Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#17235762 05/09/22
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I’ve always had lockback folding edc knives. Recently got an R2D2 with liner lock. The lock is awkward in my fat-fingered hands. Is there an advantage to liner locks I’m missing?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are a lefty, no.

I like lockbacks.

Liners are fine too also, i like the rat2’s.

But the more i use the axis / able lock knives, the more i like them.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Poorly designed and/or executed liner locks are awkward and can become disengaged allowing the knife to unlock. I don't have an example of the knife in question so I'm speaking in generalities. Properly done a liner locker should be fast and convenient for one hand operation with a daily carry knife for normal cutting chores. I wouldn't trust one for heavy duty use.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The liner lock on my Chris Reeves Mnumdi failed, I had it back and repaired within a week. My garage knife is also a liner lock and I like it, it is easy to work one handed.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Not a lefty. I’ve had the rat for about 5-6 weeks. I guess in time I’ll become accustomed to one handed use, for which I see the advantages.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t like liner locks, but lots of folks do. For me a mid-back lock like Spyderco uses in the endura is about perfect. It seems secure and easy to close one handed. Liner locks always felt like they didn’t engage with the same security, and seemed like they could u lock in use far easier than a back lock.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evening , I'm a lefty and don't have a problem with the liner locks, I suppose with heavy use were you happen to maybe twist the handle you may disengage it, ??? If it's sharp ya shouldn't need to push or twist it, maybe? I wouldn't go battoning with one for sure. If it's heavy use you can push them in place a little harder to make sure it's in as far as it will go. I've even got quite good at using some knives were ya can't change the clip around. Just takes time and use, you'll get use to it. If ya don't it will be a good excuse to buy another one, never can have to many knives!!! GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ironbender
I’ve always had lockback folding edc knives. Recently got an R2D2 with liner lock. The lock is awkward in my fat-fingered hands. Is there an advantage to liner locks I’m missing?

You one of those guys that can’t back up with mirrors?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deflave
You one of those guys that can’t back up with mirrors?
Back all my trailers with mirrors. Why?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

ironbender;
Good afternoon to you my northern friend, I hope that the day's been behaving for you and you're all well.

Like most older fellows, I started with various cheaper back lock knives, finally getting a Buck 110 for hunting and then a Buck Lite which was my "pucker cutter" - I'm a corer not a pelvis splitter. wink

While I liked fixed knives, somehow I ended up packing folders, especially on horseback, where as you know sometimes one lands where one didn't intend to. Well I surely did.

Anyways by then I was into a series of early Spyderco knives all of which had back locks.

When I got my first liner lock it was a flipper which is something I still like on any EDC blades. The biggest advantage I see other than they're very quick to get out and in use with one hand is that if used for gutting, some of the more open designs such as the Buck Vantage Pro are way, way easier to clean.

I will note that I don't use assisted openers or ball bearing equipped openers for gutting duty as they're too much of a pain to clean.

But if it's a teflon thrust washer sort of liner lock, then it's simple to clean and if it's required to take it right apart that's easily done as well.

Hopefully that makes sense?

All the best to you all up there my friend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
One handed operation and much less likely to accidentally unlock it at a bad time. Your thumb is in harms way when you start to close it... you get used to that pretty quick. Being able to open, use, close and stow a knife all with one hand is awful nice, especially if you frequently get left holding the bag. That way you don't have to put the bag down!

I remember on one particular midnight moose mission, a feller we both know had his folder close and try and cut him while he was using it. He muttered something about that being the second and last time that knife had done that. Then he closed it, and chucked it as far as he could into the swamp. I thought that a pretty good policy - no need to keep something around if it is trying to cut you all the time.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Always happy to read your perspective, Dwayne.

For me, it's just an EDC pocket knife. If I'm using it to cut up a critter, I did not plan/pack well. wink

I agree with the potential problem with a belted fixed blade whilst straddling a nag. Typically i have it in the saddle bag.

Our weather has been very nice, but gonna get toasty this weekend. pros and cons to that.

Best to you, amigo.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2
One handed operation and much less likely to accidentally unlock it at a bad time. Your thumb is in harms way when you start to close it... you get used to that pretty quick. Being able to open, use, close and stow a knife all with one hand is awful nice, especially if you frequently get left holding the bag. That way you don't have to put the bag down!

I remember on one particular midnight moose mission, a feller we both know had his folder close and try and cut him while he was using it. He muttered something about that being the second and last time that knife had done that. Then he closed it, and chucked it as far as he could into the swamp. I thought that a pretty good policy - no need to keep something around if it is trying to cut you all the time.
I think it's simply a paradigm shift to getting used to, or relearning a different opening/closing method, but my wife claims that I'm trainable.

Who pray-tell is the knife chucker? Initials or PM? smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ironbender;
Thanks for the reply and the kindness shown me once again sir.

As a broad statement and I know how slippery that slope can be, but as a broad statement I'd say that the Axis lock as done by Benchmade is likely the strongest lock on a folder.

They are however, not easy to clean pocket lint, etc out of and for sure not easy to clean blood and fat out at all.

The back lock might be stronger than a poorly functioning liner lock and is less likely to open if one is twisting with it. One can't make a heavy cut and twist with some liner locks as the lock can let go. Some won't of course.

It really depends on what one wants to do with the blade for sure.

I've made my peace with liner lockers because it allows me to have a flipper tab and they're the fastest to deploy for me.

Like everything though, it's a compromise you know?

For sure I carried a fixed blade in my saddle bags too sometimes, though usually it was a tomahawk and a folding saw if I was hunting.

All the best and thanks again.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 05/24/22. Reason: more information

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Dwayne
YOU are the kind gentleman here, even to ass holes! 😉

As to the pocket knife…
Improvise, adapt, and overcome.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Midnight moose mission. That might sound like a familiar story. Different moose, different location, same story!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have any problems with locks on pocket knives. Liner lock, back lock, side lock, Axis lock..................they all work fine, do their job and are fairly easy to manipulate. Maybe a fixed blade is better for some finger challenged folks? laughing

Sam......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
593 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.