Hop To
Page 14 of 26 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 25 26
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Gray hair, ponytail, gray beard, earings, baggy shorts............

Oops, I may not meet someone's approval

But, I was wearing the appropriate snow boots for the job, so that's got to be good for a coupla points?
Wait a sec.. Earring?
Don't be judgy.

Hoops or studs??
I bet ol' Geno is a gauger.

Haven't found the need yet.

Maybe in a few years when I hit 70 or so.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Not much more pathetic than an old hippie. Come to think of it they were pretty pathetic when they were young.
Wasn't ever a "hippie".

They're non-violent.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raferman

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

But, I was wearing the appropriate snow boots for the job, so that's got to be good for a coupla points?
Were you wearing crocs that time you went wheeling?
In the creek 😁
Driving barefoot. Sandals under the seat to get out when I arrived at the docs.

Had to wade down the creek 50' or so, over rocks and boulders and what not just to get past the majority of the brambles on the bank so's I could climb over the boulder rip rap armoring the road and get up to where help was arriving. 45F air temp maybe, drizzling, me in a t shirt and shorts, barefoot. Have now idea what the water temp was, Real Men like me aren't concerned about little things like that in those conditions.

Was lucky, the 4 Mexican fellas ( I didn't ask if they were immigrants of any flavor) that saw my car in the creek and had turned around to come back and check provided me with a thin jacket and a pair of flip flops. Some lady came by and donated me a blanket. Good thing too, as it took awhile (it usually does Out West) for the official helpers to arrive.

I guess I could have dressed for the occasion at home, put on my wet suit or at least the chest waders, for a 180 mile drive. That would have made for a comfortable 3+ hours. That might be what some folks would think appropriate.

PS, I was lucky enough to get the sandals back, my worn out favorites, when we got my scheidt out of the tow yard.

Last edited by Valsdad; 06/01/22.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by m1919

Right there with you my northern Brother!

Dude,

you rock!

In it is contentment

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Dress as you like folks, a hockey goalie would look silly dressed as a cowboy, and a cowboy dressed as goalie. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I never could wear flip flops for any extended period of time. I bought a nice pair of leather Olu Kai flip flops in Maui last year so that I had some fancy dress up flip flops for high falootin joints but after an hour or less of wearing them the space between my big toe and second toe starts hurting. I’ve got a half dozen pairs of flip flops from $5-$125 and they’re all as uncomfortable as hell.

I’ve never owned a pair of crocs and likely never will, they’re not my style. If I need something akin to Crocs then I’ll throw on one of the dozen pairs of Romeos that I have since they’re comfortable and they slip on easily. I mostly wear square towed Wolverine boots anymore but occasionally in nice weather I’ll wear Romeos. My boots are as comfortable as my Romeos but offer more protection so they get the nod most days.

I never spent much time worrying about the footwear of other men but I use the rule of 70 when I do….if anyone under 70 years old or with an IQ above 70 wears Velcro tenny runners I turn tail and head the opposite direction since they’re likely a few apples short of a bushel…😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Aces, you might try some slides instead of the "thongs" as we used to call them (that word has a newer meaning for sure)

I'd love moving to Hawai'i if we could afford it. Go do business in shorts, a Hawai'ian shirt, and a pair of flip flops. No need for suits and ties.

In it is contentment

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Looks like a fashion statement to me. Certainly not practical to have all that hair in the summer heat of Cali. I suggest a trip to Woodstock where you'd fit right in.

You'd be quite surprised at how well the beard and long hair insulate from the heat. Having lived in places where it actually gets hot, no heat index needed, I might know.

Not sure if that was the day the official thermometer at the station read 126-128F, but we'd have weeks where it was over 110F every day and would hit 120+ more than a few times every summer.

Haven't shaved the beard since '79 -'80, so that might be an indication a Real Man can deal with little things like that.
Yeah, more insulation is always good in the summer. That's why I always wear my insulated boots and parka in August. Look, I grew a beard and let my hair grow out for winter/hunting season for years. I'd shave and cut my hair short in the summer because it's cooler and I've spent enough time in a 120-130* hay mow stacking bales to know. It's fine by me if looking like a scurfy ass old hippie makes you happy and helps you feel like a manly man. I guess if my mug was too damned ugly to go out in public without scaring old ladies and small children I might keep it covered with a beard all year myself. Fortunately that isn't the case so I can enjoy being clean shaven in the warmer months .

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, if you have insulation in the attic/under the roof of your house and don't believe it helps in the summer, I suggest you take it out every spring before it starts heating up.

In it is contentment

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, if you have insulation in the attic/under the roof of your house and don't believe it helps in the summer, I suggest you take it out every spring before it starts heating up.
Don't know about you but my internal body temp runs about 99*. My house doesn't have an internal temp like that so insulation will help keep the cooler air in and the heat out. Just gave my long haired dog his summer shave last week. Without it he suffers in the heat.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, and the beard and long hair keep my face at 98F and keep the 100F+ degrees off. Along with some evaporative cooling too.

In it is contentment

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yeah, and the beard and long hair keep my face at 98F and keep the 100F+ degrees off. Along with some evaporative cooling too.

Yep. Like a swamp cooler.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've found my head will sweat and cool from evaporation much better if it ain't covered in a thick layer of insulation, which is why I don't wear an insulated winter hat in the summer.. If insulation helps keep you cooler in the summer more power to ya. You might try ditching the shorts and wearing some insulated pants and insulated long sleeved shirt or maybe even a coat. That should keep you positively comfy on those scorching hot summer days. Or have you heat stroking out in short order.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've found my head will sweat and cool from evaporation much better if it ain't covered in a thick layer of insulation, which is why I don't wear an insulated winter hat in the summer.. If insulation helps keep you cooler in the summer more power to ya. You might try ditching the shorts and wearing some insulated pants and insulated long sleeved shirt or maybe even a coat. That should keep you positively comfy on those acorching hot summer days. Or have you heat stroking out in short order.

Good evening Blackheart.
I am currently helping a Mexican crew with a remodel on the western slope.
Those guys do just like you say and work their asses off wearing
hoodies , long pants, insulated steel toes and its typically over 65 ? Occasionally as hot as 90.
I dont know how they do it? I'm in shorts and tee shirt and those guys are bundled up like winter.

I was on a vacation with a Polish woman on Marthas Vineyard one summer.
We went to the nudie beach just about every day for 3 weeks.
Not a stitch on and I was always hot ?

Wind coming off the coast, neked as a jay same as everyone else and just hotter'n hell all the time?
Funny story, when guys gotta take a leak, they wade out into 4 feet of water and pee. You can always tell because it takes a minute to get used to the temperature change. You cant just bust out a gushing stream of piss when entering a cold ocean.
Women just stay put and pee little holes in the sand just where they sit.
Pretty handy for them.

Anyway I dont think there is a fool proof way to stay cool and its situational at best.
How did your Aunt that had the covid do? You never mentioned her after posting.

.... like tears in the rain
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
I've found my head will sweat and cool from evaporation much better if it ain't covered in a thick layer of insulation, which is why I don't wear an insulated winter hat in the summer.. If insulation helps keep you cooler in the summer more power to ya. You might try ditching the shorts and wearing some insulated pants and insulated long sleeved shirt or maybe even a coat. That should keep you positively comfy on those acorching hot summer days. Or have you heat stroking out in short order.

Good evening Blackheart.
hoodies , long pants, insulated steel toes and its typically over 65 ? Occasionally as hot as 90.
I dont know how they do it? I'm in shorts and tee shirt and those guys are bundled up like winter.

Wind coming off the coast, neked as a jay same as everyone else and just hotter'n hell all the time?
Funny story, when guys gotta take a leak, they wade out into 4 feet of water and pee. You can always tell because it takes a minute to get used to the temperature change. You cant just bust out a gushing stream of piss when entering a cold ocean.
Pretty handy for them.

Anyway I dont think there is a fool proof way to stay cool and its situational at best.
She's still alive and doing well. Thanks for asking. You sure those Mexicans aen't shooting up ? Reason I ask is I used to work with a guy that did and he was always cold and wore a hoodie on the hottest days.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook

Good evening Blackheart.

Pretty handy for them.

She's still alive and doing well. Thanks for asking. You sure those Mexicans aen't shooting up ? Reason I ask is I used to work with a guy that did and he was always cold and wore a hoodie on the hottest days.

I'm pretty sure they are clean , we all had to do piss tests for the home owners insurance to remain intact for being "invited" on the premises. Even the lawn crew had to pee?
I'm glad your Aunt is OK.

.... like tears in the rain
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Aces, you might try some slides instead of the "thongs" as we used to call them (that word has a newer meaning for sure)

Whatever you do, don't get Blackie started on thongs.

He might post some pics.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've found my head will sweat and cool from evaporation much better if it ain't covered in a thick layer of insulation, which is why I don't wear an insulated winter hat in the summer.. If insulation helps keep you cooler in the summer more power to ya. You might try ditching the shorts and wearing some insulated pants and insulated long sleeved shirt or maybe even a coat. That should keep you positively comfy on those scorching hot summer days. Or have you heat stroking out in short order.
You're a funny fellow for sure.

When it gets really hot, sometimes loose thin clothing is exactly the thing to do.

Insulated "clothing" defeats the air circulation/evaporative cooling thing. A beard doesn't.

Even an old guy like me has that figured out.

In it is contentment

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
You're a funny fellow for sure.

When it gets really hot, sometimes loose thin clothing is exactly the thing to do.

Insulated "clothing" defeats the air circulation/evaporative cooling thing. A beard doesn't.

Even an old guy like me has that figured out.
I've found when it's really hot the less clothing the better I like it so I generally take my shirt off. Of course nothing will really keep you "cool" when it's really hot but like my long haired dog, the less hair I have the better I feel. All the guys I worked with on the railroad apparently felt the same. We'd start in the wee hours of a cool summer morning wearing long sleeved shirts but by mid morning they had all been shed along with the T-shirts underneath and everybody was bare chested.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by smokepole

Whatever you do, don't get Blackie started on thongs.

He might post some pics.

Page 14 of 26 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.