Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Have had bad luck with Hornady 7mm 162 and 30cal 180 .

BP-B6

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
480 Hornady DGX.
Shed the core, veered off course and never hit vials. Second shot was a cast bullet, penetrated straight, finished the job.

I hear they fixed them but who knows

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MadDog4298
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
For me bullets fired out of a muzzleloader.

X 10,000

Never had any problems with Muzzleloader bullets. Maxi Hunters I think years ago, then saboted XTP’s etc and I think last ones was powerbelt bullets or similar. Open sighted TC renegade, place bullet in vitals, walk over retrieve deer. Easy peasy

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
The bullet I revile the most is the .277" 140 Hornady BTSP. I only shot two deer with them, and in both cases, the bullet shattered, blew up, whatever you want to call it, and didn't penetrate much, but blew huge chunks of meat everywhere. I eventually got both deer recovered, but it was not a pretty sight in either case. Those were the early ones with the cannelure WAY back on the bullet. Hornady changed the location of the cannelure later, but it didn't really help them much. I was shooting them out of a 22" .270 Winchester with H-4831 pushing them, nothing outrageous in any way. Those bullets were just dead soft and pretty much worthless. Both deer weren't very big, either, one little doe and a seven point buck of average size for a corn-fed Missouri deer.
I switched over to Remington Bronze Point 130gr. bullets and had wonderful results on the next few deer I shot with that rifle. Then Remington discontinued the Bronze Points as component bullets, which torqued me off considerably. After that, I went over to Sierra 130gr. Pro-Hunter flatbased bullets, which I continue to use today.

This matches my experience with the 140 .277 Hornady as well. Total garbage performance. I’ve also had similar results with the Hornady 250gr .358 spire point in my .358s I finally called Hornady to ask what gives with your 250s. I was told that 2400fps is “too fast” for those bullets, that they’re not designed for that sort of velocity. ???!
Hornadys have proven too inconsistent between weights and calibers for me to trust much. The 165 spire points, and now discontinued 220 round noses were always great, while the 180s sucked.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Like so many others... Had a terrible experience with a 165 gr BT when they were first intro'd. That was 94 or 95 or somewhere in there. Didnt use them again til 2013 when I tried them in the 243. They definitely toughened them up cause the 90 and 95's are hammers now. Had some borderline bad experiences with gamekings but I recovered the deer so cant be considered a failure... more of a mess.

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Win silver tip's - totally unpredictable on impact. They may turn into a varmint bullet or FMJ! confused

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember once it took five rounds of Federal blue box .25/06 ammo loaded with 120gn Speer bullets to put down a good boar. I was hitting him just behind the shoulder/front leg. They were just penciling through. Eventually I hit him right through the thick shoulder pad and it dropped him. For the rest of the trip I aimed to drive the bullet through the heavy shoulder and the pigs just dropped. But aim four to six inches back and they would run. I remember being amazed as I had always thought Speer bullets to be rather soft but this example taught me otherwise. So two totally different killing effects determined by bullet placement.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by DoeDumper
Like so many others... Had a terrible experience with a 165 gr BT when they were first intro'd. That was 94 or 95 or somewhere in there. Didnt use them again til 2013 when I tried them in the 243. They definitely toughened them up cause the 90 and 95's are hammers now. Had some borderline bad experiences with gamekings but I recovered the deer so cant be considered a failure... more of a mess.

Ballistic Tips came out about ten years before then, though I can't say about the 165 in particular.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty good bullets now though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bergers. My buddy has a 300WM and was using bergers on pronghorn and deer. My god what a mess they made. Looked like you taped a grenade on their side. One hell of a mess.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Old Winchester Silver Tips were the worst I’ve seen. Pretty frangible bullet.

Those who dis Barnes TTSX obviously are lacking on game experience with them or shooting them real slow. But maybe they are shooting them out of a Rem 700 with a Walker trigger and Leupold scope in see-through mounts?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Absolutely the worst bullets are ones that aren't placed in the right spot....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Only bullet that I don’t want to see again is the early Ballistic Tip. 165gr .30 is the only version I’ve used. Others have made the case for massive shallow destruction.

Muzzleloader success surprises me. We have used the 250gr .45 Hornady sabot, the 200gr .40 TC by Hornady and the Barnes 200gr .429 pistol bullet. All in CVA Optima using BH209. In only a dozen or so cases all but one worked great. The oddball was a 200gr tipped with full weighed charge. I stuck it near the base of the neck on a nice buck walking toward me at less than 15 yds. It blew up on the spine. As in there was a large cavity in the neck where bone, meat and metal came together. The most damaging bullet by far has been the Barnes XPB.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The early ballistic tip and the early Sierra hunting bullets were nearly explosive. The early top of the line Speer hunting bullet was garbage. The 105 grain Speer 6mm hunting bullet could just as well been a solid.
The early Hornady SST was garbage - again nearly explosive.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WAM

Those who dis Barnes TTSX obviously are lacking on game experience with them or shooting them real slow. But maybe they are shooting them out of a Rem 700 with a Walker trigger and Leupold scope in see-through mounts?

Lmfao 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by WAM

Even when shot fast TTSX do not kill that fast IME.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
How did I forget the crap Winchester deer season bullets?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
How did I forget the crap Winchester deer season bullets?

tell me more... too fragile, too hard, inaccurate? thanks

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by WAM

Even when shot fast TTSX do not kill that fast IME.

Hit bone.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Barnes X bullets.for me.

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
292 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 257_X_50, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 44 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,725
Posts18,400,614
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.