Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I'm still using Remington Hinge and High-Pressure Grease made by Dupont.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickcNY
So I’ve seen a few different posts they made mention of Grease for break action shotguns any particular brand recommended over another? Frankly I’ve never used grease just clean them well and maybe just a touch of CLP

One of the critical reasons to apply grease to the hinge area is as a cushion. That's why white grease with its soap component is essential.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I have always used Rig or Stos. Been using it for a very long time. I know its old skool. Lots of newer stuff out there. But it works. No reason for me to change.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
How many shots before a new grease job is necessary? 1-10-100-200?

(Mobil 1 guy here. It seems to have a great rep on metal against metal in a high heat environment. A can most likely could last a a decade if only used in firearms that are shot a lot. Even the Walmart generic seems to work well.)

Rare to ever read about going inside to clean things up. Cold to hot to condensation, to perhaps no lubrication after years and years. Yet the insides are most likely never looked at by the vast majority. The insides are the parts that starts or stops the bang.

Last edited by battue; 05/18/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Mobil 1 here, put a Quart in he gun room about 10 years ago, still about 1/2 full, we service about 30 shotguns, all O/U, and about 20 bolt action rifles used on the range and hunting, the sandy dust here will eat a action if it's not taken care of. Rio7

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by battue

I reapply every shooting trip. How many shots I shoot at the range varies from 50 to as high as 500 in a day. It takes very little grease to hit the hinge, and forearm iron areas. Just a little dab on the end of my finger and you are good to go. I have seen more than a few guns with galling marks where the forearm iron meets the receiver due to no grease.
At the end of my shooting, I wipe my gun down and wipe off the old grease and apply new so that at next range trip, all I have to do is shoot.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
500 makes sense...50 is like changing your oil every 500 miles. Clay guns rarely get only 50, field guns would rarely get more. So field if the weather is fine, will most likely get a wipe down and put away.

Addition: Beretta A400's have gone a couple thousand with the insides getting a squirt every so often, before a good cleaning. One had around 25-30K and was still flawless.

Last edited by battue; 05/18/22.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Rather than buy something new for the job, if you have some in the house you can just smear some Vaseline on one or both surfaces. It works just fine.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My go to lube for moving gun parts is now Hornady One shot (not the case lube- the other one). I still use gun butter( a red thin grease) on slides because it makes me feel good and would probably use some for the hinge. It has proven to be good stuff but mostly I like that needle like applicator. You can get tiny amounts where needed so it lasts.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Truth be told, as can be seen by the multitude of different approaches that all work, it does not matter oil or grease as long as you use something that lubricates and take care to clean and replace often to prevent the accumulation of detritus.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by mag410
Truth be told, as can be seen by the multitude of different approaches that all work, it does not matter oil or grease as long as you use something that lubricates and take care to clean and replace often to prevent the accumulation of detritus.

That’s what I’m thinking. Lots of different lubes work if in the right place and replaced at reasonable intervals.

NRA Patron
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M

(Mobil 1 guy here. It seems to have a great rep on metal against metal in a high heat environment. A can most likely could last a a decade if only used in firearms that are shot a lot. Even the Walmart generic seems to work well.)

Rare to ever read about going inside to clean things up. Cold to hot to condensation, to perhaps no lubrication after years and years. Yet the insides are most likely never looked at by the vast majority. The insides are the parts that starts or stops the bang.

This--but where you shoot and hunt also makes a difference. I live in Montana, but also hunt other states, mostly western. There's far more dust in the air out here, especially early in the season, than there is in places like the UP of Michigan or Southern quail seasons. Or ptarmigan seasons anywhere....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hinge grease is made to do two things, necessary things.

1. Lubricate the moving parts.
2. Cushion the hinge.

A special grease is formulated to do both, and the English know what to use, white grease.

WHAT IS WHITE GREASE?
Lubricating greases are manufactured by combining oil with a soap. Soap is added to oil to create a thick, viscous stable gel called a grease. This process basically gives the grease an added 'stickiness' compared with oil. It can adhere better to the item it is applied to. White grease is used to lubricate metal-on-metal applications. It is a grease that won't run-off and due to its excellent heat stability it won't melt or freeze. It stays in place for a long time, giving long-term protection against rust and corrosion.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Luv2Safri,

Not about to question the validity of your post….and I know others who use both grease or oil, neither of which causes problems. However, out of curiosity, the other day after shooting around 300 rounds I I looked at the bearing surfaces on a Perazzi. They all still had visual evidence of oil doing what it is supposed to do.

That particular shotgun has around 12,000 rounds since a rebuild with new locking lug and the top level is still well to the right of center.

In addition according to Perazzi literature there are areas they recommend oil and others grease.

Krieghoff sells a product I think called K Lube or Grease. It is more of a liquid than thick. Even more so when warm.

I don’t think it matters one way or the other, as long as one puts it in the right area when required or needed. Especially with the metals used in modern firearms. It is going to take considerable neglect to result in any damage to moving parts.

Choke tubes seem to have more tendency to come loose with oil vs a thick grease. Especially those with coarse threads.

On thing to avoid is WD40…especially to anything inside were a light oil coating is the recommended go to.

Last edited by battue; 05/29/22.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
As the old song said....."Nobody's right if everybody's wrong." smile

https://www.giacomosportingusa.com/faq.asp

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

This--but where you shoot and hunt also makes a difference. I live in Montana, but also hunt other states, mostly western. There's far more dust in the air out here, especially early in the season, than there is in places like the UP of Michigan or Southern quail seasons. Or ptarmigan seasons anywhere....

That dust, which acts like a fine abrasive, is exactly why the gun should be cleaned and re-lubricated after each day hunting. Mixed with the oil and grease that we use to protect and preserve the life of the gun, it serves to essentially act as valve grinding compound unless cleaned off and reapplied.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.