Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Just received a notice. Rental horse will be $700 this year, for ten days.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/03/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
expensive nag

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
and cheap at double the price if you need one.....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A real bargain when you consider the cost of hay, pasture, shoes, vet bills and all the other BS that comes with owning one. If you aren’t on one 200 plus days a year, renting them is the was to go.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I been on several myself Saddle, I cuss’em every single time. But they sure beat walking and you need to pick early as I’m sure you know.
The corral gets slap empty most years, novice beware for unexpected sudden moves to test your mobility!

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I just don't know that I could ever ride/trust a rental horse.

There is a lot to be said for foaling them, imprinting them, and breaking them out just the way you want them to be. And knowing the horse well enough to put a bullet down the earhole of one that simply does not meet expectations. We used to "chickenfeed" them. That option is not as easily available today. They still make coyote bait though.

After sixty some years of keeping, breeding, raising, and breaking our own horses, it kind of breaks my heart that there is no longer a horse on the property. But I have two teen aged granddaughters clamoring they each need one. Perhaps that is about to change.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've rented from Sombrero off and on for 10 of the past 30 years. Like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. One year I got a 16 hand part draft horse whose back was so round an ordinary saddle tree wouldnt fit. No matter how tight you cinched it, it would roll at the first side load. Another time I got a horse that was blind in one eye, and spooked accordingly. Another year I got a horse built like Arnold Schwarzenegger who was trained to clicks. One click he would walk, two he would trot, and three gallop. I thought he was the perfect horse until I learned he had a phobia about mountain streams. He would not paw the ice to drink and wouldnt drink where other horses had. I called Sombrero and they took him back after 2 days without drinking.

On the other hand, about half the horses have been good run-of-the mill mountain ponies. I tried going up to their Sweetwater ranch one year to pick out a horse early, but the wrangler's promises were BS. They take the first horse in line when its time to load, no matter what they told you a month earlier. All in all, they have a monopoly on the rental horse market here, and if you want a ride and don't own your own, they are all you've got. They are pretty reasonable about taking back a horse that wont work, however.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A $350 backpack and two legs sound pretty cheap.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by chesterwy
A real bargain when you consider the cost of hay, pasture, shoes, vet bills and all the other BS that comes with owning one. If you aren’t on one 200 plus days a year, renting them is the was to go.

Oh, that is for sure. I tell people that every year. I just paid $1400 for most of this coming year's hay, $450 for two teeth floating, $100 for vaccinations.I figure it cost about $1800 a year for each mule I have and I have little bit of pasture. Feeding for 12 months would jack that up to $3k . Probably more with the way hay prices are soaring.

The down side is those Sombrero horses usually need a little tuning up. They are not for the meek or newby. I have used my own mule for 40 years or so, but my hunting partner usually rents one. His average of getting a decent horse is pretty good. Never had to turn one back in, but they have had their quirks I have seen some real rodeos with others and their rentals. I bet 1/2 of it is the guy not knowing anything

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 48 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.