Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Really, IMHO you gotta be a dumb mofo to get popped w a felony. Do know the system aint perfect and some stuff is BS.....esp if you're young and get a crap attorney

Some folks take the easy route and agree to the felony w no time. Then they bitch 20 yrs later when they cant buy a gun or vote.

Guess they can do that " pay later " LOL

Some really crap stuff can happen.....think Boss Hogg Dukes of Hazard chit.

Seen some judge and lawyer crookedness.
Small town and big city.

Watch how much you drink, avoid groids and crazy women. Should avoid the legal system that way.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In California, splicing into your neighbor's cable line is a felony. You are going down!

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Local case....dude bought a gun- arrested. Was thinking it was OK.... since they got the gun in one county and their felony in a diff county.

That fuggin stupid.

They breed and vote ( democrat ).

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
In California, splicing into your neighbor's cable line is a felony. You are going down!

Funny chit. I think cable companies guilty of theft

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tossing a cigarette butt onto the ground can result in a felony in Illinois

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Certain people can lie on their 4473's as to whether they use drugs or not, are able to drop a handgun in a convenience store garbage can without repercussions.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
armed robbers, home invasion animals, rapists, murderers, kidnappers, members of organized crime families/gangs with violent records, etal should never have gun rights again.
If they want to hunt or defend themselves then they can use archery, black powder weapons, spears, atlatls, etc.

Drug related felonies not involving distribution and other non-violent felonies, then yes get their rights back.... but conditional and situational.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Know a guy who at 18 went into the Army and got sent to the Stan with the 10th Mtn Div. Got into the sheit and came home with a Combat Infantry Badge, Purple Heart, and various other awards. Also devloped a case of PTSD and an associated drinking problem. Got 2 DUIs within a short period and served whatever sentence he got as well as got the help he needed for his PTSD and drinking.

Fast forward to the present and he is married with kids, house, a good job in highway construction etc. Also has not been in trouble with the law since the DUIs. His preteen son expressed an interest in going hunting so dad went and tried to buy a 22 and was denied. Seems DUI #2 was a 1st Degree Misdemeanor and punishable by up to 5 years so is a prohibiting offense.

Contrast this with several people I know of who are on SSI due to a made up "mental disorders" but since they have never been involuntarily committed they are free to purchase firearms even though by their application for disability have claimed they have too many mental issues to function as a productive member of working society!

The only instances I feel the right to own firearms should be revoked is for using a firearm in the commision of a crime (to complement an actual enforced minimum sentence) as well as for those who voluntarily apply for federal disablilty for mental reasons. If you're claiming that you are "too crazy" to be able to work in society, its probably not a good idea for you to own a gun either.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Also look at it this way....we dont by statute automatically take away the PRIVILEDGE of driving for LIFE of even someone who is convicted of multiple DUIs, even if they killed someone in a DUI accident....but automatically take away someones RIGHT to own a firearm for life for a conviction that had nothing to do with a gun, violence etc!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The hypocrisy that any of these laws work, is fûck’n hilarious!

Laws only stroke the egos of the politicians who thought them up and made them into laws.

If a felon who does his time, comes out of prison, and isn’t deserving of owning a firearm. Then he should have never been let out of prison.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
I see no reason why someone who has paid their debt to society should continue to be punished by losing rights.

On the flip side, we could get rid of the atf....it's a win/win.
Except for the rate of recidivism.
Within 3 years of their release, 2 out of 3 people are rearrested and more than 50% are incarcerated again

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tater74
Pay your price, get your rights back.

Plenty of bad guys with guns. It is the guy that is rehabilitated that is punished. I know of several people that made stupid mistakes, paid the price, and are law abiding citizens.

My thoughts. Your's may differ.
I agree

Romans 5:1
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The law forbidding felons from having guns is ONLY going to effect those who choose go straight and abide by the law after they are released. The ones who go back to a life of crime don't give a shyt about the law and will arm themselves regardless. No need to worry about the former and no way the law will keep guns out of the hands of the latter. Unfortunately the books are full of stupid laws made and upheld by stupid people.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
So, back to the origination of rights denial for convicted felons.

Why was the right to vote originally taken away from felons?

Obviously to prevent felons from controlling our society. Not a bad idea, of itself.

Unfortunately, convicted felons would be preferable to most of the swamp scum inhabiting our state and national capitols today.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Withholding rights and privileges from convicted criminals as part of their sentencing, I’m fine with.

I do think there should be a clear path/time frame laid out. Whether it’s one year or a lifetime ban.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Any crime can be labeled as a felony. Some politician with clout gets a law passed the now if you spit on the sidewalk or street is a felony with up to two years in prison. You spit and get caught and is bye bye civil rights.
Another problem is lawyers. How many times has some poor fool been forced to plead guilty because he couldn't afford the lawyer's fees? Case in point, my neighbor stopped a crime in progress. He gets arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, a firearm. The real perps were a bunch of gang bangers trying to steal a car. Scumbag lawyer charge $5K just to show up. Told my neighbor to plead guilty. If he wanted to fight it, put up $100K up from and be advised it much cost another $100K before it was all over. He had to plead guilty and got a years supervised probation, then six more months unsupervised probation. After that he went before the court to get his rights back including his right to own guns. No wonder so many first time offenders cop a plea. This was a man who'd never been in any kind of trouble and didn't even have traffic tickets. Just a plain ordinary honest citizen who thought he was doing the right thing. Totally screwed by the system.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Idaho Shooter,
As I recall from my college days 35+ years ago, in one of my basic law classes, I was told that the philosophy behind losing certain rights after a felony conviction was because committing a felony act was considered so heinous that the convicted was no longer a citizen. I've tried a few times in the ensuing years to verify this but haven't. As others pointed out, what is considered today to be a felony has little resemblance to what is used to be.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Some people never learn.

Dunno what the answer is but it seems as if theyve been good 10 yrs they tend to stay good.

Most of the violent and or really stupid fuggup way before then.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/28/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My kid keyed a line on the side of an irritating downstairs neighbors' rig one evening. Went down a few days later and owned up to the deed. Neighbor got the law involved and a court mandated paint job was about $3.5K. That value meant felony. Kid paid up even though the car was wrecked and totaled about a month later, but he's still a felon. Google his name and the arrest, mug shot, and court disposition all pop right up. Research suggest it can be expunged, but he's going to have to put in the time and effort. Mom and dad are not going to take care of that one.

He still has some alcohol issues that we're extremely uncomfortable with. Not been nailed on those even though it's well deserved, but I think his history and bit of bad luck in the future will cause him some additional grief.

As to the OP: Violence or the use of arms in any sort of crime should eliminate one's firearms rights period. Lesser issues, and one should be able to petition for restoration.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/28/22.

1Minute
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Stray
Idaho Shooter,
As I recall from my college days 35+ years ago, in one of my basic law classes, I was told that the philosophy behind losing certain rights after a felony conviction was because committing a felony act was considered so heinous that the convicted was no longer a citizen. I've tried a few times in the ensuing years to verify this but haven't. As others pointed out, what is considered today to be a felony has little resemblance to what is used to be.
different verbiage, very similar meaning

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 257 roberts, 72 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.