Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
nuguy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I used to wade creeks when I was younger and got away from fishing all together over the years. I’m going to try to get back into it so need a new Ultra light /Light action set up. I used to use a 5ft. Ultra light so I’m guessing 5’ or 5 1/2 ft is plenty. I don’t need anything super expensive so any suggestions on something that’s light and sensitive and durable under $100 ? How about the Ugly Stick Elite or GX2?
Mainly for Small Mouth and Black and later White bass.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a Falcon Bucoo ultralight for panfishing / bass fishing on creeks.

link

Think i bought it on sale @ academy for $50.

Ugly stiks are great rods also.

I’ve got several paired with 2000 and 2500 size plueger presidents for creek fishing.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
The UL Ugly Stik is a pretty good value.

The Shakespeare Micros aren't bad, and they're so cheap it's not a crying affair if one breaks. I use one of those in 5'6"L for a lot of my small river/creek fishing. The 4'6" UL version is a bit whippy for my tastes, but not quite noodle-ish, so it kinds falls into a spot I don't really use much.

I've got one of the blue BPS Graphites in 5'6"L I use for pitching small beetle spins and spoons and such, but I don't think it is really that much better over the Shakespeare to justify the increase in price... $50 vs $17

N
nuguy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Yeah I don’t like real whippy Rods either but would like a softer tip and some backbone at least half way up the Rod.

N
nuguy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I’ve been looking up some rods and reading some reviews and it looks like a lot of complaints that the newer UGLY STICK rods have stainless guides that get grooves worn into them from the line. Maybe no Ugly Stick for me.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by nuguy
I’ve been looking up some rods and reading some reviews and it looks like a lot of complaints that the newer UGLY STICK rods have stainless guides that get grooves worn into them from the line. Maybe no Ugly Stick for me.

I’m curious did those reviews that were negative mention the type of line used? The lighter braid line sure seems “sharp” to me? I’ve always used mono with no trouble tho maybe the newer guides are cheaper?
I have a couple ugly sticks that I carry along for clients to use and the darn things are nearly indestructible, but again mono only and they are older rods.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
N
nuguy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Yes I believe they mentioned using braided line. I’ll be using mono or fluorocarbon so guess it will be fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish they still made the Zebco rhino.

Tough like the ugly stik.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I picked up a Pfleuger combo a couple years ago with a Presidential reel and 1-piece 5’6” light action IM8 rod which has been awesome for trout & smalllies. Took it out this morning and the little smallies I catch regularly on my favorite river (6-15”) feel great on it.

I run 8 lb spider wire with an 8 lb fluro leader uni-knotted in and I haven’t noticed any issue w/ the tip-eye.

https://www.amazon.com/Pflueger-PRESSP-President-Spinning-Fishing/dp/B074WHZ8QJ/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?c=ts&keywords=Fishing+Rod+%26+Reel+Combos&qid=1654374158&refinements=p_89%3APflueger&s=hunting-fishing&sr=1-2&ts_id=3409791

I have a Berkley 5- or 5’6” 2-piece UL I got for $40 at a local shop for trout fishing but I’ve not used it much.

https://www.amazon.com/Berkley-BSLR502UL-Lightning-Spinning-Rod/dp/B074WJF1CY/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=2C3PP75POTWX5&keywords=berkley+lightning+rod+spinning+ultralight&qid=1654374313&sprefix=berkley+lightning+rod+spinning+ultra+light%2Caps%2C123&sr=8-4

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Zebco is all chinese junk now. What a shame

IC B3

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z

When did they quit making those? I had bought one just a year or two ago. It ended up being a bit heavy for my liking though, so I sold it to a friend.

The old Zebco Pro Staff rods were good stuff. I still have one from when I was a kid that I keep around as a spare for the rare occasion that I bring someone fishing and they don't have their own rods.

N
nuguy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Yeah I read that AllStar Rods are China Rods now too. I still have one of their 5 1/2 “ pistol grip classics from probably 23 years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nuguy
Yeah I read that AllStar Rods are China Rods now too. I still have one of their 5 1/2 “ pistol grip classics from probably 23 years ago.

I think academy sports owns the all star brand now...

Originally Posted by zcm82

When did they quit making those? I had bought one just a year or two ago. It ended up being a bit heavy for my liking though, so I sold it to a friend.

The old Zebco Pro Staff rods were good stuff. I still have one from when I was a kid that I keep around as a spare for the rare occasion that I bring someone fishing and they don't have their own rods.

May still make them.. haven’t seen any at the Walmarks

Dave

N
nuguy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I’ve seen some good ratings on some cheaper OKUMA spinning rods. Anyone using one of those?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just say "no" to the Ugly Stik idea. Shimano makes a couple nice ones in the UL 5 and 1/2 footers and they go from $40-$60

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
N
nuguy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I just looked at our Walmart and all they had in Ugly Sticks under 6’ was a 4,6”” GS2 for $50. A little too short I think. What Model Shimano you using?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
4'6" is too short. I used a couple 4'9" inches for a couple years, switched to 5'5" and instantly got a tad more casting distance and accuracy. My current Shimano is a " Clarus" # CSS-56UL-2A...Its a few years old now so Im not sure if they still make it or have a comparable model replacing it. Ive got a couple Daiwa 5'6" around here, and they sell for about the same. Ugly sticks just don't have the action or feel.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Ugly Stiks in general are a little mushy for artificials, but they make great bait drowners.

If you want pure fun, it's hard to beat an old school glass noodle, but they are really heavy for their size. The sensitivity isn't great with them, but you'll probably never break one unless you step on it, and a 2# fish feels like you're fighting a blue whale on one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wandering past and noticed this thread. I LOVE fishing creeks, including the small brushy ones. Odd man out but I prefer a long rod for brushy creeks.

8 1/2’ spin and 9’ fly rod, and on the brushy creeks, NEVER cast. I may pendulum a bait or dunk it on 2 or 3 feet of line, but mostly I use the rod length to poke the rod tip to the spot I want to place a bait or lure, with the lure reeled to the rod tip. Then let out line by the inch down into the water, under logs, into holes, etc. I often poke the rod tip to the depth I expect a trout to be holding, upstream a few feet, and then pull out line to drift the bait downstream to right in front of his nose. 23 inch rainbow from a bathtub size pocket is my personal best with these tactics.

Traveling through the brush is the hard part, either poking the rod tip ahead through a hole my bod will go through, or trailing it behind me. Either way the line and hook has to be secured tightly to the rod. I use light rods but fairly heavy leader, to yank fish out from under logjams, etc. When you come to an open gravel bar where you can roll cast or maybe even backcast, you will think you are in heaven!

N
nuguy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I’ve been looking up Rods and so far it looks like

(1) FALCON BUCOO 5’9” ML $40.00 - read several reviews of them breaking in half on little fish or first use.

(2) LEWS WALLY MARSHALL SPEED SHOOTER 5’6” $43.00

(3) LEWS WALLY MARSHALL CLASSIC 5’6”. $54.00

(4) ACC CRAPPIE STIX GREEN 5’ or 5’6” lite $70.00

(5) TOD HUCKABEE SIX SHOOTER 6’ ML $100.00

(6) TEMPLE FORK PANFISH ROD 5’6” UL $100.00

(7) SHIMANO CONVERGENCE, CLARUS etc….$30-$50

(8)DAIWA CROSSFIRE 5’6” UL $30.00

Anyone have experience with any of these or know the good and bad about any of them? It’s a little overwhelming.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

570 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,017
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.