Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
My next hunt is next April. My travel agent has come up with flights to Joberg via either United or Qatar.

Not having used either airline previously, I'm searching for feedback from those who have - good or not so good feedback.

Things like rifle and ammo handling both ways, flight cancelations and delays, and overall traveler comfort.

Costs and scheduling I can handle later, 'cause I got the time. Right now I'm trying to get a sense of who treats the traveling hunter best.

Thanks,
Pud

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't help. On my 2 trips over I used Delta. United is an American company----They would get my money.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have never flown either to Africa but have flown both enough to say that Qatar Air is ten times the airline that United is.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I won't voluntarily fly United, even domestic.

The only time I flew one leg on United, they lost my guns for four days.

Given a choice I fly Emirates or Qatar and avoid JHB like the plague.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I'm getting the same feedback from others as well.

Next week when I chat with the travel agent I'm gonna ask what's up with Delta as well...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Qatar hands down. You will most likely connect through Doha and it is a simple 15 minute walk to the Oryx Airport Hotel once you go through security. No hassles whatsoever and the aircraft are new, clean, with flight attendants who actually work.

If you are traveling with firearms you will need to complete some paperwork, however they are firearm friendly so no headaches there. You will want to check to make sure all the info below is current, however:

1. Starting at least two (2) weeks before you fly, submit a copy of your passport, your 4457 form, your booking reference number with flight details, and an invitation letter to [email protected].
2. Wait for a reply email - they will send a confirmation of your paperwork. If you don't get the reply, resubmit or contact them directly.
3. Pack your firearm and ammo (5 kg limit) as instructed.
4. Make copies of everything including your confirmation email and carry with you as you may need to present all the paperwork to the ticket agent when checking in.
5. If you are using multiple carriers, you will need to claim your firearms and present all your paperwork to the Qatar Air ticket agent. It will not be checked through from your originating carrier to Qatar Air. Otherwise, no additional steps necessary.

BUT, be prepared for a clueless ticket agent on the US side. So have all your instructions and paperwork ready to educate them. This is the weak link in the deal.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Awesome info STRSWilson! Much appreciated.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This is excellent information and I agree 100% about flying Qatar. Make your life simple and call Patrick at TravelWithGuns. They will handle all of the paperwork for you. I directed dozens of safari clients to TWG because EVERY ONE of them praised their work. We got nothing in return except happy clients.

RS

Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Qatar hands down. You will most likely connect through Doha and it is a simple 15 minute walk to the Oryx Airport Hotel once you go through security. No hassles whatsoever and the aircraft are new, clean, with flight attendants who actually work.

If you are traveling with firearms you will need to complete some paperwork, however they are firearm friendly so no headaches there. You will want to check to make sure all the info below is current, however:

1. Starting at least two (2) weeks before you fly, submit a copy of your passport, your 4457 form, your booking reference number with flight details, and an invitation letter to [email protected].
2. Wait for a reply email - they will send a confirmation of your paperwork. If you don't get the reply, resubmit or contact them directly.
4. Make copies of everything including your confirmation email and carry with you as you may need to present all the paperwork to the ticket agent when checking in.
5. If you are using multiple carriers, you will need to claim your firearms and present all your paperwork to the Qatar Air ticket agent. It will not be checked through from your originating carrier to Qatar Air. Otherwise, no additional steps necessary.

BUT, be prepared for a clueless ticket agent on the US side. So have all your instructions and paperwork ready to educate them. This is the weak link in the deal.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’ve flown Qatar many times. It should even be mentioned in the same breath as United or Delta….

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Pretty much any foreign airline is going to offer world's better service than a U.S. airline. U.S. airlines go out of their way to make you miserable.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Pretty much any foreign airline is going to offer world's better service than a U.S. airline. U.S. airlines go out of their way to make you miserable.

Yep.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
For business class, the only problems with either Emirates or Qatar are the long lay over times. Recently flew with Swiss. Terrible food. Mediocre seats. Qatar has great food and seats. Lufthansa mediocre food but much better seats. Swiss lost my return reservation. Will never fly with them again.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Absolutely right…. Once you fly Qatar, United seems like budget air

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am flying Qatar business class in September. Their business lounge in Doha puts Admiral's club to shame and I am really looking forward to trying their Q-Suite.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I recently flew Delta to JNB from Atlanta. I was quickly reminded why I prefer any foreign carrier to domestic airlines. Easily half of business class were either employees or folks flying on buddy passes. Not that it's a huge issue, but business class on Delta is always jammed packed.

My return flight was on Virgin. The difference between the two carriers was considerable. Unless it is unavoidable, I wouldn't consider a domestic carrier for foreign travel.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just tagging this thread for this great info:

Originally Posted by STRSWilson

Last edited by LeakyWaders; 05/31/22.
P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I went ahead today and booked my next hunt flight on Qatar via the travel agent.

Thanks everyone for the great input & info.

Pud

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Qatar far and away. Business class is worth the money! Individual compartments super. Has long layover going and tight coming back in Doha.

Last edited by muygrande1; 06/03/22.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
There is nothing to think about. Qatar is superior in every regard. I enjoyed the Q Suites last October on a flight from San Francisco to Dar Es Salaam. Great comfort, wonderful service and very good food. Example - when was the last time you enjoyed lobster on an airline flight? Qatar or Emirates are the only way to fly, in my opinion, if one or the other flies where you want to go. I don’t mind a long layover, especially when flying Emirates. Dubai is a fascinating place and I make sure to visit a friend who loves guns and African hunting when staying over in Dubai.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I work in aviation manufacturing and Qatar is at the top of the airline business. Their quality control second to none. I witnessed the paint inspection while I was at the Airbus facility in Toulouse, France. The inspector went over the whole engine cowling with a magnifying glass.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
638 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.