Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Not necessarily missing the rear sight, if the Lyman 48 WJS is factory a Lyman 12S flat top blank would be supplied in the rear dovetail.

Its missing the rear sight. No ifs and or buts about it. That is a deduction of approximately $150.00 in todays prices. Very nice rifle, but not complete by any means..

You 100% sure about that?? On the model 54’s if a Lyman 48 was factory installed it still came with a rear sight. But Winchester changed that when they introduced the model 70. Like poconojack stated if the Lyman 48 is factory installed then it would have the Lyman 12S.

Ok John, let me try to explain to you guys my reasoning: First, the OP claims the stock, was not cut or in his words "factory", to allow for the Lyman 48 rear sight. That means that sight is not correct for the age of that rifle. In fact the 48WJS sight was such that in 1939 you had to cut the stock in order to fit it to the rifle. Again, only going off of what the op is telling us here:

Originally Posted by kaboku68
The LGS has a 1939 Pre-War Model 70 30/06 with a lyman 48 peep sight in a conservative 95% condition at 2K. It is very smooth as if the bolt has been worked a lot but it doesn't look like it has been hunted as much or likely at all. The condition is superb. I guess without pictures, it is useless. I am interested in the rifle but the price is a little steep.

I'm not trying to be a di ck and prove pocono wrong here. Just pointing out the facts given on this rifle. See, this is the issue you have with these rifles at times. Either the OP is wrong in his evaluation and the information he is giving us and the stock has in fact been cut, or it is not an original sight, or it is not a "lyman 48". I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume what they are telling us is factual, so I'm going with what the op originally told us. I'd like to ask you guys how many of you have bought used rifles with these sights installed? I have many times guys. You can also buy an aperture and anyone can install it. That DOES NOT mean the rear sight is original and how the rifle was issued. In this case, with the information given to us, the rear sight is not original, thus it should in fact have the 22G/3C rear sight on it, like I had previously stated. Yes, it could also have a 1c or 2c elevator, but that was not as common. Now, had the OP said, the rear sight is a Lyman 57W, which was a cheaper version of the 48WJS, we can all agree that there would be a blank installed where the rear sight would go, but the op did not make that statement. He in fact states it is a "lyman 48 peep sight". Now, to be clear: the question about the stock being cut was asked:

Originally Posted by Red_spruce
Was the stock cut to accommodate the Lyman? If not I would agree with knives and AK. Those prewar model 70’s have in great or even good condition have been bringing good prices lately.

Here was the response:
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Factory.
That is like a Jen Psaki response to a question. Does that mean it's been cut or has it not been cut for the rear sight? I took it as uncut, unmolested factory stock.. I may be wrong here? This is a "collectors forum", the op says he has a "95%" condition rifle he is interested in. We should in fact be pointing out all we can to aid in the decision. Otherwise why ask the question?

Yo L train calm down..I was outside planting our garden or I should say potatoe field. Anyhow I did more reading and that is a 3rd model made 48WJS on that prewar, so you be correct the rear sight was removed. Some reason I had it in my head those came out sooner. I got my 54 with a 48WJS confused with my pre64 that had a 48WJS on it my bad.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The updated pics on page 4 do not qualify the gun as 95%. The gun is nice, real nice, but altered. It definitely has the 1947 and later Lyman 48WJS receiver sight, it shows at least one "Extra hole" in the rear bridge and has the stub of a Winchester 22G rear sight in the dovetail. It is still a minimum of $1,500.00 in that condition / configuration. Enjoy it. As has been stated, you can get money anywhere; you can't get a nice Winchester anywhere. Again it has been altered. It isn't 95% anymore. It may have 95% original finish, but it has been altered. Nice gun!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 160user
Unmolestered Pre-wars are getting tough to find. Most have been drilled in the back or side, have been cut for a pad or some genius sunk a compass in the stock. If it truly is 95% $2k is obviously on the upper end but that is their ASKING price too.

I had this prewar Carbine in 22 Hornet. I saw something else I wanted more and I sold it for $8,000.00...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Wow.

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
no picture here from me but from a well known loony on 24 hr. Campfire he sold me a pre -war 257 Roberts in good shape from a nice agreement but mine ain`t for sale its going to my wife`s / kids garage sale when i die .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
133 members (300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,812 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.