Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Sight Mark Mini Shot A-Spec M3

I have long wanted to try a red dot, so when Doug at Camera Land gave me the opportunity to evaluate this one, I jumped at the chance. Most of the red dots I have seen tested were mounted on auto pistols, so my idea was a bit different. My plan was to put it on a Colt Anaconda in 44 Mag to see how it stood up to recoil, but as my Anaconda is an original from almost 30 years ago, it doesn’t have the needed mounting holes. I also thought about putting it on a Winchester M94 in 30-30--just to see how quick it would be to get on target with it. I ended up putting it on a Winchester M94 in .356 Winchester since I couldn’t get a proper mount for the 30-30.
The sight fits a Shield RMS-C footprint and can also be mounted on a picatinny type rail system. Since I couldn’t put the Sight Mark on the Anaconda, I decided to put it on my Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt and shoot it with Ruger only loads. I found a Weaver 301 Mount on Amazon (no longer made) to mount it on the Ruger.
The instructions say to adjust the dot if it is fuzzy, but doesn’t say how and there is no way to adjust it that I can find. It comes with a plastic cap (the instructions say rubber cap.) This is put on the save battery life since it dims the dot, but does not shut it off. The dot is supposed to adjust itself depending on lighting conditions. The darker it is the dimmer the dot gets and vis-a-versa with more light. It does this well.
I started out by sighting it in with what could best be called cowboy action loads consisting of Lazercast 250g RNFB bullets loaded over 5.3g of Hodgdens Tight Group, so pretty light kicking. Following the directions, I sighted it in at 10 yards and then moved back to 20 yards. The sight comes with an MOA adjustment dial that you put a hex tool through and into the windage and elevation adjustments. The dial has reference marks so a person can see how much the adjustment is moved. The hex tool is a loose fit in the dial so you need to hold everything solid to get a good reference.
I was able to get the Ruger sighted in pretty quickly at ten yards and was tearing a hole in the center of the target so moved back to 20 yards per instructions. I was still able to hit the center at this distance with the light loads so switched to the heavy loads. These consisted of 265g Cast Performance bullets over 24g of W296. I was still hitting the target at 20 yards although the group did open up a bit.
The next loads were heavier with 300g Nosler PT (unfortunately, no longer made) and 300g Hornady XTP with up to 21.7g of H110. The Hornady book shows 1300 FPS from a 10” TC barrel, but I was using a 7.5” barrel from a revolver so no doubt slower. My Chronograph quit working so I was unable to measure the velocity. However, the recoil was stout.
To test this load I set the target up at 25 yards. It became relatively easy to hit the target, but I was noticing the red dot was fuzzy with an out of shape dot. After I finished shooting, I took it inside to see if I could see the dot better under different light conditions but it didn’t help. The dot actually looked like small Mickey Mouse ears. While this didn’t prevent me from hitting the target, I can’t help but think I may have shot better if it was round and sharp.
After 60 rounds of the hot loads, I put the cowboy loads back in to see if the sight had held zero. Going back to 10 yards, I can certainly say it did as I went back to hitting the center of the target. Some may question the 10 yards for sighting in, but that is what the directions said to do.
Next I put the sight on a Winchester M94 Big Bore in .356 Winchester. It is an early model with the Monte Carlo comb, so I was thinking it might be too high to get a good site picture. I was wrong, however, as I was able to mount the rifle and get on target quickly. The red dot was right where it needed to be every time and more intuitive than on the Ruger. This was before I sighted it in with the Winchester.
I originally had a 1-4 Zeiss Conquest V4 on the .356. I compared the two to find out which one was quickest on target. The Zeiss was set on 1 power and illuminated for this test. The red dot proved much easier and faster to get on target. However, with aging eyes I think I will leave the scope on for the hunting I do.
I was finally able to shoot the rifle with the red dot today. I tried sighting it in with 200g Winchester Power Point factory loads I had on hand, but it proved most difficult. I set the target up at 50 yards per instructions, but just couldn’t hit the target. I moved it to 25 yards and was getting hits but a foot high and 5” right. Using the dial, I was able to get centered and 5” high at 25 yards, but the sight bottomed out before I could get near center on the up/down dial.
In summary, the Sight Mark Mini Shot A-Spec M3 worked very well on my Ruger Bisley, but not so well on my .356. Maybe some other mounting system would help it work better on this particular rifle. I think this red dot or any other for that matter would be ideal on a rifle for short quick shooting like so many have already discovered.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I want to thank Doug for giving me the opportunity to review the Sight Mark. He was most gracious and helpful when I had questions.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have two of the Mini Shot M spec sights. Both zeroed easily and have held zero for a few hundred shots.

Both use the pic rail mount, one on a ribbed .22 seminauto pistol, the other clocked on an MSR.

The dot isnt as crisp as I want, but if turned down it gets better. Bright enough to use per condition, but not too bright to have flare.

Just have to click it up or down as needed.
Not a biggie on a sporting rig.

Supposedly shuts off after so long, never tested it.
For the money, a yr ago when I got mine.....thought them a good deal. Am not unhappy with my purchase.

So far, zero issues.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/26/22.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Does yours say how to turn it down? The one I have doesn't nor can I find a place on the sight itself to adjust it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is not a place to turn down the brightness. Its an auto dim.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Right. That's what I found, but the directions said a person should dim it if it is fuzzy. Not possible.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Does yours say how to turn it down? The one I have doesn't nor can I find a place on the sight itself to adjust it.

Mine are the M spec. No auto adjust. Bought em last yr.

Think the one you tested may be a newer smaller model more designed for pistol use.

Im happy w how my particular Sightmarks work.
They dont have shake n wake, so are only used for sporting stuff.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.