Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by WAM
MAC,

I thought that you posted a while back that you were done with the Colorado draw shenanigans?

Just curious, no slam.

WAM

Not quite, what I said was I was sick and tired of the CO DOW and what they do in regards to mandating a qualifying license to apply. With 24 points for elk and 18 for deer I still play for those if I have a qualifying license, but I refuse to buy a small game license just to put in for a draw. This year I had a spring turkey tag which was a qualifying license. I refuse to buy a throw away license just to apply for another license, that is what I am done with. I expect to draw the pronghorn tag which will be the last time I apply for one in CO. Once I draw the elk tag and the deer tag I want my days of hunting CO will be over.

How many Western states DON'T require a license to buy points these days?

GB1

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by WAM
MAC,

I thought that you posted a while back that you were done with the Colorado draw shenanigans?

Just curious, no slam.

WAM

Not quite, what I said was I was sick and tired of the CO DOW and what they do in regards to mandating a qualifying license to apply. With 24 points for elk and 18 for deer I still play for those if I have a qualifying license, but I refuse to buy a small game license just to put in for a draw. This year I had a spring turkey tag which was a qualifying license. I refuse to buy a throw away license just to apply for another license, that is what I am done with. I expect to draw the pronghorn tag which will be the last time I apply for one in CO. Once I draw the elk tag and the deer tag I want my days of hunting CO will be over.

How many Western states DON'T require a license to buy points these days?

Probably none but I don't apply in any of them so I can't answer that. I was a CO resident for 54 years before work took me to TX. Used to be in CO that you could apply for the tags and just pay a small fee ($3 or so) per application. It was just 3 or 4 years ago that CO began forcing people to buy a license just to apply. If they would let me buy a fishing license as a qualifying license I'd be good with it because I can use that. But I have no use for a small game license since I am not driving from TX to CO to shoot a rabbit or a pheasant when I can get them here. But I do go still go trout fishing. CO does not consider a fishing license to be a qualifying license even though it costs as much as a small game license. This year I had a spring turkey license so I went ahead and put in for the draw.

I think it is wrong to force someone to buy a license they will not use just to be eligible to apply for a license they want. I consider that to be the equivalent of forcing me to buy a hotdog before I can place an order for the steak I really want. It is pretty much extortion and I don't play that game.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
They used to make you send the entire tag cost in to apply and you got a refund if you didn’t draw.

Then the first year they did away with that it was just a $7 application fee.

The following year they started making you buy a qualifying license.

I don’t like the way CPW does things either. But I wish they’d go back t requiring all the money up front to hopefully cut down on applications.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheKid
They used to make you send the entire tag cost in to apply and you got a refund if you didn’t draw.

They kept $3 for the application but you either got the tag or a refund.

Then the first year they did away with that it was just a $7 application fee.

Yep and I had no issue with that

The following year they started making you buy a qualifying license.

Which is total BS.

I don’t like the way CPW does things either. But I wish they’d go back t requiring all the money up front to hopefully cut down on applications.

Agreed, you have to pay for the tag anyway if you draw so may as well put it up front so you have skin in the game

The CO DOW went to hell when they combined it with the Parks Dept. Parks Dept has always been a money pit and the DOW was always self-supporting and used no tax $$$. As soon as they merged the two the DOW $$$ was funneled off to the parks and then they began raising fees. When I was a CO resident I went to a game dept public meeting and asked why hunters were required to buy a habitat stamp but people using the parks were not. After all, the parks are habitat right? They declined to answer my question.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MAC
The CO DOW went to hell when they combined it with the Parks Dept. Parks Dept has always been a money pit and the DOW was always self-supporting and used no tax $$$. As soon as they merged the two the DOW $$$ was funneled off to the parks and then they began raising fees. When I was a CO resident I went to a game dept public meeting and asked why hunters were required to buy a habitat stamp but people using the parks were not. After all, the parks are habitat right? They declined to answer my question.

State parks have their own fee system, you need to purchase a parks pass to enter so users do pay for the privilege. But on state wildlife areas and state trust lands, anyone entering has to have a hunting or fishing license, since 2020:

https://www.kktv.com/content/news/Y...Wildlife-Area-in-Colorado-571594271.html

And the reason most states require applicants to buy a license has to do with how the federal Pittman-Robertson funds are distributed. The more licenses purchased in a state, the more funds they get. I think CO was one of the last western states to do that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
How long does it take to complete the draw? I've been waiting on word about our MD tags and still nothing.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Logged in and checked this am. Shows I drew my deer tag in a really sub par crappy unit with mostly forkies. If you log in to your account and check awarded tags you should see.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mine just says accepted. Maybe they haven’t posted the nonresident deer yet?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Under that “accepted” mine shows my drawn tag. Your credit card should also be pending a charge by now.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It’s updated now. No joy for me

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Unit 41 deer drawn.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Elk, then antelope are being drawn today.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Are just the resident deer being drawn or NR to?
I cant find nothing on my account.
Never mind NO LUCK!!

Last edited by sherm_61; 06/02/22.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Poverty tag here, but this day in age I'll take it.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see nothing on my elk Draw. "Entered" ......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My preference points for deer just went to 19. My sights are set on a unit 2 buck tag. Some day it will come in.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bwinters
I see nothing on my elk Draw. "Entered" ......

I think elk results are due tomorrow.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got pronghorn results (applied for point) this afternoon.

as of yet, nothing on elk draw.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I finally burned my hoard of points on an antelope tag in Unit 11.

Last edited by PrimeBeef; 06/02/22.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MAC
My preference points for deer just went to 19. My sights are set on a unit 2 buck tag. Some day it will come in.

You’re a few points behind for a rifle tag. Point creep in Colorado has been getting out of control lately.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.