Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gary
I’m gonna have to come and visit sometime.
That cannon would be fun!

Steve

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

BP-B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I built a much more primitive version, a scrapyard special if you will. I used a threaded breech with a male stud that accepts a percussion cap. Press cap on stud fill breech with 500 gr of 1F, install breech, drop projectile down tube...ka whump. I used beverage cans filled with cement. Great accuracy, I once had a 100 yard, 3 shot group. Fish ducks hated my 'mortar'. All things are possible with a scrap pile and a lathe.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Very neat. Although it would present multiple challenges trying to chronograph that thing, (grin).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

WOW!!!

Yeah that.

Just how many pounds of FFG are in that fireball?

We deal in lead, friend.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Now that's a work of art!

Well done, sir!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Very neat. Although it would present multiple challenges trying to chronograph that thing, (grin).

Set it up to fire level or close to it and use a Labradar on the “handgun” setting.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
G
gnoahhh Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Or, calculate the time and distance of impact from instant of firing, factoring in the angle of the tube and weight/ballistic coefficient of the golf ball, and temperature/humidity at sea level where I live, and.....never mind.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
gnoahhh,

Your cannon at the Savage Fest in Wellsboro is what rekindled my addiction. I'm in the process of starting a wagon carriage for my golf ball caliber Napolean cannon barrel. I originally built a ship style carriage for it but have since learned that it was the wrong style for that cannon so I did what any gun nut would do, I had the correct 18th century Naval style cannon barrel made for it and started collecting materials for a proper wagon wheel civil war style carriage for it. First step was having an Amish wood shop build me some wheels and then I assembled some decent oak and some strap metal and hardware.

Your brass turn screw elevation implement is a work of art! I am going to repurpose an old "C" clamp for the elevation screw. I just about have all the materials I need to make a go of it. I just need to get some shop time with my buddy to get it all together.

We could really make some smoke together!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by ROMAC
gnoahhh,

Your cannon at the Savage Fest in Wellsboro is what rekindled my addiction. I'm in the process of starting a wagon carriage for my golf ball caliber Napolean cannon barrel. I originally built a ship style carriage for it but have since learned that it was the wrong style for that cannon so I did what any gun nut would do, I had the correct 18th century Naval style cannon barrel made for the it and started collecting materials for a proper wagon wheel civil war style carriage for it. First step was having an Amish wood shop build me some wheels and then assemble some decent oak and some strap metal and hardware. Your brass turn screw elevation implement is a work of art! I am going to repurpose an old "C" clamp for the elevation screw. I just about have all the materials I need to make a go of it. I just need to get some shop time with my buddy to get it all together.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Love those wheels.
BTW, it looks like you have some guns mating back in the rack. 😁

Last edited by navlav8r; 05/29/22.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
G
gnoahhh Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
[quote=ROMAC]gnoahhh,

Youcannon at the Savage Fest in Wellsboro is what rekindled my addiction. I'm in the process of starting a wagon carriage for my golf ball caliber Napolean cannon barrel. I originally built a ship style carriage for it but have since learned that it was the wrong style for that cannon so I did what any gun nut would do, I had the correct 18th century Naval style cannon barrel made for the it and started collecting materials for a proper wagon wheel civil war style carriage for it. First step was having an Amish wood shop build me some wheels and then assemble some decent oak and some strap metal and hardware. Your brass turn screw elevation implement is a work of art! I am going to repurpose an old "C" clamp for the elevation screw. I just about have all the materials I need to make a go of it. I just need to get some shop time with my buddy to get it all together.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][/quote

Indeed, Roger!

I've sourced wooden wheels from Amish artisans over the years, but a wheelwright in Colonial Williamsburg provided the wheels for a full scale 1790 Mountain Howitzer I built 30 years ago. A 3-pounder gun whose barrel was a scant 18" or so. A buddy cast two tubes out of bronze and gifted me one. Jeez I wish I had kept it but a fella offered me an obscene amount of money for it.....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.