Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve used 125 gr. Rocky Mountains for over 40 years. I’ve never had a problem with them. I must have a hundred of them. What do you use?

Last edited by hanco; 06/03/22.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used NAP Thunderhead 125's and Satellite Titan 165's for about the same amount of time.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Magnus stingers and slicktrick viper trick

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I’ve shot quite a few different heads over the years. NAP thunderheads, muzzy, slick tricks, kuduPoint, ironwills. Longest run was with the slick tricks, when the company was sold I found that quality slipped. Their blades weren’t as sharp and they didn’t spin as true. I shot the ironwills last season, they are a high quality head and have no complaints other than the cost. They are expensive. This drove me to start searching for a new broadhead again. A friend gave me a couple of SEVR mechanicals to try. I have always been anti mechanical broadhead, even though I have almost no experience with them other than hunting turkeys with old rocket tomhawks. The SEVRs flat out shoot great. They have minimal wind drift. The blades lock for practice. I have been able to practice with them for the last couple of months with minimal target damage compared to a fixed blade. They are machined of titanium and spin like a dream. I am going to hunt with them this fall. If things go as planned I will have a report on how they do on Antelope, Elk, and Deer.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Steel Force

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Cutthroat single bevel.
Old Magnus Snuffers
G5 Strikers out of my wheeled stuff

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Ace standard 125 grain or Zwickey Eskimos also 125 grain on Douglas Fir arrows

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Still using the old 125 gr 3 blade Muzzys

I’ve lost count on how many hogs I have killed with them here at the Ranch.

Once had 3 sows lined up at my ground blind by the feeder. Closest one was 10 yards away. All were probably 80 to 100 lbs. Aimed for the lungs on the closest pig.
The arrow zipped right through the first 2 pigs, and stuck in the 3rd pig, with the broadhead sticking out about 4” on the far side of the furthest pig.

The first 2 ran about 50 yards and died. The 3rd one flopped over on its side and broke off the back half of my Carbon arrow. She kicked a few times and died.
The Muzzy Broadhead was still usable with some minor sharpening.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/03/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Once had 3 sows lined up at my ground blind by the feeder. Closest one was 10 yards away. All were probably 80 to 100 lbs. Aimed for the lungs on the closest pig.
The arrow zipped right through the first 2 pigs, and stuck in the 3rd pig, with the broadhead sticking out about 4” on the far side of the furthest pig.

The first 2 ran about 50 yards and died. The 3rd one flopped over on its side and broke off the back half of my Carbon arrow. She kicked a few times and died.

Wow. Hit two like that, never three

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Snuffers, Bodkins, MA3s and some that I have made myself.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thunderhead 125s when I still shot wheels. Since going trad 20+ years ago it's be almost exclusively old Rathaar Snuffers and old Bear Greenies with the bleeder blades.

Last edited by bbassi; 06/03/22.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cutthroat two blade and VPA three blade.

200 and 250gr weights.

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
100 gr Slick Trick

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I use Bear greenies and shoot vintage Bear recurves. I don't shoot wood arrows though, I shoot aluminum.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
100 grain Exodus head flies like a little bullet at 335 fps from Triax bow, real hide/bone drill bit, really tough penetrator, 160 grain ACE head from Montana Whip long bow flys great at 180 fps.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Pearson Deadhead

Attached Images
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
NAP Killzones

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Rage No Collar

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Steel Force

+1

Premium 100 4-blade

Fly like darts as fast as I have ever run them. Had one setup with an old hatchet-cammed, split limb Browning doing 308 fps and the Steelforce were laser accurate. Haven't chrono'ed my current hunting setup. But it's 270-ish (?) and have had amazing results.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where I bow hunt the ground is 100% big ass rocks under the leaves. I seldom find the arrow and the tips are always horseshoe shaped at best.
I do buy quality arrows because they fly accurately. I do use Schwackers, Slick Tricks, Thunder Heads etc.

Send it behind the leg and get the grill hot. Don’t take much for deer. For elk I use Muzzy 100gr or Montecs.

For hogs and doe these Allen heads kill 100% every time with a good blood trail.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Where I bow hunt the ground is 100% big ass rocks under the leaves. I seldom find the arrow and the tips are always horseshoe shaped at best.
I do buy quality arrows because they fly accurately. I do use Schwackers, Slick Tricks, Thunder Heads etc.

Send it behind the leg and get the grill hot. Don’t take much for deer. For elk I use Muzzy 100gr or Montecs.

For hogs and doe these Allen heads kill 100% every time with a good blood trail.

Ya know........... I've looked at those every time I've walked past them in Walmart for the last 20 years and wondered what they'd fly like.

It sure does start to make expensive venison when you screw a $15 head on a $20 arrow and whoop it through a deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s hard to argue when they leave an exit hole exactly like a Nosler Partition. Arrow was an Easton 6.5 Carbon. She was about 26-28 yards. Zipped thru her like a lazer. She mule kicked and made a 30 yard dash.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Started using the old 125 grain 3 blade Muzzys about 10 years ago, and haven’t trailed a deer more than 80 yards since. Love em.

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've got some Montec I've had a while but never hunted yet. Believe I'll go with them, no doubt a CoC head is all around best! I've had good success with NAP Killzones, and I bought 2 packs of the Walmart $10 Allen Heads other day.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've used 100grn Slicktricks ever since Rocky Mountain discontinued their 75grn Premier. STOS broadheads for the trade stuff. They're discontinued too.
Bought the kids a crossbow and did a little research. Went with SEVR mechanical broadheads. Retailers don't sell them because they can only be purchased from the manufacturer. They haven't shot anything with one yet, so I'm not pimping them, but I think they're worth looking into.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I started out with 3 blade wasp's many years ago. went to monotec for a while, then muzzys. Tried NAP thunderheads and slick tricks. They all work good if you do your part and put them in the right spot. WT Deer are not hard to kill. But The 3 blade mechanical Grim reaper has produced the best blood trails I have seen. Been using them for the last 6 or 7 years.

Entry
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Exit
[Linked Image]

Attached Images
grim reaper exit.jpg (9.21 KB, 543 downloads)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot Muzzy 4 Blade 90gr heads for years. Last couple seasons I have changed to Wack'em 100gr. Love the way the Wack'ems fly. 2 elk and 1 antelope with them so far, no issues and plan to keep using them.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I've been using Thunderhead 100's for about 35yrs and have never had any reason to change. I have such an inventory built up now I'd be crazy to use anything else.

Shot a few Razorbaks back in the day they were also good heads.i actually found several in a shoe box recently, really brings back memories.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trying out the Sevr Titanium 1.5 on my sheep hunt in August. Hope I get to try one out anyway. Will also use on a KS whitetail if given a chance. Flying very good for me.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
All I've used is mechanicals. Started with Rocket steelhead 125's back in the 90's and had no problems killing deer. Always a pass through and quick kills. Last season took two with NAP 3 blade shockwaves. They were the cheapest heads on the shelf and seemed to work just as well as the old Rockets. First deer I shot only went 25 yards pouring blood in buckets from a heart shot. The second went about 75 after a quartering double lung.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Since I adopted the x-bow I’ve used the Muzzy Trocar and it’s amazing. Four. mature Whitetail Bucks in 5 years and a Doe at 70 lasered yards last November. All pass through and dead in 60 yards.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Started w Wasp 3 blade 125gr back in '84.
Ran NAP and Magnus of various over next 30 years.
Been Magnus and G5 the last few.
Now trying RMS Cutthroats ( and G5 Strikers )

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rage in the cage.

But I don’t think it hardly matters much. Shot placement and penetration trump.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
QAD Exodus. Really like how well it flies. Very durable and has been deadly

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by higher_figure

My son and I both shoot the QAD Exodus and love the things. They are easy to tune for, fly like a bullet, penetrate and kill extremely well. We have about three dozen kills and have no complaints with the Exodus.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Windknot
I've got some Montec I've had a while but never hunted yet. Believe I'll go with them, no doubt a CoC head is all around best!

Just anecdotal advice.......... But I had a Montec fail to penetrate on a (hard) quartering away shot on a GOOD whitetail at about 15 yards one time. Placed the shot about one rib from the back. Shoulda exited the far armpit. Instead........the arrow ran under the hide but outside the ribcage and the head lodged in the near armpit. It's a shot I've made several times with various other heads............Steelforce.........the old Razorbak 5........... Rocky Mt............

I quit shooting the Montecs right then and there.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Magnus black hornet

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Yoder409
I've got some Montec I've had a while but never hunted yet. Believe I'll go with them, no doubt a CoC head is all around best!

Just anecdotal advice.......... But I had a Montec fail to penetrate on a (hard) quartering away shot on a GOOD whitetail at about 15 yards one time. Placed the shot about one rib from the back. Shoulda exited the far armpit. Instead........the arrow ran under the hide but outside the ribcage and the head lodged in the near armpit. It's a shot I've made several times with various other heads............Steelforce.........the old Razorbak 5........... Rocky Mt............

Funny you should say that. One of the ranches I elk hunt on has a mantle over one of their fireplaces that is dedicated to displaying failed broadheads found in elk that are skinned and quartered @ hq…usually during rifle hunts. Last time I checked them out there were 30-40 displayed….just an estimate, as I didn’t count. Going down the line I was mentally registering the brand names. “Montec, Montec, Rocky Mtn, Montec, Montec, Montec, Rage, Montec….geez, what’s going on? Montec, Rage, Muzzy Wasp, Wasp, Montec, Montec…”

Did not see any Slick Tricks nor did I see any Exodus. Hardly scientific analysis I know, but seeing all the caved in Montec’s peaked my interest. Caved in like they had struck a cast iron anvil.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
125 grain muzzy three blade, and 125 grain magnus four blade

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve used these fixed heads; muzzy 3 blade 4 blade and mx3, thunderhead, Rocky Mountain, Allen, Magnus buzz cut, Serazor and stingers.

Expandable; shockwaves, rage 2 and 3 blade, grim reaper in every size 3 blade I think they make, spitfire 2 and 3 blade, and schwacker.

This is what I can remember off the top of my head.

Now I use grim reaper 1 3/16 3 blade (their original) is my favorite expandable and fixed I like the Magnus stinger or buzzcut.

All worked on whitetails if i hit them in the right spot, and you’ll always have problems if you don’t. When o go elk hunting it’ll be with the Magnus

Wife started with a crossbow and the crossbow rage has done well

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I’ve had two Montecs snap off in the shaft, from “stump” shooting over the years - when I got back into bow hunting.

Granted - it’s not what they were designed to do, but I generally picked a rotten log or soft stump, and could get the arrow out without much effort.

I personally couldn’t get them to fly right again if I “dinged” the blade edge practicing. Between that and not really liking the effort to keep an edge on one - I dropped them for Rage in the East, and Slick Tricks in the West.

Hunting partner has killed two elk with Montecs - so they work, but IMWV.

But - confessions of a gear junkie - I’m trying the Sevrs this year as well.

Last edited by AH64guy; 07/03/22.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MOGC

My son and I both shoot the QAD Exodus and love the things. They are easy to tune for, fly like a bullet, penetrate and kill extremely well. We have about three dozen kills and have no complaints with the Exodus.

Old bow Bud of mine that keeps a hard eye on all things archery told me about them more than 4 years ago, pointed me to a utube video of QAD owner shooting through a lot of heavy game in Africa, plenty good enough for me, it's a damn tough, straight flying, deep penetrating head.

Trump Won!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There were a lot of Montec made in china knockoffs sold a few years back, They crumpled almost instantly on game. The original packaging and the knockoff packaging was hard to differentiate.

I know of only one guy that shoots them exclusively out of a Ravin R20 and has not had an issue , and he kills more deer and hogs in one year then most hunters do in a few.

But - confessions of a gear junkie - I’m trying the Sevrs this year as well.

Sevr's fly great out of my Xbow , now if I only could get a deer to run into them. 125 grain 2.0

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I was introduced to TH 125's when I first started, G5 Montecs, Muzzy, Wasps, have all done the job for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500

Old bow Bud of mine that keeps a hard eye on all things archery told me about them more than 4 years ago, pointed me to a utube video of QAD owner shooting through a lot of heavy game in Africa, plenty good enough for me, it's a damn tough, straight flying, deep penetrating head.

One other thing I have noticed about the Exodus is that they are quiet in flight. Some broadheads make a lot of noise going downrange. Not the Exodus. I have stood behind my house where I am completely protected yet can hear a broadhead as my son shot past the house to a target down range. The way my yard lays out he can be shooting at 30, 40, 50 yards to a target and I can stand protected behind the corner of the house 20 yards from the target. In that way I can listen for the arrow coming from 10-30 yards away. It's shocking how loud some broadheads are.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Wenzle Woodsman or Ace Standard in modern heads but I shoot a bunch of older heads also. I shot Rocky Mountains for years then switched to the one piece heads. I shoot an old Martin recurved limbed compound and an assortment of long bows. Still have my all wood round wheel Browning bows but I no longer hunt them.

Last edited by EddieSouthgate; 07/04/22.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Slick Tricks.

Have used WASP and Muzzy in the past - not bad but I won the ST's and just never went back

Me

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Muzzy Trocar 100gr has been my go to, but they always seem to get bent when i shoot something. Switched this year to the G5 Stricker v2 so i can replace the blades a little easier if they get bent.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Funny you should say that. One of the ranches I elk hunt on has a mantle over one of their fireplaces that is dedicated to displaying failed broadheads found in elk that are skinned and quartered @ hq…usually during rifle hunts. Last time I checked them out there were 30-40 displayed….just an estimate, as I didn’t count. Going down the line I was mentally registering the brand names. “Montec, Montec, Rocky Mtn, Montec, Montec, Montec, Rage, Montec….geez, what’s going on? Montec, Rage, Muzzy Wasp, Wasp, Montec, Montec…”

Did not see any Slick Tricks nor did I see any Exodus. Hardly scientific analysis I know, but seeing all the caved in Montec’s peaked my interest. Caved in like they had struck a cast iron anvil.

I, obviously, never recovered the head. So I can't guarantee it didn't cave or crumple. But, I am certain they were USA-made heads.

I ran the first one I shot behind the shoulder of a nearly broadside 8-pointer. Worked just as expected. But, even before the failure on the next buck.......... I looked at the way the blades on the Montec form the point and something just didn't sit right with me. Like there was some quality there that wouldn't work well on a hard quartering shot. Lo and behold...............

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

I, obviously, never recovered the head. So I can't guarantee it didn't cave or crumple. But, I am certain they were USA-made heads.

I ran the first one I shot behind the shoulder of a nearly broadside 8-pointer. Worked just as expected. But, even before the failure on the next buck.......... I looked at the way the blades on the Montec form the point and something just didn't sit right with me. Like there was some quality there that wouldn't work well on a hard quartering shot. Lo and behold...............

Unless you’re a sponsored pro, I don’t know but two,three guys that shoot a Montec anymore.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Currently I am using VPA three blade with my recurves, compounds and xbow. They get nice and sharp and stay that way easily.
See no reason to change.

Muzzy 100/125 was a go-to for years. Started out a long time ago with WASP's with super high profile blades. Made BIG holes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Unless you’re a sponsored pro, I don’t know but two,three guys that shoot a Montec anymore.

When they hit the market I loved the idea. And they flew like freakin' field points !!! But there's just something about the design geometry that started to bug me before I had my failure............

Apparently I'm not alone.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

When they hit the market I loved the idea. And they flew like freakin' field points !!! But there's just something about the design geometry that started to bug me before I had my failure............

Apparently I'm not alone.

IMHO - you’re not.

I agree - with a good tuned bow, they followed the field point POI very well.

But, if the blade sharpening changed any of the surfaces, a Montec would start to wander away from the rest of the group. I started numbering arrows to make sure it wasn’t me.

I dinged a number of blades in practice, and that usually meant the head was done, as taking the blade back an edge usually affected the flight as well.

YMMV

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

One other thing I have noticed about the Exodus is that they are quiet in flight. Some broadheads make a lot of noise going downrange. Not the Exodus. I have stood behind my house where I am completely protected yet can hear a broadhead as my son shot past the house to a target down range. The way my yard lays out he can be shooting at 30, 40, 50 yards to a target and I can stand protected behind the corner of the house 20 yards from the target. In that way I can listen for the arrow coming from 10-30 yards away. It's shocking how loud some broadheads are.

It's a damn small world, i put Wife at the corner of the house behind the bricks, had her looking at my broadhead target, told her when she heard me fire would she have time to move, said she didnt hear anything but the arrow striking the target, and this was 40 yards away, good stuff man.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Muzzy 100gr here.

For years I used Zwickey Deltas (later Eskimo) with aluminum-swaged arrows.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Wensel Woodsmans

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used dozens of different brands over the past many decades. I switched to Slick Tricks about 15 (?) years ago and found them so much easier to tune than others that I never tried anything else. I open to trying others; but, testing multiple different brands has become so expensive I just haven't found the need or desire to try others. That is why threads like this can be so helpful.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I’ve used many different broad heads over the last 28 years:

Bear Razorhead
Zwicky Eskimo and Delta both 2 and 4 blade
Wensel Woodsman/Woodsman Elite
Wensel Razorcap (No longer made) 3 blade SS head similar in size to a Rothaar Snuffer
Magnus 4 Blade
Zephyr Sasquatch
Grizzlystik Sliver Flame XL
Grizlystik Maasai Single Bevel

All were screwed onto an arrow that weighed more than five hundred grains, mostly propelled by a 55-65# recurve bow. I used the Silver Flame XL out of my 70# Mathews this Spring, resulted in a dead bird after about three steps.

I had one deer I hit square in the shoulder with a Woodsman. Peeled that needle point straight back got about 6” penetration. Killed the buck but left very little blood. Shot in the evening…We found him a day later but someone else did first and cut his horns off. The last one I shot with a Woodsman thru the. “12 ring” stuck in the ground after going thru and he dropped in sight leaving a blood trail a blind man could follow.

Isaiah 6:8

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SKane
Muzzy 100gr here.

For years I used Zwickey Deltas (later Eskimo) with aluminum-swaged arrows.

still my all time favorite broadhead Zwickeys ! matter fact a purchased a slower x-bow so i could still use Zwickey Broadheads , my last deer i shot with a bow when i still could draw the bow 4 years ago i shot a huge old 8 pt. shot a Zickey Eskimo broadhead in DECEMBER 10 below that day and had just talked to the owner of Zwickey broadheads the same week and now he is gone . but i did learn some history of the Zwickey factory like Fred Bear did at one time also shot Zwickey broadheads before he made his own brand Bear broadhead.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

It's a damn small world, i put Wife at the corner of the house behind the bricks, had her looking at my broadhead target, told her when she heard me fire would she have time to move, said she didnt hear anything but the arrow striking the target, and this was 40 yards away, good stuff man.
We’ve got the same setup at my house out to 70 yards. Our main target is alongside a monster oak tree five yards in front of that target. You can stand , facing the target, shooter to your back, and listen for the arrow. It’s amazing how noisy some broadheads are….easy to hear in time to jump if you needed to. A deer’s senses and reflexes are about eleventy hundred times faster obviously so it’s no wonder how they are able to jump the string.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

We’ve got the same setup at my house out to 70 yards. Our main target is alongside a monster oak tree five yards in front of that target. You can stand , facing the target, shooter to your back, and listen for the arrow. It’s amazing how noisy some broadheads are….easy to hear in time to jump if you needed to. A deer’s senses and reflexes are about eleventy hundred times faster obviously so it’s no wonder how they are able to jump the string.

You bet GD57, sounds like a nice setup, i used to shoot the G5 Striker Magnum, hellacious bloody destructive head, but holy damn it was loud, didnt fly really good for me at extended ranges of 50-60 yards.

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Don't go cheap on broadheads.
From my compound days, I shot Wasp. The latest being Wasp Drones. Steel ferrel.
I also had good luck with Excalibur Boltcutters on a crossbow.
Now I carry the recurve about 95% of the time so I use Shuffers in carbon steel. I never find a stainless head that sharpens as well as carbon.
I shoot a high performance recurve with enough energy that I don't worry about penetration with a 3 blade. For bows with lower performance, hard to beat 2 blade Zwickey

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Started with Bear Razorheads....125 Grain out of an old Jennings wheel bow. Moved to Satellite 3 blade 125 grain out of the Bear Alaskan Cam Bow. With the "New bow", I've been shooting 75 Grain Wasp Jak-Hammers. Been shooting the new bow since 1999. It seems to work.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I Find the talk about the Montec broadheads to be interesting. I’ve never killed anything with the G5 or the Striker. I’ve always used Thunderheads. For the last couple of years, I’ve had my arrows set up with the strikers. I actually shot some G5’s in practice the other day and they shoot exactly like my field points, so I’m thinking about using them.

The thing I find interesting is the talk about them failing, breaking or whatever. Years ago, I shot an arrow in my backyard that missed the target and hit the cinder block wall with the Montec G5. I couldn’t get it out of the wall and even tried chipping some of the cinderblock away. Finally just gave up and unscrewed the arrow and left it there. I figure if it can do what it did to the cinder block wall, I shouldn’t have any problem killing an elk.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

I Find the talk about the Montec broadheads to be interesting. I’ve never killed anything with the G5 or the Striker. I’ve always used Thunderheads. For the last couple of years, I’ve had my arrows set up with the strikers. I actually shot some G5’s in practice the other day and they shoot exactly like my field points, so I’m thinking about using them.

The thing I find interesting is the talk about them failing, breaking or whatever. Years ago, I shot an arrow in my backyard that missed the target and hit the cinder block wall with the Montec G5. I couldn’t get it out of the wall and even tried chipping some of the cinderblock away. Finally just gave up and unscrewed the arrow and left it there. I figure if it can do what it did to the cinder block wall, I shouldn’t have any problem killing an elk.

My particular (and fatal) beef with the Montec was in its failure to penetrate on a hard angle shot. Period.

I killed several deer with the Montec, including a pretty good 8-pointer with ZERO issues. BUT.......those were all textbook broadside or nearly broadside shots. And, I'll totally back the claim that they fly like your field points. They did for me too. But when I watched one fail miserably on a close-range hard quartering shot on a DANG big buck for this area.............that was enough for me. There's a whole bunch of cliches that come to mind here. But #1. is "Fool me once.... shame on you. Fool me twice.....shame on me". And, #2 is "There's lots more fish (broadheads) in the ocean".

Confidence in one's equipment is HUGE in bowhunting. I just got rid of the unknown (untrusted) quantity in my equation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My particular (and fatal) beef with the Montec was in its failure to penetrate on a hard angle shot. Period.

I killed several deer with the Montec, including a pretty good 8-pointer with ZERO issues. BUT.......those were all textbook broadside or nearly broadside shots. And, I'll totally back the claim that they fly like your field points. They did for me too. But when I watched one fail miserably on a close-range hard quartering shot on a DANG big buck for this area.............that was enough for me. There's a whole bunch of cliches that come to mind here. But #1. is "Fool me once.... shame on you. Fool me twice.....shame on me". And, #2 is "There's lots more fish (broadheads) in the ocean".

Confidence in one's equipment is HUGE in bowhunting. I just got rid of the unknown (untrusted) quantity in my equation.

How bad was the angle? Enough for the back of a blade to hit a rib before the tip?

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

How bad was the angle? Enough for the back of a blade to hit a rib before the tip?

No. I don't believe BEFORE. But, I do believe TOO SOON. That was always the thing that made me a little queasy about the Montec from the get-go. The fact that all 3 blades gain purchase instantly upon contact. The Montec has more mass to bury SOONER than any other head I can think of. I believe the point did hit first but was steered outward as the rear portion of the blade "rode" the rib ........sliding the head inside the hide but outside the ribcage.

Please note, when I refer to a "hard angle shot", I'm not referring to a shot that should have been iffy (I'll let iffy shot walk and try again tomorrow). At least not with any other head I've ever used. This particular shot SHOULD have been left liver, left lung, heart and out the far armpit. And WOULD (in my estimation) have been with any other head I ever shot.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I shoot iron will solid broadheads. I wanted a fixed blade to not have to worry about potential for mechanical failure. I chose iron will because of their materials. They fly very similar to field points (and they look cool lol)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
100 Gr Slicks. wink

-Ken

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
It’s about time to get them out

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I use The older style Steel Force Premier,100 gr . The have penetrated well and flew true . I have never had issues getting them to fly right. I have killed deer, including a sika deer hind that weighed maybe 40 lbs ,to a 6x6 bull elk that weigh probably 650-700 with them. Never a Broadhead issue......

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

Thanks, I just saw this. I'll just stay with my NAP Killzone or Spitfires!

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Rage!!

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
G5 Megameats and Annihilator XL's for me. I've had luck with them

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I bought a xbow four years ago. Tried Muzzy 125gr 3-blades because they were ones I’d heard about for years, and I liked the idea of the cutting tip. Six deer later, no complaints. They fly like the field tips, kill well, and are cheap to boot. I’ve only found two bolts out of the six because they sail right on through until they hit the ground.

Couldn’t believe the entrance wound on the first one I killed. Two years ago I made a hasty shot on a buck that clipped the underside of the spine. The blade that made contact was distorted along the edge, but stayed in place and didn’t break, so I have to assume it’s strong enough for deer.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wyoming260
I use The older style Steel Force Premier,100 gr . The have penetrated well and flew true . I have never had issues getting them to fly right. I have killed deer, including a sika deer hind that weighed maybe 40 lbs ,to a 6x6 bull elk that weigh probably 650-700 with them. Never a Broadhead issue......

My experience with the Steelforce 100's, as well. I don't see you OR me ever having a broadhead issue.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ramcat hydroshock are great.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Bear Razorheads. Fred killed more with them that most of us ever will.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I used 100gr 3 blade Muzzys for 25 years. Old reliable and a good broadhead.

When I bought my crossbow about 8 years ago, I switched to Rage 2. They're vicious. I still have some Muzzys kicking around that I'll use if I run out of Rage 2's.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 08/27/22.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my recurve, long bow days always 2 blade Bear and Zwickey. When I shot compound Thunderheads. I'll be hunting with a crossbow this fall and have Excalibur Boltcutters which fly very well. Never a kill, recovery issue with any broadhead kept sharp and put in the heart n lungs.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Huncho
I shoot iron will solid broadheads. I wanted a fixed blade to not have to worry about potential for mechanical failure. I chose iron will because of their materials. They fly very similar to field points (and they look cool lol)

I’ve been an avid bowhunter for 44 years, and have tried quite a few heads. Slick Trick, Exodous, and Magnus Stingers are some of the best for me.
But four years ago, I tried Iron Will. They are expensive, but are scalpel sharp, easy to re sharpen, super durable, and fly very well. They’ve blown through elk, Brown Bear, Aoudad, deer and other animals for me.
I’ll be using them again this fall.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by Huncho

I’ve been an avid bowhunter for 44 years, and have tried quite a few heads. Slick Trick, Exodous, and Magnus Stingers are some of the best for me.
But four years ago, I tried Iron Will. They are expensive, but are scalpel sharp, easy to re sharpen, super durable, and fly very well. They’ve blown through elk, Brown Bear, Aoudad, deer and other animals for me.
I’ll be using them again this fall.

You guys shooting the vented or solid blades? I shot them last year and was impressed with their sharpness. I shot the solid blades and the shot very similar to field points. The more I shot them the more I noticed the wind really affected their point of impact. The wind is usually blowing where I hunt, so I switched to a SEVR mechanical. So far they are crazy accurate and the one antelope I shot this year the results were impressive.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
the best expandable broadhead my son and i have used for elk is a expandable that i have a bunch of but are no longer sold Elmer heads they worked very well on elk for us. i am saving them for hopefully some more elk hunts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just used a Sevr TI 125 grain. They seem to work just fine. Will try some more this fall.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
The SEVR is an updated Elmer. Sent this one through an Antelope at 35 yards, broke the neck, went through the heart and lodged in the sternum. The Antelope was head down on the bank getting a drink.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

View from the blind, after the shot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used mainly slick tricks, grim reapers, and one G5 striker in the last 10-15 years. I can say that I after using the slick trick razortrick broad heads (discontinued) for probably 15-20 animals in that time I haven’t had a single one go more than 75 yards. The last 6 haven’t gone more than 30-50 yards each.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thunderhead 100s.

Leaves blood trails Stevie Wonder could follow

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Great information, thx.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
What broadheads do you use? Only one coming readily to mind. Maybe "Hot Lips Houlihan? (MASH) smile smile smile

Anonymous! smile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ten or twelve years ago I was new to archery hunting and looked at this board to figure out what broad head to use on my Easton 78xx arrow out of my new compound bow. At that time there were a few guys here who said Slick Trick. My friends here looked at me like I was crazy.
Most of them now are shooting slick trick and not many deer get away.
I go back and forth between the Magnus Stinger with the bleeder and the viper trick on my long bow.
Expect it should work.

Last edited by Bob_B257; 09/21/22.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve used 125 gr. Rocky Mountains for over 40 years. I’ve never had a problem with them. I must have a hundred of them. What do you use?

I've used the 140 gr. Rocky Mountain 4 blade for years and never had issues as that's what I have been tuned into with my old Bow. Same thing, I must have hundreds. My son uses Iron Will Broad heads, and is very happy with them, as their a little pricey but man they fly good at any distance, and he shoots a lot at long distances. I'll probably switch up soon as I'm in the process of switching bows and equipment.

HS58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

You should call Muzzy and monetize that testimonial. smile

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I shoot Muzzy fixed blades because they work.

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Killed a Black Bear. Shot him in the front left shoulder right on the bone and the arrow exited the cavity but not the hide.

The broadhead centerpunched the bone completely shattering it leaving it flopping like a broken chicken wing

Montec G5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Killed a Black Bear. Shot him in the front left shoulder right on the bone and the arrow exited the cavity but not the hide.

The broadhead centerpunched the bone completely shattering it leaving it flopping like a broken chicken wing

Montec G5

Yep.

The Montec is BAD ASS on most shot angles. But it sucks azz on hard angling shots..........which I found out the hard way.

Great head if you can discipline yourself to lay off the hard angling shots.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Here’s the performance of a Montec G5 on a nice Bull

[video:vimeo]https://vimeo.com/124145391?ref=em-v-share[/video]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
slick tricks, magnus and ironwill Ironwill this season

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Simmons Swampsharks and Zwickey Deltas and Cliffs. Used to be a SuperRazorhead user and used Grizzly glue ons when I was shooting wood for a couple years.

The Simmons cut holes like a machete and I don’t even use the big ones.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
Simmons Swampsharks and Zwickey Deltas and Cliffs. Used to be a SuperRazorhead user and used Grizzly glue ons when I was shooting wood for a couple years.

The Simmons cut holes like a machete and I don’t even use the big ones.
Been watching Bayou Bowhunter on YouTube.

He shoots those Swampsharks. Wicked boogers for sure.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’m still using the old Rocky Mtn Gators. Have killed a ton of deer with them over the years and they leave a hell of a hole.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I keep a G5 montec in my quiver for varmints.
Todays peek a boo contest loser

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Motown
I’m still using the old Rocky Mtn Gators. Have killed a ton of deer with them over the years and they leave a hell of a hole.

They made great broadheads

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot a Cow elk the end of Sept. with a 50# Hoyt Torrex Xt and 355gr arrow using a Wack'em 3 blade 100gr. Pass thru, arrow was about 15yards beyond the elk. This was the 3rd elk that I have killed with Wack'ems. I have no reason to change.

Last edited by centershot; 10/29/22.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I gotta get that Montec out of the tree LOL.
Just unscrewed the arrow.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by bbassi

What shaft are you using?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

They are the Easton Axix 5mm 400 spine. I bought them from a guy on the classifieds. They are about 3" longer than they need to be for my draw but they shoot well so I left them like that.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
100 grain Schwacker

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Been a Nap 125 grain spitfire guy for a lot of years. This year I opted to go two blade single bevel OVERKILL SAMURAI 200 BROADHEAD. The sample of one deer offered awesome results with the two blade this Wednesday. Deer galloped away for 15 yards, stumbled & walked another 18 yards before tiping over in well under 30 seconds.

Blood trail was non existent. Still had no trouble trailing him. Sample of one leaves me wishing to try another & use the bow for my rifle any deer tag next weekend. We will see.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

They are the Easton Axix 5mm 400 spine. I bought them from a guy on the classifieds. They are about 3" longer than they need to be for my draw but they shoot well so I left them like that.
Follow up to the first short video. I took the same arrow and broadhead I killed a buck with Thursday to Ohio with me today (touched up of course). This is the result. both lungs and took the one of the arteries clean off the top of the heart.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/lVKGsWjmqQE

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Started with Thuderhead 125's in the 80's. Founnd them to perform well when I shot fingers and pins at 50 pounds from my old Darton. When I switched to Mathews Ifound them inaccurate wiithout a serious tuning. Shot Muzzy's then Rage mechanicals. Switched to Slik trick Magnums then Standards been shooting Viper trick 100's for the last 2 years never shot a fixed blade broadhead that was more accurate put em in the right place there all pretty deadly.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lastest arrow setup.

Attached Images

The land of the free because of the brave.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Zwickey No Mercy 2 blade screw-on.

Used on recurves from 42-45# on the fingers.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
100 grain G5 Strikers.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
100 gr Magnus Stinger 2 blade fixed. Fly great outta my bow and are easy to sharpen. Their replacement blade policy is pretty solid IMO.

C
CBB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Magnus Black Hornet 4 blade
My wife uses Stingers
My boy uses stinger buzzcuts

Hunt...
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Took a few years off from bow hunting and getting back into it. Was using Slick Tricks and loved them. I’ve heard that Slicks might not be what they were before…now made in China, etc.

Is there anything to this?

K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
Grizzlies and Snuffers in 125 grains for the last twenty years

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Magnus black hornet

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
VPA vented 100gr

Rage NC Trypan 100gr

I like guns | optics | fishing
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Just bought 30 broadheads I use on eBay for 35 bucks. 125 Rocky Mountains

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I used the Simmons landshark 125GR for years and killed a pile of deer with them. Switched to Rage 2 blade 100GR after the landsharks got so expensive. I've had good luck with the Rage 2 blade so far. Recently purchased some Muzzy Trocar Xbow 100GR from wally world on sale. Going to try them out after I run out of my stash of Rage 2 Blade. Anyone the Trokar Xbow 100GR for a standard bow? I figure at the rate of deer I kill with a bow I have a lifetime supply of the muzzy if I can get them to shoot right.

Dang hanco, that's a sweet deal!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Magnus buzzcut and stinger

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by hanco
Just bought 30 broadheads I use on eBay for 35 bucks. 125 Rocky Mountains

Broadheads came today, didn’t really need them, but I can’t pass up a good deal

I have more than I’ll ever use

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image upload link

Last edited by hanco; 04/05/23.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Ramcats and vpa's 125 fixed,grim reapers and spitfires are great mechanicals too.

Rehab is for quitters!
THEY are all guilty!
Name one honest politician!
DEFINE Treason.
God bless the USA
Democrats ARE the plague!
RINO'S need to be hunted!
Who's a bigger puzzy than Paul Ryan? Mike Pence? John Kerry ?
REELECT NOBODY! Except Trump
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Slick Tricks out of my Ravin R-10.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wack'em 100gr 3 blade. Have killed 3 elk in the last 3 years. 2 with 60# bows and last year with a 50# bow. Pass throughs on all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used lots of different Brands over 30+ years, using Slick Tricks now, they fly true and are lethal!

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
100gr Swhacker

I get great accuracy from these and they’ve opened up every time and they leave a big ole liquid gushing slice.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I have been shooting the Slick Trick standard 85gn. for years and have had good luck with them. Tough broadhead that flies well.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
because of my bad shoulder and the pain i get just from drawing and shooting a bow , i now at age 69 i have been using a Ravin R-10 X-bow so i have been using Sevr and Swackers both have worked fine . i wanna get a lower poundage X-bow and go back to using Zwickey Eskimo`s and a cut off 22-19 aluminum shafts because i have close to 100 of these old broadheads and shafts. good luck ,Pete53

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the Sevr and the G5 Megameats. Just have to shoot enough arrow weight/speed for the big expandables.

Life is hard,its even harder when you are stupid.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have 100gr Muzzy 3 and 4 blade heads.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
100 Grain Slicktricks and g5 Strikers. (Bought both to test a few years ago)

Both shoot like field points out of my bow.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
Wack'em 100gr 3 blade. Have killed 3 elk in the last 3 years. 2 with 60# bows and last year with a 50# bow. Pass throughs on all.
I have used these off and on for over 10-15 years.

Good little heads and sharper than hell out of the package.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
125gr G5 Montec. I keep hearing the Strikers are better, but I like these.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Slick trick magnums baby!

Last edited by firstcoueswas80; 08/16/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
125 gr muzzy 3 blade 355 fps out of a XCAL X bow

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
125gr Sevr 2.0.

2" cut going in, 2" cut coming out.

J
J
I went to back to a 125 grain Rocky Mountain Razor when I found these classics at an old sport shop last fall. Used them many years ago when I started bow hunting. They HAD 2 packs for $12 ea…🙂

J
J
Ramcat or 4 blade grime reaper

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have an assortment of blades over the years that need to sever some blood vessels. Montecs, wasps, muzzies, thunderheads, and some mechanicals I bought for my nephew and the crossbow I gave him. I don't like mech's for compounds , but may try one on one of my doe tags!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Jasper243
I went to back to a 125 grain Rocky Mountain Razor when I found these classics at an old sport shop last fall. Used them many years ago when I started bow hunting. They HAD 2 packs for $12 ea…🙂

I used the RMR many years ago. Great broadhead.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used Magnus stingers most years and will be using them this year also. They just flat out work better than anything I've used.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I was shooting my bow this evening. I shot through my target and hit some rocks. I had a magnus stinger 125 grain 4 blade broadhead on my arrow. Anyway the head was destroyed. I emailed magnus. They said send them a pic of the damaged head, and they would replace it. Anyways that's what I use

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Muzzy 125’s
Rocket sidewinders
Rocky mt Ti100’s
Steel head XP’s
Rage 2 blade
Rage 3 blade chisel tip
Shuttle T’s ( bought them for elk but never shot anything with them)
Bought a bunch of Rage 2 blade hypodermics when a local shop went out of business and have shot them ever since.

Ti100’s we’re probably my favorite but maybe I’ll try killing a few deer this year with the shuttle T’s.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
2 blade Magnus serrazor on this doe. Ran 30 yards stopped looked around trying to figure out what just happened, started the wobble and over she went. Head is in good shape after passing through.

Last edited by msuhunter; 10/09/23.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Wasp Jak Hammer since the late '90s. Great head that gets it done. Expandable 1 3/4" cut gives you a little extra on a marginal hit. Unless they hit a rock or shoulder, they are pretty durable.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
125 grain Exodus Swept

I have 200 grain tuffhead single bevels in order to try.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
This year I'm using original Snuffers. 125gr plus a 125 insert. This one buried in the spine of my NY buck. I pulled it out, cleaned it, and resharpened it. It's got a tiny divot on one blade but Lord willing I'm going to run it through an Ohio buck this week just because I can. One thing about cut on contact broadheads, they never fail to deploy!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yeah the old Snuffers aint the toughest, but they do sharpen up well and are BIG.
They say 55# decent performance recurve is minimum.
I dunno about that.

But my BW was 55# and when I shot deer w Snuffers there was a lot of barn paint on the ground, quick.

Since I dropped # I dunno if I could run em. And they don't make em anymore.
Guess that kinda answers that question.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Magnus Stinger 125 today. Appears unscathed.
Is bleeder blade model.
Can resharpen main blade, but need to buy a pack of bleeders.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by hookeye
Yeah the old Snuffers aint the toughest, but they do sharpen up well and are BIG.
They say 55# decent performance recurve is minimum.
I dunno about that.

But my BW was 55# and when I shot deer w Snuffers there was a lot of barn paint on the ground, quick.

Since I dropped # I dunno if I could run em. And they don't make em anymore.
Guess that kinda answers that question.
I’m shooting 47#. Whoever told you 55# is a moron, but I’ll buy any old snuffers you don’t want to shoot. 😁

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I am only drawing 28".

And am shooting one of those slow plywood Widows........................ LOL

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have Magnus Stinger 125's w bleeders.
Bear new style single bevel and double bevel Razorheads
Cutthroat 125 single bevel.

Have killed deer w Stingers, recurve and compound so that's my "standard".
Haven't shot anything yet w the others.

Do have some Montec 125's, well two of em. One still in tree from last yr after passing through a groundhog.
I'll make a mini slide hammer to get that out.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Swhacker 3 inch

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Old school 3 blade Muzzys mainly bc I'm cheap and I know they work

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have shot a lot of diffrent broadheads over the years. Taken more deer with 125 grain NAP spitfires than anything else. 2 years ago I opted to give single bevel broadheads a try.

Last falls deer was taken with a 200 grain cutthroat. Watched the deer go down less than 50 yards from point of impact.

If Magnus was offering single bevels earlier I would have likely went with that. good news is they should be available next season.

Looks promising.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
Grizzlies and Snuffers, 125 grain on wood shafts

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
fun to see the pictures of all these fine broadheads i just turned 70 years of age and i wish i was young again to try all these broadheads again . about 6 years ago after 50 some years of bowhunting for deer whitetail and mule deer , bear , elk ,moose ,buffalo and critters while sitting in another deer stand thinking about all those years about bows,arrows , broadheads and blood trails of the past . i decided to go back to basically my old way because these new or all mechanical broadheads sometimes broad trails were poor and my eyes were getting old too , so seeing dots of blood was getting harder for me. 6 years ago was my last year drawing a vertical bow shoulder just could not take the pain anymore with even a 20lb. recurve , before that i had went back too 2219 aluminum shafts ,5 inch helical feathers , hot glued in Zwickey Eskimo broadheads i hand sharpened . the next year i purchased a noisy Raven x-bow and yes this x-bow was accurate as long as you used mechanical broadheads but would not shoot a Zwickey or any other none mechanical broadhead . i sold that Ravin x-bow to a friend and purchased a Excaliber x-bow recurve type, came with carbon type arrow/ bolts i did not like , so i decided to do it my way so i cut some 2219 shafts the right length to fit this x-bow ,put 5 inch feather with a right wing helical and glued in Zwickey Eskimo broadheads . i turned these broadheads and shooting these arrows in my 20 yd. basement archery range and got these arrows/bolts shooting excellent ,so i sharpened these Zwickey broadheads to hunt with. so i went back bowhunting since i ate by my rifle tag because i never seen a decent buck in 2 weeks, i even hunted sunrise to sunset on my rifle stand. so middle of December with 6 inches of snow on the ground ,10 degrees ,calm evening , deer were moving well and coming out to soybean field i was in my ground blind and on the 4th evening in my blind finally a decent buck came out and stood for me at 20 yards eating soybeans . i put that arrow with the Zwickey Eskimo thru that buck`s lungs buck ran 80 yds and tipped over dead and one heck of a bloodtrail and i never have found that arrow yet. biggest body deer i have ever shot shot gun or bow 2nd or 3rd biggest antlers was a 9 point . > so i am staying with these old Zwickey Eskimo broadheads , do you guys know these Zwickey Broadheads have killed every animal in the world over many years ?. Fred Bear started bowhunting with these Zwickey Broadheads too till Fred decided if he made his own broadheads he could make even more money , Mr. Zwickey himself told me told me this too he gave Fred Bear Zwickey Broadheads he kinda sponsored Fred Bear in the old days. bowhunters choice your broadheads , and have some great times bowhunting, and as a great old pro archer told me > shoot to kill,Pete53

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trifecta broadheads deserve a serious look. Lusk archery has conducted broadhead tests for quite some time. The Trifecta produced some of the top scores ever. Single bevel. Multiple configurations from a single ferrule.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I'm a big fan of Rage Hypodermics. Lots of guys hate on them, but after dozens and dozens of successful kills on everything from antelope to elk I man a believer. I do think your setup matters a lot though. I shoot heavy arrows an heavy poundage so that makes a big difference.

Attached Images
IMG_7323.jpeg (33 KB, 76 downloads)
Last edited by LifebytheHorns; 01/24/24.
A
A
Take a look at Swat Magnums

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Ramcat 100

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Far from an experienced bow hunter, but I have been nothing short of amazed by Slick Trick Magnums.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
The old Vortex

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Rage in the cage for me.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
489 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.