24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Caught this guy out kicking off the bear rut.

Not-so-great cell phone pics taken at a distance. But he was a big boy.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What state Yoder?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
PA

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
They are on them here. My bear camp in Northern MN.
A week ago I came across a torn up area, huge tracks on a sow and the story was told right there on the ground.
I’m hoping that bore is no stranger come September.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Nice catch with the pic Yoder..

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We watched him come a few hundred yards. He ended up disappearing in a small thicket and I had somewhere I had to be. So I couldn't wait him out for better shots. I wish there were something in the pics that acted as better scale. The pics I got in no way do him justice. My best guess is 450-475 lbs. But I could be a bit light because of the wide open space he was in. One way or the other.............to anyone who would shoot him........likely a bear of a lifetime.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Awesome. Looks plenty good.

Osky

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great pics!

On Vancouver Island at this time of year, three of us heard and watched a black bear making a kind of whiny singing sound. It reminded me of whale song though it was not quite as high pitched. None of us had ever heard a bear make such a sound, and I never have since. We assumed it was some kind of mating sound.

Anybody else heard this?

Another possible bear mating sound: A month ago, some kind of large animal made a loud belch/bellow sound at me when I broke a dry limb as I hiked to a lion calling stand. It was several hundred yards away in forest. Two minutes and 150 yards later I scraped through the limbs of a fallen alder, and instantly the thing bellowed/belched at me again, this time from within 100 yards on the old abandoned road. I set up and called, heard something nosing about within the first five minutes, then nothing for the rest of the hour. I guessed that this was a bear in mating mood, doing an interrogatory bawl to ask what critter was making clumsy sounds in the brush.

If in Canada in Fall, I'd assume this loud bawl/belch was a bull moose interrogatory, but not on the Olympic Penninsula. Bear? Cougar? (I've never seen an elk nor elk track in that watershed or might consider elk as the bellower.)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

About June 1 on Vancouver Island. This bear was about 350 yards away across a big creek and then a swampy meadow. Point and shoot camera. Looked like a big bear to a friend and to me. Bear season was open and we were seeing bears, but we were fishing and not hunting. The friend lives there and has a 7 foot black bear and I helped a grandson tag one a little larger than 7 foot. Fun to watch bears in the spring. I'm still curious as to how big this one would have measured. We measure hides and skulls, never have weighed one.

Last edited by Okanagan; 06/08/22.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
489 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.