Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Does someone make an after market stock for it? Hogue, B&C? Then if you decide to sell put factory stock back on

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cut it!!

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by d500lnn
I have a 21” fieldcraft in 6.5 creed. It’s a little longer LOP than I’d prefer and I have to mount the scope way back to compensate for the long LOP.

Would it hurt resale value if I cut to 13.5” lop?

If it[s done right No it should not affect its resale.

I disagree, it will impact resale. But, what's more important; functionality and usefulness or forgoing a few dollars sometime in the future?
^^^That^^^

Given the cult status that they have right now cutting it is going to effect value to some degree but it’s not a “collectible” in the truest sense. They were made to be used as a hunting tool.

I hate to modify guns even if it makes it more user friendly. I don’t want to be the modern equivalent of the guy that drilled and tapped a pre war model 70. Then again those that did and moved into the world of then modern hunting optics probably didn’t regret it (but their kids probably did) lol.

If it were me and I were lukewarm about the rifle I’d sell it for peak dollars right now and buy something that I liked better. If you really like the rifle other than the LOP I’d cut it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I’d have it cut down, no question.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I would go with poster above and put thinner pad on it and leave stock as is. Your caliber is not hard recoiling so a thin pad would work fine. You could also try a scope with a more forgiving eye box.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How/where do you Day Dreaming Dumbfhuqks concoct such Retardation? Rest assured that what's stenciled on the barrel or scope,have less than ZERO fhuqking bearing on LOP. Hint.

They ship at 14.25" LOP and I'm unaware of another OEM Turnbolt of like affliction. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The subtle loss of 3/4"LOP,to connect dots,improves handling in non-lineal fashion and REALLY wakes the beloved platform up. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

THE Stock Doc(Joe Ducos) does exceptional work and ergo's are incredibly improved. Hint.

Just fhuqking do it.

Thank me later.

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Especially if your short.........

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rickt300
Especially if your short.........

Talking rifles not peckers here.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It will only hurt resale value if you are the one trying to sell it. If someone else is trying to sell it, it won't be reflected in the price whatsoever.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by d500lnn
I have a 21” fieldcraft in 6.5 creed. It’s a little longer LOP than I’d prefer and I have to mount the scope way back to compensate for the long LOP.

Would it hurt resale value if I cut to 13.5” lop?

Maybe, so what if it does? If you bought the rifle to use then cut it and make it fit you. At the end of your life does the extra couple of hundred dollars really mean anything. If you bought it to resale and turn a profit then don't cut it.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Do it...let your kids worry about any resale value

If it looks good, you'll see it
If it sounds good, you'll hear it
If it's marketed right, you'll buy it
But...If it's real, you'll feel it
Kid Rock
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It’s your gun. Make it fit you. Screw the resale value. It’s worthless to you if it doesn’t fit.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
13.5 is about standard on most guns anyway.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
To answer the OP's question: Pretty much any variation from factory original will hurt resale value. This is especially true if it is a "bubba job." But, you won't know how much money you will lose until you sell it.

The real question is: Should you cut it down? The best option is to buy an after-market stock, and make any modifications to it. This allows you to make the gun fit you, while preserving the factory stock in original form.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Aww.. lil ADA guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If properly done, in my opinion, cutting to 13.5" will not affect value. Now, if you were to cut it to 12", it would decrease your potential market by about 95+%, or more. However, even in that scenario, if patient, you might still get the same money.

After having said all of that, I would cut it so that you had a proper fit for you. Any modification can negatively affect market value. The same modification may even increase the market value to many. Market value is more timing than anything else anyway. You just need the right guy to see your sale ad at the right time.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 56 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.