Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I’m looking for recommendations for a gunsmith experienced in work on CRF DGRs. The rifle is a Ruger RSM 450 Rigby which has had work done on the guide rails. The right rail width has been reduced and needs to be rebuilt. I’m also looking for timing of the cartridge to be adjusted correctly. As this is intended to be my primary DGR I would like to identify someone with proven experience delivering 100 percent reliability.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’d had the same question and here are some names that were suggested to me recently (I’ve not talked to any of these people yet). They are:
Chad Dixon (longrifles, inc in SD)
Duane Weiber
Randy Selby
Matt Roberts (MNR custom)
Gary Junk (arctic Gunworks)
Hill Country Rifles
AHR

Hope this helps and that you can get your issue sorted out.

Last edited by SafariLife; 04/14/22. Reason: Wording
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks, SL. I recognize some of the names and will contact them to see what might be possible. I had planned on using this rifle in June in Zim for its intended purpose but that may not come to pass.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the guy for you, his name is Mark Penrod. I had the same rifle in 416 Rigby and found the action would sometimes bind when cycled fast. I sent it to him and it came back perfect. You can find his contact data on the internet,

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks Jorge. That’s exactly the problem I’m having.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I have the guy for you, his name is Mark Penrod. I had the same rifle in 416 Rigby and found the action would sometimes bind when cycled fast. I sent it to him and it came back perfect. You can find his contact data on the internet,

Mark is great, but it might be June of 2023.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Suspect so. It looks like I have to change rifle plans. I’ll take an M-70 404J for primary and a 458 Win Mag back up.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Spoke to several of the GS on the list. Most don’t work on Rugers. Noted reluctance about taking on the job. I figured out that keeping the bolt running on top of the right feed rail by about 0.025”- 0.030” will solve the problem. Because I don’t want to take a chance weakening the factory heat treatment of the receiver, I’m planning to buy some 85K psi silver solder from Brownell’s and using a 0.030” steel shim on the left lug runway to keep the lower bolt lug running on top of the right feed rail. Found temperature control paste to prevent heat transfer to the receiver ring which will prevent damage to the locking recesses.

All of this will take longer than I have available before the Zim trip so it will have to wait til I get back. I’ll take a Win M-70 Pre-64 404 Jeffery Rimless Nitro Express Roger Biesen made for me as a primary DGR and a Ruger tang safety 458 Win Mag for a back up. Both feed the correct diameter 400 grain and 500 grain CEB BBW #13s Safari Solids respectively flawlessly. The rifles will keep these bullets in a 2” target out to 50 yds. with iron sights. That will do.

Very disappointed the Ruger RSM 450 Rigby won’t make the trip. It’s the perfect bolt action DGR for a tuskless elephant rifle in Zim. Maybe there will be a next time, God willing.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Finally spoke with Mark Cromwell who’s agreed to take a look at the rifle. He’s backed up - no surprise there - but I really like this rifle and will go a long way to salvaging it. So I’ll ship it when I get back.

Things happen for a reason. The problem with the 450 R gave me a chance to work with the 404 Jeff on a pre-64 M-70. Very accurate and flawless feeding and extraction with CEB BBW #13’s at 2500 FPS. If easily feeds empty cases and carries 4 cartridges down and 1 in the chamber. Going into the herds with 5 cartridges ready is not a bad idea.

I promised the GS who made this DGR I would take it after elephant but unfortunately never got to it. This trip will fulfill that promise, unfortunately a bit late. A magnificently classical rifle from a late master fitting for a last safari.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (10gaugeman, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.