Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by MAC
My preference points for deer just went to 19. My sights are set on a unit 2 buck tag. Some day it will come in.

You’re a few points behind for a rifle tag. Point creep in Colorado has been getting out of control lately.

I know. I was a CO resident for more than 50 years until work took me to TX. I have enough points for deer and elk to draw any tag I want if I was still a CO resident but not as a non-resident. I did pull a buck pronghorn tag for the southeast corner of the state though. Looking forward to that.

Are you after a second or third season tag?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by bwinters
Somehow I didn't get drawn for a cow tag that has had leftovers in the past 3-4 years in the units I hunt. WTH.

Was there any tag cuts this year?

I'm guessing. I called DOW and they said my app looked God but more people applied this year. In 2021, there weren't leftovers and not all zero point guys drew. This year appears to be more apps than last year. I think my days of drawing tags every year with zero points are over. At least it seems that way looking at point creep across the units I've hunted for the past 15 years.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by MAC
My preference points for deer just went to 19. My sights are set on a unit 2 buck tag. Some day it will come in.

You’re a few points behind for a rifle tag. Point creep in Colorado has been getting out of control lately.

I know. I was a CO resident for more than 50 years until work took me to TX. I have enough points for deer and elk to draw any tag I want if I was still a CO resident but not as a non-resident. I did pull a buck pronghorn tag for the southeast corner of the state though. Looking forward to that.

Are you after a second or third season tag?

Third season. With big muleys the later in the year the better to try and catch the rut. Unit 2 doesn't offer tags for the 4th season.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My son and I struck out for unit 66 archery elk with 8 points.;[

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I burned my 5 points this year.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I drew a cow tag.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Wow!

My wife and I both drew Antelope, and we both drew Elk tags.

Going to be a good hunting season this year!

25-06 for the Antelope, and 338-06 for the Elk.

Can’t wait!

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Mac,

How did your bear hunt go at Bosque del Oso go last year? I've been collecting points for that tag but have no experience in that particular area. I've lived in CO for 38 years and tromped over much of the state, but not that part. I expect to draw in the next couple of years, probably go for it the year I retire. Any tips on hunting that area would be appreciated.
Jon

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I drew my second choice cow tag, gained a point, and will hunt OTC archery elk in addition to my rifle cow tag.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Astrodynamicist
Mac,

How did your bear hunt go at Bosque del Oso go last year? I've been collecting points for that tag but have no experience in that particular area. I've lived in CO for 38 years and tromped over much of the state, but not that part. I expect to draw in the next couple of years, probably go for it the year I retire. Any tips on hunting that area would be appreciated.
Jon

Filled the tag on opening day. Posted the entire story here so you can do a search for it. I hunted Leon Canyon based on the advice of Bob Holder who is the main game warden and a lot of scouting. I suggest calling Bob Holder and scouting. Look for the heaviest acorn crop you can find. I saw 2 other bears right after I took mine.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by Astrodynamicist
Mac,

Jon

Filled the tag on opening day. Posted the entire story here so you can do a search for it. I hunted Leon Canyon based on the advice of Bob Holder who is the main game warden and a lot of scouting. I suggest calling Bob Holder and scouting. Look for the heaviest acorn crop you can find. I saw 2 other bears right after I took mine.

It was a great story too!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My question is to the cpw, how can someone draw a tag in the same unit with no preference points as me and I didn’t draw with points. My buddy and his Dad drew tags!!! I don’t understand, if you can explain,please let me know?

Last edited by crash; 06/26/22.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Daughter and I applied as a group, she’s never been and had no points so that nixed my points. The point guide showed there were leftover tags last year. We did not draw. We reapplied in the second draw for the same unit so maybe some people chose not to go this year with $5 gas, never know. If not I’ll be going in archery and she can tag along

Shawn

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by crash
My question is to the cpw, how can someone draw a tag in the same unit with no preference points as me and I didn’t draw with points. My buddy and his Dad drew tags!!! I don’t understand, if you can explain,please let me know?

As stated, if you apply in a group and someone has zero points, the whole group goes in at zero

Very common problem is a credit card was rejected, however, you should have gotten an email about that. Even if you don’t change your card, if the expiration date changed, and you didn’t charge it on the website, it will be rejected.

Also sometimes there is some kind of small error on your application: checked NR instead of res, entered incorrect hunt code, ect

If you don’t think you could have had an error or CC failure, I would call them. They should be able to explain the issue. Maybe even give you a tag if it was their error and you point it out before the 5th.

Last edited by txhunter58; 06/29/22. Reason: A

Venor ergo sum
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I didn’t draw a deer tag one year with 2 points in a 2 point unit, a guy in camp drew it with 1 point. I called CPW and asked what the deal was. “Oh that seems to have been a computer error on our end, we accidentally split your account and you have two accounts with the same info and one point on each account” is what the dude told me. Followed up with, “okay I fixed it, now you just have the one account with all three of your points on it but we’ve allotted all the tags for that unit so I can’t award you one even though it was our fault”.

So the next year I burned all three of my points to draw the same 2 point tag.

As the CO game warden told me that year when I spoke with her, “ they don’t care about you, they just want your money”.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by TheKid
As the CO game warden told me that year when I spoke with her, “ they don’t care about you, they just want your money”.

True words for sure. Look at the 2nd draw. Although I am all for awarding tags to youth CPW, although states it in the BG brochure, does not advertise it much. A lot of people forget about it and put in for units with only a few tags left. CPW loves that $7 application fee.They know darn well that most adults have about as much chance off drawing some of those tags as they do drawing a moose tag. They ought to be honest about it and make the 2nd draw youth only,then sell everything else in the leftover sale.

The other thing is no way will they ever limit OTC tags. We can be crawling all over each other in the field, but they will keep selling the. They love that money.

I see where Polis appointed Bret Axton of the SE CPW office to lead up the oil and gas commission. What the heck does CPW have to do with our oil and gas. NO doubt pursuing more of Biden's war on the oil and gas industry.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We didn't draw our first choice elk tags so we'll be checking out some new areas this summer. On the one hand I'm glad they limit the number of tags in my favorite unit, on the other hand, I wish they'd have limited those other guys.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can join me on my bighorn hunt in August if you get bored. Be good training for an older guy.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 30338
You can join me on my bighorn hunt in August if you get bored. Be good training for an older guy.

Congrats buddy! Awesome stuff. You must be excited

Semper Fi
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 30338

Holy mackerel kingfish, that's a heck of an offer. We should talk.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 16 invisible), 1,239 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,227
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.