Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I leave Friday for a fly in trip North of Lake of the Woods, Kenora. Anyone had any luck yet?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
Friends of mine were due into northern Manitoba on Saturday. For the first time in 39 years, the outfitter will be unable to open their lodge and outpost camps. Everything is still frozen over. It should be clear when I get there, the end of July.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
How far north of Kenora?
Osky

Last edited by Osky; 06/01/22.

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
20 minute plane ride. Was just told there is flooding. Don’t know if we can get in or not. Damn, Covid and now this

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by blairvt
20 minute plane ride. Was just told there is flooding. Don’t know if we can get in or not. Damn, Covid and now this

My first northern run is farther up and those areas are 10 days behind. My first trip was to start on the 6th, now it will be the 18th. Again much farther up.
Sounds like your going to be somewhere along the English river system. People tell me it’s very hi.
Your going to be fishing walleyes nice and shallow.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B2

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by blairvt

My first northern run is farther up and those areas are 10 days behind. My first trip was to start on the 6th, now it will be the 18th. Again much farther up.
Sounds like your going to be somewhere along the English river system. People tell me it’s very hi.
Your going to be fishing walleyes nice and shallow.

Osky
It is the English River system. How will being high effect the fishing?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What used to be 6' deep, will now be 12' deep.

The fish will not be, where they usually are, for this time of year.

Hopefully, your outfitter has it sussed out !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Hopefully, your outfitter has it sussed out !
We get dropped off on our lake and we are on our own. Hopefully we can figure them out

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a good illustration of the how much the Rainy watershed is up.
This is the mermaid on the Canadian side.
It is expected to rise another 8-11" in the next week.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I would first try some trolling up in maybe 6’ of water especially if it’s a darker colored water. That depth with this hi water will maybe put you up in a lot of snags?
New-2… is spot on as most outfitters want you to be successful and return so ask them.
Hi cold water may be good to stay in 10’ or so and tossup 1/4 ounce jigs tipped with rubber. Fish may be a bit lethargic.

I like shorelines/points in those conditions because so much new debris is flushing in but the reefs and humps have the return spawners lingering, give them attention.
Nothing scientific or official in this, just the way I would appproach it. Good luck!

Osky

Last edited by Osky; 06/02/22.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
"as most outfitters want you to be successful and return so ask them.
Hi cold water may be good to stay in 10’ or so and tossup 1/4 ounce jigs tipped with rubber. Fish may be a bit lethargic.

I like shorelines/points in those conditions because so much new debris is flushing in but the reefs and humps have the return spawnersingering, give them attention."

Good advice, here, all round.

I'd certainly be asking for pointers, too.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That's hard to wrap my head around !!! The lakes we fish on the English River system (north of Ignace) would be back into the woods quite a ways in places. I've never been there before the 2nd week of June. So I've never seen it like that.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Blair.. hope you get this. I just read this back and realized I missed a biggy. If the lake is actually on the English it will have inlet(s) and outlets. This time of year start at those incoming waters and I mean tossing right to the base of the falls if not the pools up in the raceway.
From there fish the shorelines Adjacent to that incoming water shallow out to deep.

Have a great trip.
Osky

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bobmar
Friends of mine were due into northern Manitoba on Saturday. For the first time in 39 years, the outfitter will be unable to open their lodge and outpost camps. Everything is still frozen over. It should be clear when I get there, the end of July.

Wow. Ive used to fish N Mantoba for years in the 80's in June and never had an issue

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Yoder409

That's hard to wrap my head around !!! The lakes we fish on the English River system (north of Ignace) would be back into the woods quite a ways in places. I've never been there before the 2nd week of June. So I've never seen it like that.

Fished the English river system many years great fishery!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ribka

It was quite something back in the 60’s and early 70’s before the pollution event. A guy named Lamm if I recall had a 5 star operation on the English just up from grassy narrows. Incredible all the Hollywood and worldly known people that were flown in there to fish.

Osky

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It was quite something back in the 60’s and early 70’s before the pollution event. A guy named Lamm if I recall had a 5 star operation on the English just up from grassy narrows. Incredible all the Hollywood and worldly known people that were flown in there to fish.

Osky

What was the "pollution event" ?? I had never heard of that..........

My first year was 1974.

Last edited by Yoder409; 06/03/22.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Osky

My first year was 1974.

Back in 69 or so there was mercury pollution found in the English River system originating they said from a lumber milling plant in Dryden. Supposedly from there west to lake Winnipeg the waterways were polluted to one degree or another.
They caught the issue and got it cleaned up but at the time it forced closure of resorts along there and Lamms was probably the biggest and well known? There are people on here older than I am who may know of other operations closed.

Osky
I will add… I was a dock boy just starting to guide some. A good fly in camp consisted of wooden floor decks, with canvas walls up to about 4’ then going to a peak. Zip front opening. The separate “building” for cooking and eating was the same type of floor but with 8’ hi plywood walls. This was to help deter any bears. Camps also had a big dog of some sort for the bear control as well.
I never visited Lamms camp then but I sure remember flying over it. Real solid wood cabins with roofs and really large main buildings all wood again. In the wilderness. It was a jewel and very well known. People said back then he employed most of the natives from the village of Grassy Narrows.
Most of the outboards were maybe 10 horse back then, we did a lot of portaging with clients and those were carried along.

Last edited by Osky; 06/03/22.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Osky

My first year was 1974.

Back in 69 or so there was mercury pollution found in the English River system originating they said from a lumber milling plant in Dryden. Supposedly from there west to lake Winnipeg the waterways were polluted to one degree or another.
They caught the issue and got it cleaned up but at the time it forced closure of resorts along there and Lamms was probably the biggest and well known? There are people on here older than I am who may know of other operations closed.

Osky
I will add… I was a dock boy just starting to guide some. A good fly in camp consisted of wooden floor decks, with canvas walls up to about 4’ then going to a peak. Zip front opening. The separate “building” for cooking and eating was the same type of floor but with 8’ hi plywood walls. This was to help deter any bears. Camps also had a big dog of some sort for the bear control as well.
I never visited Lamms camp then but I sure remember flying over it. Real solid wood cabins with roofs and really large main buildings all wood again. In the wilderness. It was a jewel and very well known. People said back then he employed most of the natives from the village of Grassy Narrows.
Most of the outboards were maybe 10 horse back then, we did a lot of portaging with clients and those were carried along.

OK. That was all west of where we went, so............. But I had never heard of that. Thanks for the education.

We did some portaging in the 70's and very early 80's. Guy in town kept a 14 footer on several of the more remote lakes. Boat back in. Tie off and carry rods, tackle boxes and a 6 or 10 outboard back through the woods. Turn the boat right side up and put the motor on.

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I was worried for nothing. Water was high but we killed the fish! Best week of fishing I ever had. Non stop. Didn't catch any monster walleye but lots of average size ones. Can't say that I know much about catching walleye, The smallmouth were a bonus.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,898 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,346
Posts18,468,775
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.