Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
you'll miss the mountains and elk.

Don't do it

Originally Posted by Pharmseller
My wife and I are going to flee the cesspool that is Oregon and we’re thinking about finding a place in Mississippi on the water.

Before I get flamed for being from Oregon, be advised:
I like boobs, a lot
Trannies are sick
I voted for Trump six times
I stand for the nation anthem
Any steak over medium rare is an abomination

We don’t need much, but a private dock with easy ocean access and a good view is a must.

Any advice? Time horizon is 3 maybe 4 years.

P

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is this what you're looking for?

4911 E Belle Fontaine Rd, Ocean Springs, MS 39564
Built in 1987.

[Linked Image from d1ja9tyo8nbkbc.cloudfront.net]

Welcome to the Mississippi Gulf Coast! This house and property have it ALL. The house sits on almost 1 acre & consists of 3 beds 3 baths, rear screened in porch, downstairs room for storage or man cave, etc. There is also a secluded area with a shower downstairs. Property has a 30x40 metal workshop with power tall enough for a boat or RV with 16 foot front & rear doors, storage and upper storage. It is on public sewer & water but still has the well & septic. Pier is in process of being repaired. Fish off your own pier and catch lots of fish or dock your boat for a short trip to Horn Island or sunset cruise. The sunrises and sunsets are breathtaking! Don't miss out on your own piece of paradise!

https://www.rockethomes.com/homes/4911-e-belle-fontaine-rd-ocean-springs-ms-39564

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka
you'll miss the mountains and elk.

Don't do it

My wife and I are going to flee the cesspool that is Oregon and we’re thinking about finding a place in Mississippi on the water.

Before I get flamed for being from Oregon, be advised:
I like boobs, a lot
Trannies are sick
I voted for Trump six times
I stand for the nation anthem
Any steak over medium rare is an abomination

We don’t need much, but a private dock with easy ocean access and a good view is a must.

Any advice? Time horizon is 3 maybe 4 years.

P

I’m headed To the South in about 6 weeks. I already miss the mountains.

Need to work out a rental property in the mountains and a home near the coast. Or vice versa. Split time!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wifeo and I thought Ocean Springs was really nice. We visited our daughter stationed at Keesler AFB a few years ago and explored the area. That's where I'd start.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's another dandy in Ocean Springs, 2800sf
Built in 1978

9833 Pointe Aux Chenes Rd,
Ocean Springs, MS, 39564

This is a beautiful secluded property on a peninsula in desirable Ocean Springs with a Gulf view. At an elevation of over 25ft this home has not flooded. The property has an incredible history going back to the 1800's. Surrounded by gorgeous oak trees and camellias. The house was remodeled three years ago and has a very coastal style and is like being on vacation. New kitchen cabinets and countertops were installed, large walk in pantry, the master bathroom was redone featuring hand painted tiles by Chris Stebly, grandson of Walter Anderson in the walk in shower. There is a large walk in closet in the master bedroom off of the bathroom. Electrical, water heater and the septic tank were also replaced. The brick floors in the living room and around the fireplace came from the old Gulfport Courthouse. The barn wood in the office/game room was salvaged from the old Deer Ranch which was a popular tourist attraction in Gulfport. There is a screened in in-ground pool. Perfect for entertaining!!! You really have to see it to appreciate how amazing this home is.

https://www.rockethomes.com/homes/9833-pointe-aux-chenes-rd-ocean-springs-ms-39564

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ll take it.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ll take it.

I survive off bird dog fees

These places go in a flash.
The first one has been listed about a week, the second one with the pool has been posted for 2 days.

Have cash in hand and be quick.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I lived in Ocean Springs in the early 90's. Worked at Ingalls for several years.
In '91 I could have bought a 3/2 on the water looking out over the barrier islands for $145K. I thought it was all the money in the world back then. Of course I would have rebuilt it at least twice by now.

More affordable the further west you go past Gulfport.

Gautier is just on the other side of Ocean Springs - probably affordable because Pascagoula drags it down.

Personally, I have no desire to ever go back.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We went to camp Shelby back in 2019 for Army trying. From what I saw Mississippi is a nice state. At the end of our training we had to take all our vehicles to fort Polk Louisiana. So we saw Mississippi from Hattiesburg clear to the Mississippi river. Folks sitting outside their homes as military convoys driving by waiving at us saluting us. Only two problems snakes and humidity woo lord the humidity. But come October it was super nice..

Last edited by 79S; 06/02/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Prices drop like a rock a wee bit further east into Alabama.
Lots more bang for your buck.
8020 Coden Belt Rd S,
Coden, AL, 36523

Exceptional Water Front home on Portersville Bay! 131 foot of water frontage on over an acre and a half! Enjoy the sunrises and sunsets from the screened front porch that extends all the way across the front of the house. Every inch of this property is thoughtfully planned, from the downstairs bathroom to the built-in coffee pot, custom cabinets, and Jenn-Air range in the kitchen. Storm grade sliding doors installed by Blue Water Lumber, have electric blinds that reveal the stunning bay views with the click of a button. There is also an elevator at the back entrance for hauling groceries and your beach gear. and an outdoor shower. The pier has a boat lift and has electricity and water. Fish, kayak, crab, or sip a cocktail while taking in the spectacular bay views. This property is truly a little slice of heaven. Call your favorite realtor for a showing! All measurements are the responsibility of the buyer to verify.

https://www.rockethomes.com/homes/8020-coden-belt-rd-s-coden-al-36523

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe buy an RV lot in a nice park real close to what you want and another place on cheap higher ground to retreat to?

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Maybe buy an RV lot in a nice park real close to what you want and another place on cheap higher ground to retreat to?

I live on the coast but have high and dry rentals inland.

Lived in one of my rentals for about 2 months after hurricane Hermine in September of 2016 caused a tidal surge that got the home I was living in wet.

It was convenient.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Listen to Paul. Might wanna rethink things and if you don’t care for some of the people you are escaping from you might not like some of the folk around there. I’d move north of I-20 if I were considering Mississippi though I have a house in Brandon, I think further north would be better.

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I am a native Mississippian and still consider the MS Coast home. First, nobody that lives on the MS Coast lives on the Gulf. The Gulf sits outside of barrier islands that sit roughly 10 miles across the Mississippi Sound from the inhabited coast. The barrier islands are part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore. They are uninhabited and not accessible by land.

If you are considering living on tidal waters, you need to know that it is the most hurricane surge prone place in the country. Water really piles up during storms. While the housing is MUCH more affordable than it is in Oregon, you have to factor in flood and wind and hail insurance coverage. Do you want to live water view or waterfront? Much of the waterfront is on back bays and canals that don't offer the water view you prefer. The houses on the beach are across the road from the beach and don't offer dockage. If you want to be able to hop in a boat from your backyard, it's the backwaters and canals.

I can give you a good scouting report on all of the coastal towns. They all have their own vibe. I like the MS coast and was going to retire there. The past few hurricane seasons changed my mind. I don't want to be 75-80 years old dealing with that crap.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

A good friend who lives in Michigan has a beautiful place on Lake Michigan.

He and his wife have a 36’ 5th wheel Montana trailer that they leave year round in Pass Christian. Their arrangement there is by having a 99 year lease. It’s nice.

Mid October Jerry and Sandy head on down to the Mississippi Gulf Coast and go back to Michigan in late April.

It’s a good arrangement for them and Jerry uses the VA Hospital for needs when they’re down for the winter.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Lots to consider!

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally a native of Louisiana and now live in Mississippi - NOT on the coast.

Paul Barnard had the right of it on what he described. I had a lot of folks I worked with who had camps (read really nice homes) destroyed due to hurricanes.
Storm surge is usually the problem. I’ve lived in the above two states all of my life and there’s no way I’d have my primary residence along the coast of either of these two states. Simply too much damage for too many years in rapid succession. If you do decide to make that move go in eyes wide open on what may happen. Retirement years are probably not the best time to be dealing with major storm damage…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots to consider!

I see what you did there cool

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had homes along the coast in Florida pretty much all my life.

I've had one I was living in and one I used as a rental get wet.
They were just wet, not lost. That's 60 years of coastal living.

Hurricanes you know ahead of time are coming, it's easy to prepare and secure precious items.
Especially since you do it time and time again, it's actually rather easy, you just go into hurricane mode and run through the paces.

The odds of a direct hit are rather slim, I have much more concern of loosing one of my Montana properties to forest fire.

I'd rather have a home to dry out than have one burned to the ground.

It's probably never a good idea to put all your eggs in on basket though.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
While you’re checking, check the Orange Beach AL area as well as Pensacola/Navarre. Especially if you want real beach. I lived in Alabama the first 49 years of life and traveled the AL/FL coast a lot. Not that I don’t like MS, it’s a fine state. But further east is a different shore for shore.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by shootem
While you’re checking, check the Orange Beach AL area as well as Pensacola/Navarre. Especially if you want real beach. I lived in Alabama the first 49 years of life and traveled the AL/FL coast a lot. Not that I don’t like MS, it’s a fine state. But further east is a different shore for shore.

The Gulf Stream makes its turn at about Dolphin Island and back easterly. Typically with clearer blue waters.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

443 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,569
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.