Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Rickety,

Weren't my intent for you to Re-GoogleFu your Homoerotic Fantasies...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I'm VERY "surprised" just how deeply Traumatized you are in being a "Victim",due a "Life" of extolling same and a deeply rooted FEAR of hats. Texas sure do sound "SCARY!". Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even those of your ilk can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rickety,

You be SURE to keep citing your countless and very WELL founded Insecurities and I'll happily fuel them...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Then expound a bit more on the SCARY Texas "Outdoors" and "all" of your "Adventures". Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even those of your ilk can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Rickety,

You be SURE to keep citing your countless and very WELL founded Insecurities and I'll happily fuel them...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Then expound a bit more on the SCARY Texas "Outdoors" and "all" of your "Adventures". Hint.

A fat Ed Norton! Ha Ha

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rickety,

I'm happy to be whatever you NEED most...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

At least you can "afford" to steal pictures and Whine aloud,in regards to your countless and very WELL founded Insecurities. No wonder the Texas "Outdoors" are soooooo SCARY to you. Hint.

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just having some fun with you, happy Memorial day.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rickety,

I enjoy that you "think" your fhuqking STUPIDITY is a "choice"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Rickety,

I enjoy that you "think" your fhuqking STUPIDITY is a "choice"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You bite like a little perch in a pond. Hah!

Last edited by rickt300; 05/28/22.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rickety,

If it salves your Reality even a LITTLE bit,that you being a CLUELESS Brokedick Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit who's TERRIFIED of The Real Outdoors and especially Hats is "bait",be sure to "sell" it as same...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I'll happily fuel all of them Insecurities,as you "justify" your Nothingness. Simply pardon wares that exist,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Soup
Folks,
I've got two No.1 rifles in .243Winchester and a 1V in .22-250Remington.
One .243 is a 1a the other is an RSI. I've read where some folks use them for long distance. Mine are both 10 twist so bullets over 100 grains don't stabilize. The .22-250 is a 14 twist. Although I haven't tried anything over 53 grains wouldn't you need to be in the 70-grain weight for over 400 yards?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.
Semper Fi,
Soup

You're up against several issues. Not impossible to get by them but no guarantees.

The first thing is probably the rifles. Ruger #1s, beautiful as they are, aren't usually stellar shooters. There are some design issues that work against them compared to a bolt action. The best #1 I've ever owned was a .375 H&H (stainless/laminated) which would go around 3/4ths of an inch with 260 grain Accubonds. Those in varmint calibers, regardless of the rifle's configuration, haven't been that good, maybe 1.5 MOA on their best day and closer to 2 MOA over the long haul. Some would not hold 4 MOA.

Second is, as you've noted, twist.

Now .. "long distance" means different things to different people. Whether a 1-14" twist in a .22 CF or a 1-10" twist in a 6mm CF is good for "long distance" for varmint shooting depends on your idea of "far". Either will work out to .. oh, say 400 yards, maybe more maybe less.

There's been a lot of back and forth farther up-thread about bullets needed for long distance accuracy. I can agree with both perspectives to a degree. The thing the proponent(s) of the faster twists and higher BC bullets fail to remember is that those bullets do not give terminal performance appropriate to varmint use when they arrive. I'll give you a specific example. A good friend of mine built a 1-9" twist .22-250 AI which was very accurate with the 75 grain AMAX bullets. Was not a problem getting 500 yard hits. The problem was about half of the bullets expanded / blew up as a good varmint bullet should and the other half penciled through without expanding 'til they splattered on the rocks behind the varmint. There'd be a bit of blood left by said critter as it crawled off to die. We, as shooters, have a very marked shortage of bullets that have a high BC for fast twists yet still deliver explosive performance at 500+ yard distances reliably.

For varmint use, in a .22-250, "ideal" is driven by selection of bullets, not absolutes for external ballistics. If it was me I'd go with a 1-12" twist for 60 grain ballistic tips or vmax bullets. There are better choices for long range paper punching or whacking rocks, but for delivering explosive performance, I'm not aware of any and I've been doing "the varmint thing" a long time. In practice, with a 1-14" twist, I've had .. I think 8 rifles in .22-250 or .220 Swift. Only one, a custom Swift, would stabilize low drag 55 grain bullets (ballistic tip), the other 7 rifles required 50s for low drag and accuracy. (The 53 grain VMAX needs a 1-12" twist.)

For .243, the bullets that deliver varmint performance with the highest BC would be the Hornady 87 grain VMAX and Nosler 80 grain Ballistic tips. Other bullets with higher BCs are not designed for varmint bullet -like terminal results. Great game bullets don't make great varmint bullets. With those two, your 1-10" twists will do all that can be done. They work at 400 yards. I've never tested them at 500 or beyond.

So .. as a sort of summary .. I think the accuracy of your rifles is going to be the most limiting factor regarding distance, not bullet weight or twist. I expect the available VARMINT bullets to perform well enough within the distance you can hit a varmint reliably with a #1 in either caliber with the available twists.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
9" is a bust RPM,whether 223,223AI,224 PPC AFI,22BR,22-250,22-250AI,224 Speedmire,Swift or CHeetah. No thang to eek 3500fps outta a 7" RPM Speedmire,with a 75Max/ELD,if only for fhuqking starters. Hint.

It's #8 from far right. Now even you "know". Hint.

Projectile frangibility as per cup/cores,is increased with RPM. I shoot (7) twist rates in 223AI alone,from 7 to 14". Rotational velocity(frangibility),is shed at a slower pace than lineal(impact velocity). Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

B.C. of course is an Insurance Policy on Impact Velocity and gals who've never seen/done it,are quick not to mention same,as you obliviously quantify. Secondly,if only because increased RPM increases frangibility,there is no "down side". Hint.

I shoot a "few" .224" chamberings and in multiple rifles all. Hint.

Nice fhuqking TRY though. It's never been difficult to savvy,who actually fhuqking shoots. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Soup
Folks,
I've got two No.1 rifles in .243Winchester and a 1V in .22-250Remington.
One .243 is a 1a the other is an RSI. I've read where some folks use them for long distance. Mine are both 10 twist so bullets over 100 grains don't stabilize. The .22-250 is a 14 twist. Although I haven't tried anything over 53 grains wouldn't you need to be in the 70-grain weight for over 400 yards?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.
Semper Fi,
Soup

You're up against several issues. Not impossible to get by them but no guarantees.

The first thing is probably the rifles. Ruger #1s, beautiful as they are, aren't usually stellar shooters. There are some design issues that work against them compared to a bolt action. The best #1 I've ever owned was a .375 H&H (stainless/laminated) which would go around 3/4ths of an inch with 260 grain Accubonds. Those in varmint calibers, regardless of the rifle's configuration, haven't been that good, maybe 1.5 MOA on their best day and closer to 2 MOA over the long haul. Some would not hold 4 MOA.

Second is, as you've noted, twist.

Now .. "long distance" means different things to different people. Whether a 1-14" twist in a .22 CF or a 1-10" twist in a 6mm CF is good for "long distance" for varmint shooting depends on your idea of "far". Either will work out to .. oh, say 400 yards, maybe more maybe less.

There's been a lot of back and forth farther up-thread about bullets needed for long distance accuracy. I can agree with both perspectives to a degree. The thing the proponent(s) of the faster twists and higher BC bullets fail to remember is that those bullets do not give terminal performance appropriate to varmint use when they arrive. I'll give you a specific example. A good friend of mine built a 1-9" twist .22-250 AI which was very accurate with the 75 grain AMAX bullets. Was not a problem getting 500 yard hits. The problem was about half of the bullets expanded / blew up as a good varmint bullet should and the other half penciled through without expanding 'til they splattered on the rocks behind the varmint. There'd be a bit of blood left by said critter as it crawled off to die. We, as shooters, have a very marked shortage of bullets that have a high BC for fast twists yet still deliver explosive performance at 500+ yard distances reliably.

For varmint use, in a .22-250, "ideal" is driven by selection of bullets, not absolutes for external ballistics. If it was me I'd go with a 1-12" twist for 60 grain ballistic tips or vmax bullets. There are better choices for long range paper punching or whacking rocks, but for delivering explosive performance, I'm not aware of any and I've been doing "the varmint thing" a long time. In practice, with a 1-14" twist, I've had .. I think 8 rifles in .22-250 or .220 Swift. Only one, a custom Swift, would stabilize low drag 55 grain bullets (ballistic tip), the other 7 rifles required 50s for low drag and accuracy. (The 53 grain VMAX needs a 1-12" twist.)

For .243, the bullets that deliver varmint performance with the highest BC would be the Hornady 87 grain VMAX and Nosler 80 grain Ballistic tips. Other bullets with higher BCs are not designed for varmint bullet -like terminal results. Great game bullets don't make great varmint bullets. With those two, your 1-10" twists will do all that can be done. They work at 400 yards. I've never tested them at 500 or beyond.

So .. as a sort of summary .. I think the accuracy of your rifles is going to be the most limiting factor regarding distance, not bullet weight or twist. I expect the available VARMINT bullets to perform well enough within the distance you can hit a varmint reliably with a #1 in either caliber with the available twists.

Tom
Very good analysis and advice. If the OP needs to ask about the .243 Win and 22-250 for long distance, he's not going to be shooting over 450 yards effectively for quite some time. What he's got will suffice for a few years until he gets competent for the longer shots.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SniffleKchunt,

You "Crusading" CLUELESS Karens are a fhuqking HOOT!...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Gals who 'know" and "do" as "much" as you,are ALWAYS best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Here's to the fhuqking HILARITY,that you can't even "do" that "much". Hint.

Mechanics simply matter,despite all of it sailing over your pointy head. A GOOD 22LR as cited initially,is THE Key to The Kingdom. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying though!

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Whittaker’s had/have 1-8” 22-250 tikkas. That would be a nice move to make provided the scope works. Pretty much a turn key rifle. I spend the $10 on trigger springs but I think they’re better than most as they come. A set of sports match rings and a swfa 6x scope would be hard to beat for the investment.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That chambering,in said RPM do nice thangs up to and including .545 BC 88 ELD's,whether in OEM guise or punched 224 Speedmire. All from issued mag constraints. Hint.

If only for conversation,that is every projectile,excepting (1) in this line up. Hint.

I'll take a 40 MOA Mountain Tac' 1913 extended rail and Swiffer Low's. Hint.

'Tis a rather fhuqking ROBUST mounting system. Hint...............

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I don’t need one but will probably order one. Since I’ll want it cut to 17” and threaded it might as well get punched out too while it’s there. Perfect play toy and deer rifle. Then again I’m doing the same thing with the same thing in 223 just loading less powder.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
SniffleKchunt,

You "Crusading" CLUELESS Karens are a fhuqking HOOT!...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Gals who 'know" and "do" as "much" as you,are ALWAYS best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Here's to the fhuqking HILARITY,that you can't even "do" that "much". Hint.

Mechanics simply matter,despite all of it sailing over your pointy head. A GOOD 22LR as cited initially,is THE Key to The Kingdom. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying though!

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................
With all the hundreds of rifles you buy, and the thousands of chamberings, and even more variety with projectiles, are they just for photographs to impress forum members...how do you get hunting experience with each of them?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Riflehunter

You brought up an interesting point. Just assume that Larry has 500 guns. (From his pictures and claims, I'd guess that would be a vast understatement, but we'll go with 500.
And let's say Larry never works, and hunts 12 hours a day.
12hours a day x 365 days = 4380 hours.

if you divide 4380 by 500, you get 8.76 hours, per average that Larry uses each rifle.
That's if he doesn't work, and hunts 12 hours a day.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kudos on you Woke Crying Karens Melting Down,as you examine your Whining Brokedicktitude and copious WELL founded Insecurities...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Perhaps you Professional "Victims" can combine your "resources" and "abilities",to REALLY make a "stand"? Might I suggest you start with holding your collective breath and inch towards stomping your itty-bitty feet in unison,as you Hissy your Fits in that soothing High-Pitched Nasal Whine?!? Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

If only in the interest of "fairness",I only have (5) 224 Speedmires. 7" RPM version here(I've more in like RPM) and in an M40A1 matching number Return Handle,from Dick Davis. 90gr Beer Cans seem to fly fine at 3200fps+. Thoughts? Google as you MUST. Hint.

Keep submitting your very WELL founded Hurt Feeler Reports,as you Crying Kchunts extoll upon your Estrogen Levels and Bank Accounts. As an aside,what do you "Hard Chargers" do for a "living",which mandates your Whining Kchuntitude? Hint.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Kudos on you Woke Crying Karens Melting Down,as you examine your Whining Brokedicktitude and copious WELL founded Insecurities...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Perhaps you Professional "Victims" can combine your "resources" and "abilities",to REALLY make a "stand"? Might I suggest you start with holding your collective breath and inch towards stomping your itty-bitty feet in unison,as you Hissy your Fits in that soothing High-Pitched Nasal Whine?!? Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

If only in the interest of "fairness",I only have (5) 224 Speedmires. 7" RPM version here(I've more in like RPM) and in an M40A1 matching number Return Handle,from Dick Davis. 90gr Beer Cans seem to fly fine at 3200fps+. Thoughts? Google as you MUST. Hint.

Keep submitting your very WELL founded Hurt Feeler Reports,as you Crying Kchunts extoll upon your Estrogen Levels and Bank Accounts. As an aside,what do you "Hard Chargers" do for a "living",which mandates your Whining Kchuntitude? Hint.

You didn't answer the question: "With all the hundreds of rifles you buy, and the thousands of chamberings, and even more variety with projectiles, are they just for photographs to impress forum members...how do you get hunting experience with each of them?"

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Riflehunter

You didn't answer the question: "With all the hundreds of rifles you buy, and the thousands of chamberings, and even more variety with projectiles, are they just for photographs to impress forum members...how do you get hunting experience with each of them?"
Stick is legion and they are many.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 71 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.