worry about, other rounds in the chamber, as kids get excited,

Both those Boys turned out to be fine young Men, one a Marine Corps Sniper, and the other,

Was even able to teach other fine young Men the same Way, and then, even Donated those Firearms,

Excellent choice. I agree with getting them a single shot. A 20 gauge is a good/great place to start as well. That is what I started out on and have no complaints. A single shot teaches you a lot, like making that 1 shot count!!! More people should start out with them.

I’m gonna give two points of advice, and hopefully don’t offend anyone.

Single shot, exposed hammer guns of any caliber are not good choices for beginner shooters in my opinion. There are more than one reason why, but here’s 2.
(A) how does the shooter prepare it to fire? They cock the hammer. You really trust an 8 year old to undock the hammer safely? I don’t.
(B) recoil is substantially more than a semi auto, especially a gasser

A single shot with a safety and not an exposed hammer, much safer choice.

My recommendation would also not be a Bottom eject pump. They can jam when short stroked and be a PITA to clear.

An 870, a Bantam, etc with lighter loads in 20 gauge can be pleasurable to shoot, many stock options to shorten or lengthen as they grow, and many customizable options. Reliable guns as well. Buy one with a medium length barrel, not the shortest barrel. Ever tried to wing shoot with a 21” barrel? There’s a reason why trap shooters choose long barrels.

Set your kids up for success, which includes safety.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Granddaughter is 7 now, and been turkey hunting since 5. We started her in Rem 1100 with cut down stock and it works great.
Less recoil than the 870, and you don’t have to worry that much about double tapping. Just load one at a time. My son and daughter were started with a youth 870 and still have it, but they were a little older when I started them.
I personally would recommend a good semi/auto simply because of recoil.

http:/www.canadianriverhilton.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jstocks
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I’m gonna give two points of advice, and hopefully don’t offend anyone.

Single shot, exposed hammer guns of any caliber are not good choices for beginner shooters in my opinion. There are more than one reason why, but here’s 2.
(A) how does the shooter prepare it to fire? They cock the hammer. You really trust an 8 year old to undock the hammer safely? I don’t.
(B) recoil is substantially more than a semi auto, especially a gasser

A single shot with a safety and not an exposed hammer, much safer choice.

My recommendation would also not be a Bottom eject pump. They can jam when short stroked and be a PITA to clear.

An 870, a Bantam, etc with lighter loads in 20 gauge can be pleasurable to shoot, many stock options to shorten or lengthen as they grow, and many customizable options. Reliable guns as well. Buy one with a medium length barrel, not the shortest barrel. Ever tried to wing shoot with a 21” barrel? There’s a reason why trap shooters choose long barrels.

Set your kids up for success, which includes safety.

I agree on the jamming issue on bottom eject actions, however it is still the best choice for a leftie kid IMO&E. I like the BPS better than the 37, but have both.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Single shot

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
92 members (10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 16penny, 15 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.