Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 250Sav_age
I know a guy that lost his foot pulling out guys on a sinking ship, no combat, just typical Coast Guard rescue stuff. Is that enough for those that never served?

Did you claim PTSD from the trauma of seeing this? Must have been tough on you to put the mop down, leave the kitchen and go see what happened to a man doing the real work on your boat.

GB1

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A now gone very good friend became a gunsmith after WW2. His disabilities added up to 220%, but since he was able to work with one eye, one leg and multiple other injuries the VA would not qualify him as 100%. He died from a disease related to his injuries.

Retired cat herder.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Sorry to hear that. The way the VA does disability math is strange and I can see where your friend could have a total of 220 and not rate 100 with their system. His eye would likely be about 20%, which to someone rational, would leave 80%. If the leg was worth another 20%, he would get 20% of the 80 %, for 36%. Add 10% for tinnitus, he’d get 10% of the 64%, for a total of 42%, and so on. Then when it all adds up, they round because they pay in 10% increments. It’s all very weird.

Old70

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was medical corps in the Army... with MOSs of 91 B and 91 C... plus a few others...

I didn't see combat, I am not medically disabled... I've had locals here tell me I am not a veteran because I don't have a VA card...
of course these are people who never served.. so they don't know schitt..

I had people that were sent to me, because of my MOS and was to do the testing to set the rating on their disabilities. I didn't set it, just did the report and turned it back over the doctor that was handling the issues...

Two people can have the same disability rating, but totally different circumstances...it wasn't my place to judge, regardless of my opinion.
I could say something to the doctor handling the case, but what he did with my 2 cents worth, was his decision not mine...

one of the things that I had a problem with... you take an injury, and 3 different guys present with the same complaint...
one guy was an E 3 with 2 years of service, the next one an E 8 with 20 years of service, and the third one was a LT Col with 18 years of service..
everything being equal on the injury, you'd think each would get the same rating of disability for benefits...
but it didn't work that way, during my time in at least...,

The E 8 would get a higher percentage rating than the E 3.... and the Lt Col would have a higher disability rating than the E 8.
I keep my opinion to myself, but I thought this was BS... these are all Non Combat related injuries...
I saw as much what I would call "fraud" from officers as I did enlisted, and regardless of time in service..

none of that was my decision to make....

I have issues when injuries for disabilities are bogus, be it military or civilian.. there sure are a lot of welfare bums milking the system, in greater number than in the military ( at least my time in from the mid 70s until the early 80... ( 75 to 82 in my case) or greater percentages...

but growing up as a military dependent, and then also being a veteran.. I do have issues with someone that never served, questions a military guy, who did....I say this even tho I think Jack Mtn, raises a valid point...of the aspects of Fraudulence.. which even military vets have pulled...

but there are people out there that milk the system, a lot more than they should... but then there is limited overwatch on these activities...
and I say this, living in a world nowadays, that you go to a Disability or base of need Office for benefits, you have state employees who will tell you exactly how to fill out the form to "maximize your benefits". they are admittingly telling you or directing you to how best Milk the system. Their motivation? Job security... the more people they get on their welfare rolls, the more job security they have to administer those folks claims...

its back to its all varied on a case by case basis...some folks are legit and some ARE just milking the system...

I guess bottom line is I appreciate the individuals that have the integrity NOT to cheat and milk the system, when the opportunity to do so is so simple and readily available...

I have VA Benefits I've never used... yeah I earned them.. at the same time, I have health care insurance thru my wife's health benefits at the hospital she works at... so my opinion is, leave the spot for treatment and benefits to someone who needs them more than I do... if the day comes I need to use the Benefits I earned for my time in service.. then I know my way to the local VA hospitals and clinics in the area I live in...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cluggins
Originally Posted by 250Sav_age
I know a guy that lost his foot pulling out guys on a sinking ship, no combat, just typical Coast Guard rescue stuff. Is that enough for those that never served?

Did you claim PTSD from the trauma of seeing this? Must have been tough on you to put the mop down, leave the kitchen and go see what happened to a man doing the real work on your boat.

Someone's mom had some black snake in Alabama.

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,760 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.