Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
aint it a hoot?
Jerry has probably shot 10 times as many rounds, different weapons, matches,tin cans and grasshoppers than anyone on the site and there are people here thinkin' they iz smarter?

The dumbfuckery never quits at this site.

.... like tears in the rain
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
aint it a hoot?
Jerry has probably shot 10 times as many rounds, different weapons, matches,tin cans and grasshoppers than anyone on the site and there are people here thinkin' they iz smarter?

Last time I talked to Jerry, he asked me "Have you seen Shraps reloading room???!!!???"

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
aint it a hoot?

Your analysis is corrupt as well. Jerry picked something for his discipline and nothing more. If shotguns were so versatile, the United States Armed forces would be arming themselves with shotguns instead of M4’s.

The ability to shoot, hunt, defend or survive will always be best suited to a centerfire rifle.

Jerry is indisputable as a competitor in a very narrow shooting discipline, no one will probably ever eclipse what he has done on a shooting course, but the armed forces have shot millions more than Jerry and there is more than one reason for a center fire rifle…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in the days when I was getting started hunting I killed everything I hunted with my Remington 1100 12 gauge. I had a raised rib barrel with a rem choke system. Hogs, deer, turkey, quail , doves, woodcock, snipe , squirrels , ducks, bobcats and rabbits.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I reject the notion of only one gun and will not entertain the thought of such a stupid choice.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Back in the days when I was getting started hunting I killed everything I hunted with my Remington 1100 12 gauge. I had a raised rib barrel with a rem choke system. Hogs, deer, turkey, quail , doves, woodcock, snipe , squirrels , ducks, bobcats and rabbits.

I did the same with a Mossberg 500 in 12 gauge. A shotgun for the easy win IMHO.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123

I’d agree. Although you had the fancy model with a ribbed barrel, mine was plain.
Jerry makes sense to me, for staying alive in life a shotgun will take about anything on the wing.

I can’t think of any big game in North America that haven’t been taken by archers so a shotgun slug at those ranges is every bit as lethal and effective.

Works for me if I had to choose one.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
thanks for posting.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i agree with Jerry Miculek i have always been a revolver man in a 357 Magnum ,i do own a few Remington 870`s which i do feel is a very good pump shotgun and was used in Viet Nam also. i have killed my my share of deer and elk with a bow and arrow some with a recurve bow , so a shotgun would work just fine for me too. a good hunter could do well with a 12 gauge shotgun always . a skilled bowhunter with a 12 gauge would be deadly on big game , youth that grew up as a bowhunter hunting whitetail deer have a huge advantage so these youths as they got older and using a shotgun with slugs would have no problem with a 12 gauge shotgun killing any animal. the Indians in Canada shoot alot of moose with a 12 gauge shotgun too i know i stayed in their camps . thanks for posting the video was great ! Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 06/03/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Disappointing, how any real shooter could settle for a shotgun for the rest of his life, only indicates a lack of dimension…

Have to agree.

Look at explorers back in the day who had to pick one gun because there was no room and keeping the kit as light as possible was paramount because either they or dogs/pack animals were carrying the load. Pretty much centerfire rifles across the board.

And to add, shot shells are about the most inefficient means of collecting meat, ie. ounce of protein per ounce of shell.

LOL. There were no “Centerfire” rifles when the Trappers and Explorers hit America.
Only Flintlocks. Some were rifled, some were not.
They could load them with either birdshot or a round ball if they chose.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Yeah, Jerry is good people.

Jerry and his wife Kay were some of my customers back when I was in the Wholesale Firearms Industry.
Both are good folks.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Obviously there are few people that understand the value of a long arm. All the shotgun support is still lacking real world use of a firearm. If you live in a city and are scared of your neighbors, a shotgun would be a good choice.

Out if an urban setting and where you might want, not only need serious capabilities, the centerfire rifle will still suit your needs to a much greater extent.

Arrows, knives and shotguns are only of any value in close quarters. Remember, Jerry is a competitor in targets and little real world shooting. If you compare how he shoots vs what the majority of shooting really is, you will see just how limiting a shotgun is.

Forget the celebrity of a competitive shooter, look at what you have done and what most everyone on this site does and discusses and you will see how little a shotgun is used.

It isn’t about popularity or competition when it comes to that one gun choice, it is about how well a particular firearm will cover multiple shooting practices, and the centerfire rifle wins hands down…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I've only shot about 2% of my deer at over 100 yards and 0% over 150. I would not starve if all I had was a shotgun.

Politics is War by Other Means
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Lately I've been wishing I could get down to one gun....damn..... I've got guns I haven't fired in 20 years, but you think I can let them go? It's a sickness.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Disappointing, how any real shooter could settle for a shotgun for the rest of his life, only indicates a lack of dimension…

Have to agree.

Look at explorers back in the day who had to pick one gun because there was no room and keeping the kit as light as possible was paramount because either they or dogs/pack animals were carrying the load. Pretty much centerfire rifles across the board.

And to add, shot shells are about the most inefficient means of collecting meat, ie. ounce of protein per ounce of shell.

LOL. There were no “Centerfire” rifles when the Trappers and Explorers hit America.
Only Flintlocks. Some were rifled, some were not.
They could load them with either birdshot or a round ball if they chose.

"Trappers and Explorers" aren't relegated to the 18th century. If those "explorers" you mentioned had a choice they would've been all over a 98 Mauser in 7x57/8x57 or 30.06, stuffing the old blunderbuss above the fire place for posterity.

I'm talking about people like Charles Sheldon, Vilhjamur Stefansson, the Boers and all the others of that era and to the present. They could have settled for scatter guns since they had the choice at the time but bolt actions in centerfire cartridges were their go to weapons to feed themselves, their families and protect their property.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I think I've only shot about 2% of my deer at over 100 yards and 0% over 150. I would not starve if all I had was a shotgun.

Who needs a gun for deer, I’ve killed dozens with a truck…

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Gonehuntin: One gun - WTF!
Blasphemy at best.
I refuse to even watch a video that "may" contain such an appalling contention.
THE more guns THE better.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Higginez
aint it a hoot?

Last time I talked to Jerry, he asked me "Have you seen Shraps reloading room???!!!???"

And tikkanut's Lexus? whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Gonehuntin: One gun - WTF!
Blasphemy at best.
I refuse to even watch a video that "may" contain such an appalling contention.
It is a waste of time. I'd never be left with just one gun.

Politics is War by Other Means
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wife's grandfather fed his big family in central Pennsy with a 20 gauge Model 12 and #6. Mostly deer and ground hog. I learned respect for the 22 magnum if it's just about meat mostly.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (44mc, 1eyedmule, 35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 11 invisible), 1,285 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,264
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.