Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I am not really a pistol guy, I have a few decent ones and I enjoy shooting them occasionally. I have two good 1911 in 45 ACP. One is a Springfield Loaded Target model in the Black Stainless... pretty nice gun. The second is a Kimber Crimson Carry II. I have a guy picking up the Springfield tomorrow. I sold it because I would like to get a bit higher end 1911 to try out. I am looking in the $1500 and under price range. What makes and models do I need to look at, for a full size 1911? Where is the best bang for the buck, in a high performing 1911 in this range?

BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
With that budget you might get close to an entry level Les Baer.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Gold cup? Sig?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
High end I would describe as Ed Brown, Les Baer, Nighthawk Custom which are typically $2500 and up. There is nice used Ed Brown SST for around $2300 near me. Good luck with your search.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Dan Wesson

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Dan Wesson x2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Baer if you're looking for an old school 1911.

I'd look at something tactical like a double stack STI / etc. I have big hands and they fit me better. In fact my 1911s don't leave the safe much since I got a CZ Tactical Sport Orange. (they don't make a 45acp TSO tho)

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Oakster
I am not really a pistol guy, I have a few decent ones and I enjoy shooting them occasionally. I have two good 1911 in 45 ACP. One is a Springfield Loaded Target model in the Black Stainless... pretty nice gun. The second is a Kimber Crimson Carry II. I have a guy picking up the Springfield tomorrow. I sold it because I would like to get a bit higher end 1911 to try out. I am looking in the $1500 and under price range. What makes and models do I need to look at, for a full size 1911? Where is the best bang for the buck, in a high performing 1911 in this range?
That price level isn't really high end. I guess you're talking something like a Springfield TRP. Excellent guns. At least mine is.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What do you want to do with this pistol? Since I am a Bullseye shooter, I would have kept the Springfield to sent to a Bullseye gunsmith and had it built for that sport. However, you may be looking for one tailored to a different discipline and would want a different configuration. And there are, of course, just pistols to look at.
Phil

Last edited by TenX; 05/28/22.
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Looks good.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Dan Wesson.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Oakster

Save your money.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Springfield Emissary!!

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Spend a little more and get your moneys worth.

With a Baer you will get actual accuracy guarantees. Plus they have upgraded versions like the 1.5" versions that will guarantee you 5 shots under 1.5 inches at 50 yards. That is something the very vast majority will not. Most of them will just give you window dressing and silly names.

I purchased a Les Baer P2 1.5" gun and it is absolutely a tack driver. It handles a wide variety of ammo and works well in various conditions as well. Truly an excellent handgun. I have carried it hunting elk in sub zero weather and in hot nasty sandy desert environments and it functions great.

Some guys want to own certain guns to say that they own brand X for bragging rights or for collector reasons. Some guys are shooters, and want performance from their equipment. Both are fine. Decide what you are looking for. I personally am interested in performance and went with the Baer, and have been very pleased.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by slm9s
Baer if you're looking for an old school 1911.

I'd look at something tactical like a double stack STI / etc. I have big hands and they fit me better. In fact my 1911s don't leave the safe much since I got a CZ Tactical Sport Orange. (they don't make a 45acp TSO tho)

I have looked at that exact pistol in the case, and that is one of the reasons that I started looking to sell my current sprinfield. I guess I dont really have to stick to a 1911, but something that is a quality firearm and built to run. Sig Scorpion Emorer crossed my mind, and as have that new Kimber Rapide. Glad to hear that you like your CZ Sport Orange. I have big hands as well.

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I had a chance at a Dan Wesson Pointman 10 (10mm) when a local pawn shop was closing down. It was discounted down to $795. Kicking myself now, but at the time I bought a jm stamped 336 in 35 Rem and another rifle at good prices and couldnt really get the 3rd.

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by TenX
What do you want to do with this pistol? Since I am a Bullseye shooter, I would have kept the Springfield to sent to a Bullseye gunsmith and had it built for that sport. However, you may be looking for one tailored to a different discipline and would want a different configuration. And there are, of course, just pistols to look at.
Phil

I keep them handy for defense, occasionally play at the range. Would take camping and outdoors etc as needed. As far as when i am hunting or in Grizzly country, I carry my Glock 20. It would be looked mostly, carried some and used a little bit at the range etc.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Spend a little more and get your moneys worth.

With a Baer you will get actual accuracy guarantees. Plus they have upgraded versions like the 1.5" versions that will guarantee you 5 shots under 1.5 inches at 50 yards. That is something the very vast majority will not. Most of them will just give you window dressing and silly names.

I purchased a Les Baer P2 1.5" gun and it is absolutely a tack driver. It handles a wide variety of ammo and works well in various conditions as well. Truly an excellent handgun. I have carried it hunting elk in sub zero weather and in hot nasty sandy desert environments and it functions great.

Some guys want to own certain guns to say that they own brand X for bragging rights or for collector reasons. Some guys are shooters, and want performance from their equipment. Both are fine. Decide what you are looking for. I personally am interested in performance and went with the Baer, and have been very pleased.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mackay’s right as per usual. You can’t beat a Les Baer as far as performance or bang for the bucks.
You can spend more for a Wilson Combat or other brands for more fluff, but they won’t outperform the Les Baer for reliability and accuracy.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I won a Colt special combat government a while back in a raffle. Its a lil fancier than what I normally go for, that said I am quite fond of it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.