Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
rusty75 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Looking to buy myself a graduation present rifle for an upcoming mule deer elk/combo hunt. Want a CRF model 70, vintage does not matter. Not looking for a collector, just a tool to hunt with. Thinking 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. Anyone have one they are thinking of selling?

BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
See if you can find a ss all weather in 270 win and enjoy it all the time...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I may be getting a 7mm mag in an upcoming trade.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good luck rusty. Now I really wished I would have bought the classic blued in walnut stock for $600 a few months back. Scotty said I fd up, I guess I could have sold it to him or someone else looking for a beater.... I just remembered I know where there is a 7mm rem mag classic stainless in decent condition. It has the tupperware stock, but the downfall is it has the boss on it. That could be cut off and you'd be at just about the right length for a useable 7mm rem mag anyways.. I'm assuming your price range is not at that level though? Roughly $950... I may check that rifle out again and possibly buy it. Still on the fence though, as I do not like the 7mm rem mag.. You didn't say how much you are willing to spend. The stainless models are going for quite a bit more than the blued models..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good luck in your search. Seems like normal gun stores that have some used racks are your best chances. I wouldn’t pass up anything between a 270 to a 338 Win. If you can load ammo all of them will work excellent.

Semper Fi
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You would be hard pressed to do better than this ‘06; great seller too.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...a-ruger-10-22-model70-tuppe#Post17249780

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Buy the stainless and don't look back! Good for you that my funds are short right now!

R
rusty75 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Looking in the $600-$800 range

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Your best bet is to get out and do some searching. I know most guys hate doing that, but that is where you find the deals.. When I go and pick up my new Tikka, I'll see if the shop still has the stainless classic 7mm rem mag. The classic stainless CRS had for sale here was a great deal. That rifle looked damn clean. Those 5 digit stainless/walnut rifles are hard to find. Even chambered in 30-06, which was the most common. That's probably the one I would have bought, had I been in the OP's shoes.. but then again, not really a "shooter". There are some beaters around too that have been used and abused that I've seen in the $600 price range.. But again, you have to be out there looking for them..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rusty, this is the best I can do for you buddy:

Model 70 classic sporter 338wm in tupperware stock

You are likely not going to find a better deal on a nice classic CRF model 70 338wm. That would also be my first choice when looking for an elk rifle. Ask Scotty how well the 338 works on elk. I also would take the 338 over the 300wm or 7mm rem mag all day long and twice on sunday. You buy that rifle and if you handload, I'll send you a bag of 250gr Nosler partitions to load up..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sent you a PM with one to keep an eye on.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rusty, did you buy one yet? The ones I posted were pretty dang good deals. I see one of them sold. Its going to be tough to find a classic 338wm for $800 or less than a grand and scoped with a $300 Leupold. That means you are paying $700 for the rifle. If you have never had a 338 or are thinking the 300 is better, you may want to re think that bs.. I should take my 338wm out today and do some shooting at 3-500 yards. Might make your head spin...

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Go to the pawnshops in your area. You should be able to find one crf new haven for about 6 bills with a scope of some kind.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Go to the pawnshops in your area. You should be able to find one crf new haven for about 6 bills with a scope of some kind.

If you can, you better pick them up. They are very few and far between at that price within a 600 mile radius from me. Every locale is different though. Now, if you would have said push feed model 70's I'd be more agreeable. But even those are getting harder to find for a great deal like that. However, I Just picked up another XTR. They threw in $200 worth of ammo, a nice hard case (worth $100) and also new in the box Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases. The rifle also came with a scope. When I asked her how negotiable she was on the price, she lowered it by $100 and then told me all the other stuff came with it as well. That was a "no brainer"...

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

If you can, you better pick them up. They are very few and far between at that price within a 600 mile radius from me. Every locale is different though. Now, if you would have said push feed model 70's I'd be more agreeable. But even those are getting harder to find for a great deal like that. However, I Just picked up another XTR. They threw in $200 worth of ammo, a nice hard case (worth $100) and also new in the box Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases. The rifle also came with a scope. When I asked her how negotiable she was on the price, she lowered it by $100 and then told me all the other stuff came with it as well. That was a "no brainer"...

What caliber? And you paid what?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I made it a mission to go out and prove you wrong. Just picked up a 5 digit classic with scope for $500. Put it on the same 4473, since I was picking up my other rifle today at that shop. No wasted gas or time that way. laugh whistle

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

This one had a Burris from Colorado fixed power 3X scope that I wanted for my Brno model 21H in 7X57 all in for 6 bills.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Sometimes you can get lucky. This is a Pre-64 Standard 270 win with a Leupold VXiii 2X8 scope that I picked up for 650.00.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I made it a mission to go out and prove you wrong. Just picked up a 5 digit classic with scope for $500. Put it on the same 4473, since I was picking up my other rifle today at that shop. No wasted gas or time that way. laugh whistle

You suck whistle

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
733 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,764
Posts18,401,436
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.