Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My 15yr old boy has really got into Trapshooting the last couple years and we have recently started traveling a little and he’s shooting about every weekend our schedule allows. He is really starting to burn through the ammo! Thankfully our local Walmart is great about keeping Trap loads and lots of em. I’m paying anywhere from $8.50 to $10 a box. First, I’d like to know if I can save much reloading 12ga Trap loads when I’m paying what I’m currently paying? Also, I’ve reloaded for rifles for a good while but have never reloaded for a shotgun. Are components available for shotgun reloading? And what reloader would be ideal for 12ga in my situation?

Just looking for opinions and suggestions

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I`ve loaded THOUSANDS of rounds of 12 guage on my MEC single stage. Once in a rythem, loading goes very fast.
Components would be the issue. Check your area. Some LGS specilaze in stocking shot shell components. You should also be able to contact your local league for help.
Good Luck.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
In normal times you can save about 40% by reloading 12 gauge targets shells. Save much more loading heavier 12 gauge field and small gauge loads.

These aint normal times. Primers are unavailable, what few show up are triple the pre-covid price. Powder is hard to find and 2-3 times pre-covid prices. Shot is only up 20-25%, but is hard to find. Wads prices up but are more available as there are several aftermarket sources.

Michael

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There are as many reasons to invest in shotshell reloading primarily you will be able to make a better shell by using "Hard shot" Hard shot or high content antimony shot (4% to 6%) can only be found in Winchester AA, Rem STS and Federal target loads. These days this ammo is selling for on average $15.00 a box or more when you can find it.

As a coach for the National Scholastic Clay target program i have seen many a clay bird hit, moved, orange dust
knocked off the bird clay target and not broken....not even a sliver of a piece. Hard shot would have broken the bird.

Since the pandemic shot shell shortages began used progressive reloading machines specifically Hornady and MEC have been selling for absolutely crazy prices. As suggested above purchasing a single stage MEC reloader
is your most viable alternative to get started...if you do.

As far as components, powder is slowing showing up yet you will have to monitor the internet sites every day for availability for a 4 pound or 8 pound tub of powder. It seems the only shotgun primer readily available is the Cheddite 209 (made in France) for $65.00 plus per thousand. Hard shot varies from $50.00 to $60.00 per bag. Wads are not an issue. Back in 2019 Winchester offered a rebate on sleeves (5,000) of 209 primers of $32.00
netting the cost down to $135.00 per sleeve, Presently Ballistic products is selling sleeves of Cheddite primers
for $361.00 including haz mat and shipping.

If I was you would I invest in a reloading set up....the answer is yes. May I suggest you start out with a MEC single stage reloading press and "Shop" for powder and primers. An excellent source for used reloading machines is using "Search Tempest" which allows you to search by state on Craigs List for MEC reloaders.

The powder and primer shortages should ease up in 2023....or so we are told.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I currently have a work friend selling a Hornady 366 shot shell reloader for $500 so that sorta has me thinking about it. Not sure if that’s a good price and/or good press?? I think he said it can load both 28ga and 12ga. I could have misunderstood him too.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I currently have a work friend selling a Hornady 366 shot shell reloader for $500 so that sorta has me thinking about it. Not sure if that’s a good price and/or good press?? I think he said it can load both 28ga and 12ga. I could have misunderstood him too.

$500.00 is about average these days, of course machine condition is everything. I've seen Hornady 366 for sale the last several months on EBAY that looked they were stored in a cow milking barn for the last 10 years.

So many reloaders listed on the internet sites since last year you can tell are coming from garage and estate sales as the sellers state they don't know anything about the machines or the loaders operation.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
There are as many reasons to invest in shotshell reloading primarily you will be able to make a better shell by using "Hard shot" Hard shot or high content antimony shot (4% to 6%) can only be found in Winchester AA, Rem STS and Federal target loads. These days this ammo is selling for on average $15.00 a box or more when you can find it.

As a coach for the National Scholastic Clay target program i have seen many a clay bird hit, moved, orange dust
knocked off the bird clay target and not broken....not even a sliver of a piece. Hard shot would have broken the bird.

Since the pandemic shot shell shortages began used progressive reloading machines specifically Hornady and MEC have been selling for absolutely crazy prices. As suggested above purchasing a single stage MEC reloader
is your most viable alternative to get started...if you do.

As far as components, powder is slowing showing up yet you will have to monitor the internet sites every day for availability for a 4 pound or 8 pound tub of powder. It seems the only shotgun primer readily available is the Cheddite 209 (made in France) for $65.00 plus per thousand. Hard shot varies from $50.00 to $60.00 per bag. Wads are not an issue. Back in 2019 Winchester offered a rebate on sleeves (5,000) of 209 primers of $32.00
netting the cost down to $135.00 per sleeve, Presently Ballistic products is selling sleeves of Cheddite primers
for $361.00 including haz mat and shipping.

If I was you would I invest in a reloading set up....the answer is yes. May I suggest you start out with a MEC single stage reloading press and "Shop" for powder and primers. An excellent source for used reloading machines is using "Search Tempest" which allows you to search by state on Craigs List for MEC reloaders.

The powder and primer shortages should ease up in 2023....or so we are told.

I bought my first shotgun in 1970 and along with it, my first shotgun reloading press, a single stage Honey Bair. A few years later I joined a local Trap club mainly so I could learn to hit flying targets. There I got into league shooting, and later into ATA competitions where I was shooting and reloading 10,000 shells per year. Even before I reached half that many shells, I figured out that with a progressive press I could completely load one shell per stroke instead of the six strokes per shell on the single stage loader. I still have that Honey Bair press set up on my bench that I use mainly for the couple of boxes of hunting loads that I now shoot each year.

Since the OP's son is currently shooting beyond his home club's shoots, I would strongly suggest a progressive loader.

Originally Posted by RickyBobby

I bought my first 366 reloader in the early '80s when they were made by Pacafic. I think they were less than $150 back then. When I switched from mainly shooting Trap to Skeet in the late '80s, I needed to also load 20 and 28 gauges and .410s, so I bought a 366 loader in each of those gauges. I have had excellent luck with those reloaders and figure that I have reloaded somewhere between 250,000 to 300,000 shells on them.

As far as I know, Hornady no longer makes the 366 reloaders, but they still have parts for them.

The 366 reloaders come set up for one gauge, Die sets and the shell holder plate can be bought for other gauges, but changing them is very time consuming and a pita. You're better off with a separate reloader for each gauge.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

S
S
I have both progressive and single station MEC reloaders in 12 ga. Started with the single stage first, then upgraded to the progressive as my son has started shooting more practice and competition rounds. I can reload 3-4 times as many shells with the progressive loader as I can with the single stage. The most expensive part of reloading is not the powder, primers, shot or wads. It's your time. Think of your time in terms of a certain $'s per minute. I'd say a single station will cost (in terms of labor) the same as factory loads when it's all said and done.

Good luck.

5S Farms
Andrew Schliebe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 69 invisible), 2,949 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,132
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.