Print Thread
Hop To
P
Potsy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I bought a pound of True Blue a while back to try in everything from 9mm to .45 Colt. Just opened it today. First off, this is the finest ball powder I’ve ever seen. Slightly coarser than powdered graphite.

I dumped 8 grains to start in the .45 Colt and it barely fills 1/4 of the case. Was going to put some 250XTP’s on top of it (I usually shoot 270-SAA’s, but these are for a buddy) and I wanted to get a baseline over my chrony.

Honestly, I’m worried about case fill. Not just for consistency, but, like, a dangerous under-load (either sticking a bullet in the barrel or detonation).

Anybody running True Blue have any thoughts?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a lb but haven't got to load it yet. Planning on using in a 9mm load.

P
Potsy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I read around a little and apparently, that’s how it does. I looked at my scale a half dozen times convincing myself it was set for 8 grains and not .8 grains.
I’m used to loading Universal and Unique that fill up much more of the case.
It does meter like water.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It doesn't bulk up much but you should find it's excellent in all kinds of applications where you'd normally use Unique - i.e. middlin' to middlin' warm loads.

I've used it in the 9mm with 124 gr jacketed bullets for standard full power loads, the .38 Spl. at standard velocity and just getting into +P velocities, the .357 Mag at 1000-1100 fps, .44 Special and .45 Colt. It provides the best accuracy across all of those of anything I've ever tried. IOW, one powder or another might prove a bit more accurate in one particular caliber/bullet combo but nothing shoots as consistently well across all calibers like TB.

As you've noted, it is very fine grained and meters like water, given any kind of uniformity in working a powder measure it will give extremely consistent charge weights.

Bottom line is that I love this stuff and use it wherever possible.

Fwiw, the best loads going up the caliber scale turned out to be 2 grains apart. Nothing to conclude here but it was an interesting happenstance.
.38 Spl with 158 LSWC - 5 grains
.357 with 158 LSWC - 7 grains
.44 Special with 200 RNFP - 9 grains
.45 Colt with 250 LSWC - 11 grains.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've shot about 6# of True Blue in a 40 S&W with 180 gr bullets and 4# in a 45 ACP using 230 gr bullets. I've been very happy with it and would buy more if I needed more pistol powder.

I had similar concerns regarding the density but my concerns have been unfounded. I wish I would have thought to try it in the 25 and 32 ACP.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've thought about trying True Blue, but have plenty of other options on the shelf and never bought any of it. I don't think it was around the last time I needed to buy an intermediate handgun powder. Maybe one day...

As far as case fill goes, I share that concern. I'm pretty conscientious about inspecting a loading block filled with charged cases using a flashlight before seating. Often when loading a batch of handgun ammo I will intentionally double charge a case to see what it looks like compared to properly charged cases...I think it helps "tune me up" to spot anomalies. I dump it out immediately after looking at it, of course.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I've thought about trying True Blue, but have plenty of other options on the shelf and never bought any of it. I don't think it was around the last time I needed to buy an intermediate handgun powder. Maybe one day...

As far as case fill goes, I share that concern. I'm pretty conscientious about inspecting a loading block filled with charged cases using a flashlight before seating. Often when loading a batch of handgun ammo
I will intentionally double charge a case to see what it looks like compared to properly charged cases...I think it helps "tune me up" to spot anomalies. I dump it out immediately after looking at it, of course.

Smart.

P
Potsy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I’ve done that.
I’ve shot Universal for years and never was really wild about the way it metered. Had a HOT one pop a primer in my Henry .45 Colt back in the fall and all I can figure is some bridges in the Uniflow.
That’s when I decided I’d go ball.
I found 850fps with a 250 XTP out of my 5.5” Bisley at 8.5 grains the other day.
Gonna load that small batch for a good friend then I’m starting on a load for 270-SAA’s at 950-1000fps.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I ran some True Blue tonight in a 9mm. 124 Speer GDHP and did 5.7 to 6.1 grains. 5.9 was the winner for accuracy. Beware these are published +p data loads. I will load some more and test COAL and see what the chrony says. So far no issue with this powder.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Loaded a few hundred rounds of 45ACP a few years ago, still have some powder left. Meters like water, as pointed out above. Good accuracy with both 230 and 185 gr bullets. Good for hot loads in 45, not for cow farts as it tends to run dirty.

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
IC B3

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.