FJB & FJT
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Friend Pat, noted on the onions and thanks to you and others for sharing your tales of woe.

Just for clarification for the next time we feast, does your understandable abhorrence involve all onions, or only yellow or red varieties? Scallions, leeks and chives on the no-go list too, or only orbs? wink

RIO7, well played and good on you for standing up for yourself in the face of an impossible situation.

I would count you as one of the few people in this world that I could sit down at a table laden with raw onions, eat for hours and come away saying I enjoyed the experience.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Either wrecking his pickup or screwing up something on the farm. Both had explosive results. I have an amazing father. I now appreciate the tough love moments from my youth.
I'm sorry to hear of some of the bad fathers that some of you endured. Good fathers is the missing ingredient in our society right now.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was around 13 I shot a fox with a NIB pre-'64 Winchester 70 in 257 Roberts. It was the only rifle that I could find ammo for, so it was the rifle that I used. He was very pissed, but the following saturday we went to The Green Store in North Haverhill, NH, and left with a Remington 788 in 22-250 with a 6x Redfield scope and mounts. I shot that rifle for a couple years, then traded it toward a more practical Remington 660 in 222.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Had a great upbringing from 2 fine parents.

That's not to say, we 3 boys didn't get into trouble & face the fair consequences.

I think, the angriest I made him, was when I was about 14 & we were camping for the holidays.

He was sitting in a lawn chair, on the beach drinking a cold beer, as I came up from the boat, feeling cocky about the 2 nice spotted mackeral (I thing you guys call them spanish macks) I'd caught.

When he asked me, how the fishing was, I slapped him in the side of the head, with 1 of the fish & said, "how'd you think" !!

That didn't end well !

But I'm smilin like heck, reliving the story.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mathman
Some of you guys had bastards for dads, but some of you did some pretty stupid shit.

My thoughts exactly, especially the bastard dads.

All kids, especially boys, do stupid shít, but I’m amazed by some of the dad responses.

Damn.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by mathman
Some of you guys had bastards for dads, but some of you did some pretty stupid shit.

My thoughts exactly, especially the bastard dads.

All kids, especially boys, do stupid shít, but I’m amazed by some of the dad responses.

Damn.

P

It made me a better person I think. I done everything I can not to be him. I never spanked/whipped my daughter or two step sons. I never borrowed money from anyone, well my buddy did spot $20 bucks one time. Never been on government assistance, never had eviction notices. Always had money for food, gas etc. I had a very successful career in the Army etc. I strived not to be my dad, I think I done an ok job. One step-son is an engineer the other step-son works as a drafter. My daughter just got accepted into UAA/ISU pharmacy program. I owe majority of this to my very patient wife helping me along the way.

Last edited by 79S; 05/25/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The older I get the smarter my dad gets.

It's funny - I was always very close to my grandfather, my dad's dad. Now that my dad's getting to the age I remember my grand father being - I've noticed similarities. I'll often call my dad by his dad's name. He gets agitated but it's a huge compliment - he's learning that....

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
What's the saying - Raise the kids and spoil the grandkids. Spoil the kids, you end up raising the grandkids...

That should be a fortune cookie:)

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Morewood
I also had a great Dad but boy was he pissed when the darts I was throwing into the air conditioner grid punctured the freon lines.
Did that happen in August in the north end of the Central Valley?

I might be pissed too wink

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Morewood
I also had a great Dad but boy was he pissed when the darts I was throwing into the air conditioner grid punctured the freon lines.
Did that happen in August in the north end of the Central Valley?

I might be pissed too wink

I'd give him a pass for putting some leather belt stripes on you for that one.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My first car was a lifted bronco II on bald mud tires. Had a drivers license for all of 2 months. Summer was over and it had just rained for the first time. I got a big talk about how the roads are goona be slick...yadayada whatever. 5 miles later I try an turn off the highway at 60mph and slide through a ditch and into a field. Call dad up and he had some opinions, thats for sure. While waiting for him to come pull me out, the cops showed up. Seen I was just a dumb kid and didnt wreck anything but my own crap so they left. I woulda paid money for them to hang out until dad got there. He was so mad he couldnt even talk

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was about 13 I got sent to my room for a belting. I stuffed c9mic books down my pants before he got there. He came in and gave me three or four whacks and stopped and asked me wth? That pissed him off even more, and I had erroneosly thought he'd have a sense of humor about it. Boy, was I wrong! Got it without pants, and got it good.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My stepdad was a religious azzhole snd thumped on me often. I was also a small sized kid. He was mad about something and came at me and i figured a 35 yard field goal attempt with his nuts was a good idea.

Mom finally got off her azz to do something, got between us. He never touched me again.

Hes been gone a decade. Good riddance hypoc
rite fuggin dweeb.

Told my grandma when I was 6 i didnt like the bastard. Proly used that word too.

Me and grammy were cool. She did switch me for catching a humming bird in butterfly net when i was in kindergarten. That about it from her.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/25/22.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I didn't get in a lot of trouble but I learned early on via one of the old style military belts that when my dad said you can do anything you want if you don't get caught. He meant you better not get caught.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Had a great upbringing from 2 fine parents.

That's not to say, we 3 boys didn't get into trouble & face the fair consequences.

I think, the angriest I made him, was when I was about 14 & we were camping for the holidays.

He was sitting in a lawn chair, on the beach drinking a cold beer, as I came up from the boat, feeling cocky about the 2 nice spotted mackeral (I thing you guys call them spanish macks) I'd caught.

When he asked me, how the fishing was, I slapped him in the side of the head, with 1 of the fish & said, "how'd you think" !!

That didn't end well !

But I'm smilin like heck, reliving the story.

Ballsy, lol.

You deserved what you got and you deserve the right to look back on it and laugh.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nothing.
Why would anyone deliberately do something to make their Dad or Mom for that sake mad at you?
Always wanted them to be proud not pissed but that's just me I guess.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I think the most intense beating I ever got was when we were at a camper dealership outside of town and I stuck my tongue out at the owner. I don't remember who told my dad but when I got home I got the belt.

Dad was very strict and never swore. I've been swearing since 2nd grade of Catholic school. He was a much better man than I.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by barm
Anytime I had to hold the flashlight for him while he worked on stuff. I felt like a moron. Not great memories for me. Wish they would have had headlamps easily available then wink

LOL

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
My dad would say "every time you turn the lights on, it costs a nickle!". So I'd go over to a light switch and flick it on and off saying "5, 10, 15, 20, 25..." lol! The sound of his belt going through the belt loops on his jeans got my attention!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 222ND, 67 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,208
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.