24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a B92 briefly, and it was a little gem, but I simply couldn’t shoot it nearly as well as my Low Wall, plus the 1-38” twist wouldn’t handle some bullets I like, so it went to someone that wanted to admire it, not shoot it.

No doubt about it, the guns Miroku made for Browning had better wood, sometimes very very nice, and based on pics the wood to metal fit was better too. I have two Browning LWs, and they’re staying right here until I depart.

I have a hankering for one of the new 73s, but they seem to be unobtanium. Actually all Mirokus seem scarce, including the Citori 725 I’ve had on order for four months. An option for “Winchesters” is Pedersoli, which is making 94s and 86/71s in both traditional styling and modern. They make an 86 in .444 too. Reviews have been very positive, but you know how that goes. Taylors & Co. is very nearby, so if they ever show any in stock I’ll go take a gander.

Does anyone know if the current color-cased Winchesters are real or some kind of paint?

What fresh Hell is this?
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ed

What type of red dot?

How did you mount it?

That looks like money!

Well done sir!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Had a B92 briefly, and it was a little gem, but I simply couldn’t shoot it nearly as well as my Low Wall, plus the 1-38” twist wouldn’t handle some bullets I like, so it went to someone that wanted to admire it, not shoot it.

No doubt about it, the guns Miroku made for Browning had better wood, sometimes very very nice, and based on pics the wood to metal fit was better too. I have two Browning LWs, and they’re staying right here until I depart.

I have a hankering for one of the new 73s, but they seem to be unobtanium. Actually all Mirokus seem scarce, including the Citori 725 I’ve had on order for four months. An option for “Winchesters” is Pedersoli, which is making 94s and 86/71s in both traditional styling and modern. They make an 86 in .444 too. Reviews have been very positive, but you know how that goes. Taylors & Co. is very nearby, so if they ever show any in stock I’ll go take a gander.

Does anyone know if the current color-cased Winchesters are real or some kind of paint?

Winchester says its a "finish."

As far as Pedersoli goes, I ordered a '71 from Elk County Ammo and Arms but cancelled the order once I had a chance to hold one and open it up and look inside. It was beautifully finished outside. Inside it was a disaster. It was rough cycling and the rough tool marks inside were shocking. I was surpised a gun carrying that price tag was so shoddily finished inside. I did some research and found I wasn't alone in concluding that. I've got some Pedersoli muzzleloaders and they are great. But that lever gun I looked at turned me off to Pedersoli levers. Maybe they are better now, I don't know. Once thing that consistently pops up is Pedersoli's horrendouly poor customer service. I haven't had to use it with my Hawkens. And hope I don't.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 05/27/22.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have several and a couple of BLR takedowns.
They are my useful rifles, one is a.270 wcf and the other a .450.
Both are quite beaten, the .270 is my main carry .
I have found it so useful, I hunt horseback, and had deep army style saddle bags made to accommodate.
the rifle in take down mode. I adapted the bags for shoulder carry and are large enough for a compact spotting scope and other needs when afoot.
I don't need a backpack and the stuff is always dry afoot or horseback.
I also put L.E.R . Scopes on both( scout scopes)
a 2x7 Burris on the .270.
So, yes and I have other Miroku's .

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Pappy, I don’t believe the new Winchesters are a true case hardening. I don’t believe it’s a paint. In the picture is a new Winchester 73 and a Marlin that was bone charcoal heated.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Ed

What type of red dot?

How did you mount it?

That looks like money!

Well done sir!

Burris FF3.

Turnbull mount.

https://www.turnbullrestoration.com...rmr-holosun-winchester-71-1886-receiver/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
You and one other guy.Don't know where those Pedersoli's came from .Mine is mirror finished inside,cycle's and feed's like butter.On par with my Perazzi. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by sqweeler; 06/26/22.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a Browning 65 and 53, 218 Bee and 32-20 respectively. Both are beautiful rifles and better fitted and finished than any original Winchester of the same models. My 65 is far more accurate than the two original 65s friends owned and shot. Never had the opportunity to shoot any original 53s. Handled a few in shops and at gun shows but never shot any originals.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Have the 1886 Browning rifle and carbine. Guess my boys will have to fight over them.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had an 86 back in the 80's I hunted with. I killed two bull elk with it, using 405 gr Semi jacketed bullets ( I think they were Remingtons) and 3031 powder. I tried some 500 gr cast in it 2-3 times.The only thing that had more recoil was a 12 gauge rifled slug in 3" magnum.

The first was frontal shot at about 50 feet. He reared and went over backwards and stumbled thru about 15yards of nasty blow down. The second was thru the lungs broad side at about 10 yards. He was angling up a hill, but turned and came down the hill towards me. He fell about 5 feet in front of me.

I was not fun to shoot and was pretty heavy. I think around 11-12 pounds fully loaded.. Carrying it in a saddle scabbard, it tended to pull my saddle off center unless I loaded the other side.

Toting it around in thick timber crawling over blow downs was not fun either. Sorry I sold it though, but I have old Winchester 94 now made in the early 1900's in 38-55 that is little easier on the shoulder

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/25/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Nothing but a plain working modern Miroku made one of 501 1886 .45-90 TD rifle. Which is what I needed for planned hunts in Africa and America.
Ballistics of NF 450 grain FPS bullet at 2150 FPS MV are in upper .458 Win Mag range and kill accordingly.
The 9,5 pounds weight helped in aiming the rifle and controlling the recoil. As expected, the rifle recoiled vertically and then settled right back down on target thanks to the crescent butt plate; works like a charm.
It met all requirements as did experienced 1886 hunter that shot for our team in Africa.

As expected, I am not interested in "bling" on a tool such as a rifle. Functionality and reliability come first and bling is never even considered. After it bounced out of a speeding vehicle in Africa, the scrapes and dents were removed as was the forward tip of the cheek rest thereby allowing the tang sight to fold back into lock below the top line of the stock butt .
Reckon a new picture is overdue?
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Last edited by crshelton; 09/25/22.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 1 in 500 (501?) in 45-70. The rifle is a little heavy. My oldest son fondles it each time he sees it.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by EdM
I own a Browning M71 Carbine and a Browning M53 and both are beautifully fit and finished. They shoot well too. This is my 71's maiden voyage with a red dot. Yeah, I know...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ed, I been thinking about buying one of those Turnbull mounts for my 1886 45-90.
When you mount the rifle to your shoulder is the red dot easy to find? Or do you have to "search" for it?
What size dot did you go with?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you mount the rifle to your shoulder is the red dot easy to find? ???

One of the reasons that I stayed with old fashioned "peep" apertures and a folding barrel sight.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
726 members (007FJ, 222Sako, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 72 invisible), 2,919 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.